Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

closest you've got to death?

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
yeah, i was talking to someone special to me on msn you see, the person who i'm closest to in the world, so i didnt want to leave her

i'm fine now, i dont know what happened, the stress just took over, so i suppose it was some form of panic attack, but it was just the whole breathing thing that added to it.

i'd explain what brought it on, but i wouldnt want to discuss the sort of personal stuff it was

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
i barely get them, the whole situation was just kinda crushing me
its a one off, i hope

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I hiccupped once. That's as close as i got.
But the other half was stuck in Jamaica last year when a hurricane went through. Fortunately she came back cos the dirty dishes were piling up.

JEM

Jul 5, 2003
Bevendean
Safeway Seagull said:
I get panic attacks. They are shite. Get yourself on some Beta Blockers if they continue. Wicked little things they are, chill you right out.

But you sound such a confident chappie, Safeway. Surprising.
I used to suffer anxiety attacks exacerbated by paranoia brought on by excessive dope smoking. Just the thought of doing certain things would make me sweat, feel sick and go dizzy.
The best cure is facing your fears. Once you realize that being in a crowd, or being in a place with no discernable exit, or whatever brings the attack on won't harm you, they eventually fade away.
I never thought I'd get rid of mine. But I did.

Dr. Jem's surgery is now open.

JEM said:
The best cure is facing your fears. Once you realize that being in a crowd, or being in a place with no discernable exit, or whatever brings the attack on won't harm you, they eventually fade away.

Can relate to that. My panic attacks are not the type brought on by a lack of confidence, speaking in front of people etc, they are the sort where you are 100% convinced that you are going to die at that very minute. Come on without warning as well, f***ing horrible. Certainly got better in the last year though I'd say.

Funny though, the only time I never get them is when I'm at football. Strange. Guess I'm totally distracted.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Safeway Seagull said:
they are the sort where you are 100% convinced that you are going to die at that very minute.

thats how i felt.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Brunning attacking me with a bottle.

Jul 5, 2003
BN11
Mentioned this in a thread a few months back and I'm not sure how close to death I actually was but to cut a long story short I got out of my depth in the sea (I'm not a great swimmer y'see) and started to panic which wasn't at all nice. I was on a boogie board (a short surf board that you lie on) and I was being taken out to sea or so it seemed. Managed to drag myself back to shore, coughing and spluttering the whole way, on a rope that was securing a marker buoy. Not a pleasant experience and I'll repeat what I said last time I told this story which is don't f*** about with the sea 'cos it'll win.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
thanks safeway:)

thats only my second ever panic attack, my last was brought on by the same issue a few months ago

They are bastards. I had my first when I was 20 and have been getting them regularly ever since, although like I say they've got better in the last year.

The worst thing about them is the effects don't just last the length of the panic attack. They promote depression too and give you a general feeling of not being in control of things.

f***, we're getting deep. Perhaps we should set up an NSC self-help group?!

Time for one of these:

:dance:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I came near when I was about 18 months old. I was given penicillin (which I now know I'm allergic to). I went into a coma and, apparently, my grandmother was told that I wouldn't survive the night.

I had a malignant tumour removed when I was 6.

Was in car crash on the M4, where we just missed a bloody great lorry before wrapping the car around a concrete pillar.

And I got swept out to sea in Thailand (I didn't see the no bathing - treacherous current signs). Had to be rescued by an Aussie.

Reckon, I've used up a few lives by now.

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
Safeway Seagull said:
I was in a house fire in 1990. The only reason we got out alive was because we had an electric door bell and the wire went over the frame of the living room door, where the fire started. The heat of the fire wealded the wires together and set the door bell off. Middle of the night. Would have definitely died if that hadn't have happened. Scarey.

I was there too :) Oh, actually I mean :(

f*** it - I'm still alive so :drink: :drink: :drink:

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
i had some weird things that i suppose were like panic attacks in my early 20's. luckily i always got them in a manageable situation apart from once when i was standing on the north stand and i could do nothing but just try and keep calm and as jem says it faded away. anyway the closest i came to death was visiting an ex in paris. got the plane there, then metro, came out of exit, up to the road, looked right (like any normal person!) empty road, mid step out into road car comes screaming past me from my left horn blaring. milli second earlier paris roadkill:shootself

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Had an operation to remove a double hernia when I was 6 months old and became dangerously anemic. Doctors couldn't figure out why but gave me a pint of red stuff which sorted me out... When I turned 18 I started giving blood and still do to this day.

Someone out there saved my life. :wave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here