Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club marketing - shambolic

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The buses, taxis and bus stops are all good ideas. Plus posters in pubs/shops etc?

I was being a tad facetious. The former works out bloody expensive - and not cost-effective for a one-off game. And this is a club with bugger all dosh.

Perhaps advertising the club, and raising its profile generally is what's required. The posters thing is good - and when they did it last season, it worked out great. Why they're not doing it now - no idea.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I was being a tad facetious. The former works out bloody expensive - and not cost-effective for a one-off game. And this is a club with bugger all dosh.

Perhaps advertising the club, and raising its profile generally is what's required. The posters thing is good - and when they did it last season, it worked out great. Why they're not doing it now - no idea.

Surely they can tell of the database when people last bought a ticket? If so emarket (if they have an opt in email address for them) then and look into SMS broadcasts to these people as well. Both are fairly cheap but effective marketing tools.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

I agree for a one-off game some of the options (TV advertising for example) are a tad OTT. But as you can see from the other posts here the majority view is that the club do not do enough promotion; either specifically for this match or in general.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Surely they can tell of the database when people last bought a ticket? If so emarket (if they have an opt in email address for them) then and look into SMS broadcasts to these people as well. Both are fairly cheap but effective marketing tools.

I assume they do something with all the email address they have gather over the years, sending emails isnt going to cost much if anything?

There is no way you can spin the marketing departments advertising of tickets to make it look good.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I assume they do something with all the email address they have gather over the years, sending emails isnt going to cost much if anything?

There is no way you can spin the marketing departments advertising of tickets to make it look good.

The thing is there is no reason not to make it more targetted / personalised rather than sending an email to everyone on the base.

Just email those that have not bought a ticket for this game reminding them about the offer.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The thing is there is no reason not to make it more targetted / personalised rather than sending an email to everyone on the base.

Just email those that have not bought a ticket for this game reminding them about the offer.

I would email everyone on data base, season ticket holders may have friends who could be tempted for a tenner.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I would email everyone on data base, season ticket holders may have friends who could be tempted for a tenner.

The problem is it is not relevant to season ticket holders and I do delete most of the emails the club send me. The chances are season ticket holders already know and will have told people that might be interested (marketing via word of mouth).

So the target should be those who have purchased tickets in the past, but have not for this game.

Make sure the message you are sending is relevant and it is not relevant to season ticket holders.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Gillingham game a tenner in the South Stand - BARGAIN. Well done club.

But, it would seem that unless you go to games already, visit the seagull shop or go on the Albion website, you won't actually know about the offer.

Last year there were posters all over Sussex, as well as advertising in the local media. That worked, especially for the forest game, with people paying FULL PRICE for a ticket.

This season, there's perfect opportunity to fill the ground, score a few goals against a beatable Gillingham side, and get people coming back for more. Instead, people think they are going to have to pay £25 - money that could be spent on Christmas or a much more enjoyable Friday night.

Mental:thud:

(fair play if the club actually IS advertising the offer...but i've barely seen any mention of it, so can't see that the casual football fan will have!)
i must agree,i used to get posters to put over the 3 schools in lancing and put in my shop,havent had any since september:nono:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Scotty - agree about the student thing. Did they not advertise it at all through the colleges, techs and univiersities?

my friends who go to sussex and brighton uni said they didnt see anything about it

it was even more of a problem relying on local radio/newspapers for that offer. i reckon around 75% of students come from outside the city, and as such will take very little interest in local news, hence they wont see the offer in the argus or hear it on the radio. im the only person i know who buys the gloucestershire echo, and that is maybe once a week to read up on cheltenham and gloucester rfc

a few posters placed in strategic places - like bars and around the unis - would have added god knows how many to the gate - and the same could be done with this offer

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Those posters never advertised the price of the match ticket, so that wouldn't have made any different if they had continued printing them.

:

Would it really be that hard to change the design of the poster to accomodate a £10 sign?

This thread suggests that many actual Albion fans didn't know about the offer - surely even you've got admit that the club could do a lot more advertising, rather than just dismissing the point because it's come from such a negative source?:rolleyes:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Would it really be that hard to change the design of the poster to accomodate a £10 sign?

This thread suggests that many actual Albion fans didn't know about the offer - surely even you've got admit that the club could do a lot more advertising, rather than just dismissing the point because it's come from such a negative source?:rolleyes:

This isnt aimed at TLO.

Some people can never knock the club, even if its clear they could do something better.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
I reckon the club should look into putting a few posters in pubs that show footie on the tele, like the walkabout, king and queen etc...

I am suprised that there does not appear to be any out reach programme for BHAFC into the rest of Sussex.

I only live 10 miles away in Hassocks, that's eight minutes by train from Withdean and yet there is no impact of BHAFC outside of Brighton that I can see. We need to attract people from the whole of Sussex to come to Withdean and if that means spending a few bob then so be it. I constantly see Chelsea, Arsenal, WestAm and now FFS even Pala**se shiirts going up to London.

So they even kn ow that BHAFC exists???????
Isn't this the domain of the club's Community Liaison Officer, one Mr Charles Oatway........

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I am suprised that there does not appear to be any out reach programme for BHAFC into the rest of Sussex.

I only live 10 miles away in Hassocks, that's eight minutes by train from Withdean and yet there is no impact of BHAFC outside of Brighton that I can see. We need to attract people from the whole of Sussex to come to Withdean and if that means spending a few bob then so be it. I constantly see Chelsea, Arsenal, WestAm and now FFS even Pala**se shiirts going up to London.

So they even kn ow that BHAFC exists???????
Isn't this the domain of the club's Community Liaison Officer, one Mr Charles Oatway........

Quite a few QPR in the socks as well

Quite a few QPR in the socks as well

they don't count - in their position I don't begrudge them the money.

But our marketing department needsto get its collective finger out and do something about it!

(OOoh I could be shouting at Wilkins! :lol:)

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Update!!!

The club has produced a Christmas leaflet advertising the £10 tickets and the 12 match season ticket!

Although i expect it's only available at the ticket office...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Maybe they could give away a free raffle ticket for the SKINT car with every ticket for the Gillingham game? Plug it that way. Cos the draw for the thing must be looming innit?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Maybe they could give away a free raffle ticket for the SKINT car with every ticket for the Gillingham game? Plug it that way. Cos the draw for the thing must be looming innit?

That car must be due it,s 3 year MOT by now surely...?

Midikilledmydog

Aug 20, 2006
They should be plugging themselves all over Sussex, what other club has a song that gives the identity ours does, tap into it, and place guards on the borders not letting people who go and support other teams back in. This may also solve the traffic problems and avoid the need to plaster the place with more houses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here