Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club Forum - Tonight (Just back from it)

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
if i lived in poland i don't think flyers in english would persuade me any more to go and watch the local side.

after all a fixture list in any language is pretty straight forward to understand.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
My take on the Bertin situation is this;

Whilst there are, indeed, such things as dignity, proffessionalism and common courtesy, there is also a thing called cutting off your nose to spite your face.

It is not often I say this, but on this the club are wrong. As are many of you. When we are 17th in the league in April, Hammond's injured, El Abd's suspended again, and we have a CM partnership of Fraser and Mayo trying to keep us up, I hope you're all still pleased we didn't sign the rude Frenchman.
What use is he ever going to be for us if he doesn't want to play for us - that he has the attitude that it's him doing us the favour of playing for him - that he doesn't like the club he played for?

It's interesting you're calling into question the professionalism of the rest of the squad when it's Bertin who has behaved liked a spoilt brat.

It looks like we could be heading into another Leon Knight-style showdown on here.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Surely just phoning a number or even sending a text is a lot easier than going into town to buy tickets, or collecting them at the ground. I don't think people will just say "f*** it" when faced with the challenge of typing in an 11 digit code!

That may be the case but it's not as easy as turning up tot he ground with CASH in your pocket and buying a ticket is it.

No doubt you'll have to buy these smart cards which means if Joe Bloggs fancies going to a game of football it's going to add 2, 3, 4, 10 pounds on top of your ticket price which for a one off game might make Mr Bloggs think twice. It's similar to how the AMS ruins the floating fan attending games.

Also, what about away fans, surely they'll have tickets?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
if i lived in poland i don't think flyers in english would persuade me any more to go and watch the local side.

after all a fixture list in any language is pretty straight forward to understand.

I'll phone southampton and tell that it was a waste of time and effort then

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
That may be the case but it's not as easy as turning up tot he ground with CASH in your pocket and buying a ticket is it.

No doubt you'll have to buy these smart cards which means if Joe Bloggs fancies going to a game of football it's going to add 2, 3, 4, 10 pounds on top of your ticket price which for a one off game might make Mr Bloggs think twice. It's similar to how the AMS ruins the floating fan attending games.

Also, what about away fans, surely they'll have tickets?

It would be far easier than turning up at the ground with your cash, I'd have said. You don't even have to move from your beer/telly/blow up sheep to order your ticket.

By the sounds of things, the SmartCard thing, which sounds as though it acts a bit like an Oyster Card does on the Underground, is a glorified season ticket/voucher which you top up for whatever game you want to go to. If all you have to do is dial an 11-digit code to activate it for one game, I can't think of anything simpler. I suspect if you pay for the whole lot in one go, you might get it cheaper.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Good man DK - even if it means going against 120+ NSCers wishes
:thumbsup:

Pride before a fall, I'd say... we have a severe lack of quality in the midfield, and we tell one of the best candidates to fcuk off... poor decision...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What use is he ever going to be for us if he doesn't want to play for us - that he has the attitude that it's him doing us the favour of playing for him - that he doesn't like the club he played for?

It's interesting you're calling into question the professionalism of the rest of the squad when it's Bertin who has behaved liked a spoilt brat.

It looks like we could be heading into another Leon Knight-style showdown on here.

I have no idea if he 'wants to play for us'. The fact that his representatives are asking if the contract is still there suggests he does. Not as his first choice, granted, but what do you honestly expect?

I'm not questionning the proffessionalism of the squad one single bit. I think if he came back they would get on with it. Those who say we shouldn't get him back in case it upsets some of them are the ones questionning their proffessionalism.

How has Bertin behaved like a 'spoilt brat'. In not turning to train with a club he wasn't contracted to? In looking at other options? For employing a rubbish, undiplomatic agent? For being French?

As for the Leon Knight comparison, its frankly laughable;

Effort on the pitch?
AB; Yes LK; No

Atitude on the pitch;
AB; Good LK; Dreadful

Relationships with Management, whilst at the club;
AB; Fine, so far as I am aware. Feel free to enlighten me. LK; Dreadful

Relationship with fans, whilst here;
AB; Good, AB praised them after EVERY away game in the press. LK; Dreadful

After leaving the club;
AB; No contact - lack of tact and diplomacy.
LK; "I hated every minute of it, shit ground, hope they get relegated, etc, ect.."

Just the same, yes.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I have no idea if he 'wants to play for us'. The fact that his representatives are asking if the contract is still there suggests he does. Not as his first choice, granted, but what do you honestly expect?

He came back to us after the deadline, wanting the same contract. DK is only saying NO now because he wanted that same contract. As I understand it, DK was prepared to talk, but the offer was not the same, which is not surprising seeing as that money would have had to be allocated elsewhere. The club's budgets are tight, so a not unreasonable assumption was made - bearing in mind it was four weeks between the deadline passing and his finally contacting the club - that he was not returning.

He didn't want to play for us - then he decided he did, but not for the right reasons - it was only because no-one else wanted him. Would you trust someone who is only playing for you begrudgingly - as was the case here?

The Leon Knight point I was making was a reference to BEFORE all this nonsense kicked off with him, and how opinions were split at the time - not how it ultimately ended up.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I didn't quite get the gist of it but Martin Perry did say that you could order a ticket on your phone (providing it was enabled) and just produce the phone at the barrier (as well as the smart card)

With some of the stuff on its way for mobile phones, I don't think you will have to worry about whether your phone is "enabled" by 2010. There's some pretty impressive stuff on its way, and using your phone as a "smart card" is right up there.

One thing I have always believed about the new stadium is that it will be one of the most advanced and impressive facilities of it's type in Europe. The Community Stadium will be held up as a beacon to others, we are going to be so proud of it. Mobile phone tickets will be only the start of it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He came back to us after the deadline, wanting the same contract. DK is only saying NO now because he wanted that same contract. As I understand it, DK was prepared to talk, but the offer was not the same, which is not surprising seeing as that money would have had to be allocated elsewhere.

QUOTE]

See, now this is more information than was available [to me] earlier. What was put to us was that Bertin came back, asked "is the contract still there?" and was flatly told NO. If the club tried to negotiate from that point then fair play, but that is not the story we were told earlier.

So which is it;

The club don't want him back as it would disrupt the squad?

The club DO want him back, but on the cheap?

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
I'll phone southampton and tell that it was a waste of time and effort then

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

well as you or someone said the fact that they've got some Polish nationals might have something more to do with it. Printing fixture lists in other languages just SMACKS of someone trying to justify their job to me.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
well as you or someone said the fact that they've got some Polish nationals might have something more to do with it. Printing fixture lists in other languages just SMACKS of someone trying to justify their job to me.

There's loads of poles in Southampton.

The club has a Polish bit in the program, puts up posters in Polish in the town and advertises on a local Polish language radio station. They are reaping the financial benefits of being far-sighted.

To me, to have NOT done all this would SMACK of somebody NOT DOING THEIR JOB.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Would anybody else like me to argue with them, before I go off and do a bit of work?

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004

seems u 2 are poles apart on your views

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here