Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club fined £10,000?

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Virgo won his £200 goalscoring bet with Leon Knight.

He should donate at least that to paying this fine.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Have emailed FA as follows

"I have learnt that the FA's disciplinary committee has Fined Brighton & Hove Albion £10,000 for a brawl at a match against West Ham.
Brighton currently is in a desperate financial state with an ongoing financial appeal by the club to raise £2million pounds to keep the club alive as it prepares for another public inquiry on it's application to build a new stadium at Falmer. Fans have so far paid over £250,000 to the club to keep it alive . Many fans have spent hours raising funds as have others. To think that this effort is negated by such a swingeing fine.Surely it could be lessened or postponed in view of the club's financial state?
Please reconsider"

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
The FA says it's duty-bound under its customer charter to respond within three working days.

Probably won't be as quick as the time I managed to get Prosser sacked by the Football League, but here's hoping, eh? :)

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Gaffer said:
Have emailed FA as follows

"I have learnt that the FA's disciplinary committee has Fined Brighton & Hove Albion £10,000 for a brawl at a match against West Ham.
Brighton currently is in a desperate financial state with an ongoing financial appeal by the club to raise £2million pounds to keep the club alive as it prepares for another public inquiry on it's application to build a new stadium at Falmer. Fans have so far paid over £250,000 to the club to keep it alive . Many fans have spent hours raising funds as have others. To think that this effort is negated by such a swingeing fine.Surely it could be lessened or postponed in view of the club's financial state?
Please reconsider"

I forgot to copy my mail to them, but I basically said the fine was disgraceful and they need to look at the financial ability of a club to pay before imposing it and explained alive and kicking to them, will post any response i get.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I have posted my comments. This fine is simply outrageous. The FA's history of seemingly ill considered fines is legendary

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
Stinky Kat said:
I forgot to copy my mail to them, but I basically said the fine was disgraceful and they need to look at the financial ability of a club to pay before imposing it and explained alive and kicking to them, will post any response i get.

Your response will probably be along the lines of..." but you can afford to turn down £20,000 sponsorship deals..."

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
So that's the equivalent of 40 people paying £250 to A & K

or 100 people donating £100!

It's like digging against quicksand! :nono: :nono: :nono:

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
For us, this has probably got something to do with the fracas at Stockport last season as well. It was only 8 months previous and we were fined £5,000 for that as well, so while it is an unnecessarily high amount, I can't say I'm overly surprised.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
McGhees whiskey drinking is taking effect:

In a separate case, McGhee has been fined £1,500 for swearing at the fourth official after the controversial defeat at Ipswich at the end of November.

source, official site

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
If the appeal is turned down, I can see Dick Knight getting naked and painting 'NO FINE' on his body, before running into the FA Headquarters waving his arms about like a looney.

That'll show 'em.

:cool:

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
Biscuit said:
If the appeal is turned down, I can see Dick Knight getting naked and painting 'NO FINE' on his body, before running into the FA Headquarters waving his arms about like a looney.

That'll show 'em.

:cool:

Lets just hope it's not MP (can he run?) otherwise the FA will end up with a beached whale on their premises.:p

Last edited:

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Saint Lennard said:
Your response will probably be along the lines of..." but you can afford to turn down £20,000 sponsorship deals..."

I know where your coming from and i would have taken Archers money, but DK has big principles and its now time to organise a sponsored coffee drinking evening to pay the fine. Alternatively we could have the balls to appeal as it was Mullins who was at fault and the whole thing handbags. The FA are a bunch of power amd out of touch sausage munchers:censored:

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Bloke in my office is a Hammers fan, and he still says their fans consider the Albion defeat to be their worst of the season so far :clap: And that they're up for about four more potential fines for on-pitch and off-pitch trouble.

"We're turning into Tottenham," he said, ashamed. :drink:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I know there's been a few emails sent off, but I can't help thinking the NSC response has been a bit too "oh well never mind" about this. Surely it's something worth getting organised and deluging the FA about in support of a possible appeal.

Anyway, here's what I wrote

re £10k fine for Brighton and West Ham.
Choosing to fine a club in such a desperate financial position as Brighton and Hove Albion £10,000 for an on field scuffle is an unbelievable and outrageous decision. Brighton have been fighting for their existence for some yeas now. The club have spent millions on the ongoing planning application for a new stadium at Falmer and as a result has recently had to ask it's supporters for donations to keep the club alive. Enough history. I cannot believe the FA are unaware of the clubs precarious financial situation so I can only assume it's not very important to you. You must also be aware that the ability of clubs to pay fines is different not only between the divisions but within them as well. If you have any interest in the survival of smaller clubs (which I doubt) surely punishments should be related to their ability to pay. Would you fine Chelsea and West Brom the same for an altercation, or Hull v Wrexham. Heaven forbid if a Yeading player steps out of line against Newcastle, I suppose you would have to repossess their ground. This is as ridiculous and as punitive as the FA points deduction which so nearly cost us our league place in 1997. Please reverse this decision immediately.

Jul 10, 2003
The Icknield Way
Now I'm really angry. Here's a sum:

Brighton:
Annual turnover approx £5m

Size of fine as % of turnover 0.2%

Manchester United:
Annual turnover approx £200m

Equivalent fine for Man U £400,000

No further comment necessary.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Verily I Say Unto Thee said:
Now I'm really angry. Here's a sum:

Brighton:
Annual turnover approx £5m

Size of fine as % of turnover 0.2%

Manchester United:
Annual turnover approx £200m

Equivalent fine for Man U £400,000

No further comment necessary.

king el. We need to get that off to the FA and ask them to explain their fining policy. Sorry to swear, but barstards

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
I've just sent notice of my disgust to the FA - sorry I haven't copied it here, but I did mention the amount of dosh I've put into the A&K fund, and told them I might as well have sent the cheque directly to the FA....along with plenty of others. The FA are so good at looking after the interests of the Premiershite clubs, but couldn't give a monkeys if we go out of business. The FA is ABSOLUTE SCUM.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here