Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clearing the tents - about time too!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
So you're saying people who earn more money work harder than those who earn less? Bankers work harder than, for example, nurses, teachers, firemen, anyone else?.

Obviously it is not as straightforward as that, but I always find it strange that people seem to think these guys in the City sit there doing nothing and getting paid loads of money for it, while the poor nurses, teachers etc work much harder for less reward. My Brother-in-law was an investment banker and probably earned a million quid a year, but f*** me did his company want a slice of his life for that. He used to get home at 2am and then get the 5am train back in to work again in the morning, and that was on a good day. On a bad day he slept in the pods they have in the office for when it was too busy for him to go home. He hardly ever saw his family and when he did he was too knackered to do anything with them. Could your average nurse or teacher do that job? No way. I know I couldn't.

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
Banks, oil companies and the media only dominate because we haven't had an effective government for generations. It's their job to stop excessive greed but they don't because politics is run by PR rather than by people who want to do the right thing. As long as the people think they're doing the right thing then they don't seem to care. If they actually did the right thing occasionally and took tough decisions then they wouldn't get re-elected and so the spiral continues.

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
What annoys me about these protestors is that they appear to be a rent-a-mob. I recall reading a while ago about a group of demonstrators who were claiming that the government should help fund their organisation (which was set up as a protest support group or something such) as it was the only way they could continue their work (as a rich benefactor had said he/she intended to end funding). Their work, as it turned out, involved protesting full-time whilst claiming benefits.

Personally I find that a little bemusing...

Sausage

The wurst of the wurst.
Dec 8, 2007
Obviously it is not as straightforward as that, but I always find it strange that people seem to think these guys in the City sit there doing nothing and getting paid loads of money for it, while the poor nurses, teachers etc work much harder for less reward. My Brother-in-law was an investment banker and probably earned a million quid a year, but f*** me did his company want a slice of his life for that. He used to get home at 2am and then get the 5am train back in to work again in the morning, and that was on a good day. On a bad day he slept in the pods they have in the office for when it was too busy for him to go home. He hardly ever saw his family and when he did he was too knackered to do anything with them. Could your average nurse or teacher do that job? No way. I know I couldn't.

I reckon I might manage it for a million a year.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
So you're saying people who earn more money work harder than those who earn less? Bankers work harder than, for example, nurses, teachers, firemen, anyone else?

People are not protesting against people earning what they deserve, are they. They are protesting because the vast majority of people in this country are facing a tougher future, because of the actions of a small minority of people. And yet the minority who caused this are the only ones who aren't suffering, and in fact in many cases seem to be profiting greatly from the situation.

Well said.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Meanwhile it seems quite funny that nobody takes any notice of those who have chosen to camp out on a massive roundabout (Victoria Gardens) in the centre of Brighton in the cold, wind and rain.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I reckon I might manage it for a million a year.

You reckon? f*** that, there's more to life than money.

He now owns a Garden Centre and is far happier.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
:clap::clap:
Yes, I agree.

We should continue living in a world dominated by greed and wealth where oil companies, banks, and media corporations control and exploit every element of our daily lives.

Yeah, those idiots trying to make a small difference by protesting should all be moved on because people trying to get to work in oil companies, banks, and media corporations are having their daily routines thrown into chaos by wasting one, possibly two, minutes by going another way.

I think we should go back to just accepting everything we are told, buying crap we don't need, aspiring to buy even more crap we don't need, and criticising anyone who might possibly question the status quo.

:clap::clap:This

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Banks, oil companies and the media only dominate because we haven't had an effective government for generations. It's their job to stop excessive greed but they don't because politics is run by PR rather than by people who want to do the right thing. As long as the people think they're doing the right thing then they don't seem to care. If they actually did the right thing occasionally and took tough decisions then they wouldn't get re-elected and so the spiral continues.

The governments are run by the banks,oil companies and media.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
and how did he afford to buy his garden centre?

By working in the city for 10 years and nearly killing himself. You would not believe how different he looks nowadays, since he left it's like 10 years have come off him.

It's not as fun drinking with him anymore though!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
By working in the city for 10 years and nearly killing himself. You would not believe how different he looks nowadays, since he left it's like 10 years have come off him.

It's not as fun drinking with him anymore though!

which I suppose is the point, many of us work exceedingly hard for 30,40 years and have no prospect of buying a garden centre at the end of it. Well done to him, but it is an inarguable fact that too much of the wealth in the world is owned by a small minority of people.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Meanwhile it seems quite funny that nobody takes any notice of those who have chosen to camp out on a massive roundabout (Victoria Gardens) in the centre of Brighton in the cold, wind and rain.

Huh. I've never thought of it as a roundabout before...

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
which I suppose is the point, many of us work exceedingly hard for 30,40 years and have no prospect of buying a garden centre at the end of it. Well done to him, but it is an inarguable fact that too much of the wealth in the world is owned by a small minority of people.

Instead of envying the wealthy, why not consider the American approach of seeing them as role models and figuring out how to emulate them.

So bankers earn too much money and you don't?

Well one obvious solution is to choose banking and finance as your career path.

Stop complaining. Get out there and see how you can equal their achievements and wealth. There are no rules that I am aware of which bar certain people from entering the world of banking.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Is there not a tremendous irony here. The Occupy movement are basically saying the way society works is wrong. Yet this is a society that allows them to protest and provides them with the tools (tents, smartphones / chargers, social media, cashpoints) to do so. Whereas if they got what they wanted the first thing they'd have to do is shut all the ports and airports to stop the majority who they claim to represent legging it to France before they were billeted in a one bedroom flat in Droylesdon with a pair of brown trousers, a little red book and some rice.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I have never had a problem with people who make money through hard work and/or risking their own money. The problem is with bankers is they now know they are too big to fail and they can risk someone else's money knowing if it all goes wrong they will get a bailout.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The protesters are genuine and thay are doing a good job. They are doing what they can with limited resources and suport. People ought to have more respect for them.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Yes I understand that, but my point is that whilst these guys do earn huge amounts of money, they don't sit around doing sod all all day, they work seriously hard for it. Seriously hard. Yet your average teacher who works 8am - 4pm (and yes I know they do lots of marking) and gets 10 weeks off a year seems to think that they are basically doing the same amount of work as them but getting a lot less for it. They aren't.

This guy very nearly lost his marriage because of his job, and the effect on his health was obvious. His family were begging him to do something else, they didn't care about the money after a while, they just wanted him back. But it's very hard to walk away from that king of money once you are earning it.

I know another one as well and he is a nightmare, he literally lives at his office, even when on holiday he is still working more or less 24/7. It's no life for someone who has a young kid, which he has. Sure, the rewards are massive, but I don't think it's worth it personally. Especially when you then have a heart attack and die at 45 and so don't ever get to enjoy it.

Instead of envying the wealthy, why not consider the American approach of seeing them as role models and figuring out how to emulate them.

So bankers earn too much money and you don't?

Well one obvious solution is to choose banking and finance as your career path.

Stop complaining. Get out there and see how you can equal their achievements and wealth. There are no rules that I am aware of which bar certain people from entering the world of banking.

This is another thing that I never understand. You don't earn enough money? Do something about it. Start your own business. Make it happen. Cant do it because you don't have the confidence / flair for business? Well then why should you earn as much as somebody who does?

I have never had a problem with people who make money through hard work and/or risking their own money. The problem is with bankers is they now know they are too big to fail and they can risk someone else's money knowing if it all goes wrong they will get a bailout.

With the guys at the very top perhaps. But I doubt they'd last very long if they kept losing their clients' money. And if you are making your clients £10 million a year for example, then it stands to reason that you should get a million or so of that yourself. If you are teaching kids in a school, why should you get a million quid for it? I'm not suggesting that any teachers are saying that they should, but if a banker is making his clients £10 million a year, why should he only be paid £30K a year for it?

Surely it stands to reason that the more money you make for your company, the more money they pay you?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here