Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clarification from Paul Barber on Dick Knight Selling his shares

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
And? Why is it so important for fans to have a token share in the club? It's about as useful as one of those titles that say you own a square foot of the moon.

The question of why it is important or not for fans to own shares is irrelevant - Might just as well ask why is it important that he doesn't sell them to fans

The simple fact is DK wants to sell his shares to fans and if he made the price to low then it is likely he wouldn't be able to.

The shares belong to DK - I'm not going to say he's wrong if he would like them to be sold to fans.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I presume they have a copy now ???

Still not too late for them to make a magnanimous gesture.

If they are not happy with the share sale ( and I don't know if they are or not ), then they won't stock a book which contains the share application forms I suppose ???

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Seemed reasonable to assume that you either didn't know the meaning of the word or hadn't read my post fully - otherwise why ask why the club should offer to sell the book - I never said they SHOULD sell the book and certainly didn't suggest that they NEED to be magnanimous.

The answer is in the word - it would be generous and forgiving of them if they did.

The word is about making a goodwill gesture without having an obligation to do so therefore it's impossible to NEED to be magnanimous. It's a contradiction in terms.

I'll ask once again why you're not asking for DK to be magnanimous? Please, no more pompous responses.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The shares belong to DK - I'm not going to say he's wrong if he would like them to be sold to fans
So why didn't he do this at any point during the TWELVE years he ran the club then?

Ah yes, because he didn't fancy dealing with the admin cost of handling hundreds of noddy shareholders and by the end of it preferred to surround himself with an inner circle of backslapping lickspittles.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Or because he wants to make a few bucks.

I don't begrudge him that, but I don't appreciate the manner in which he is going about it, suggesting he is giving them away when he isn't.

Absolutely that.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Not stocking it in the club shop seems a little stroppy to me - as if there's absolutely no correlation whatsoever between the customer base in there and the people interested in this book: they'd sell LOADS in there at this time of year in particular and they know it.

So its absence from there seems...stroppy. I may well be wrong and maybe there's another good reason but given the usual tat they stock I don't think they're normally overly discerning. Plus I'm sure the margin on each book sold in there would make a massive difference to meeting those all important FFP targets.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
So why didn't he do this at any point during the TWELVE years he ran the club then?

Ah yes, because he didn't fancy dealing with the admin cost of handling hundreds of noddy shareholders and by the end of it preferred to surround himself with an inner circle of backslapping lickspittles.

You could ask why he didn't sell shares instead of wanting things like the 40 notes fund, people would have paid a lot more for shares at Withdean but then again that would have meant Tight being answerable

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not stocking it in the club shop seems a little stroppy to me - as if there's absolutely no correlation whatsoever between the customer base in there and the people interested in this book: they'd sell LOADS in there at this time of year in particular and they know it.

So its absence from there seems...stroppy. I may well be wrong and maybe there's another good reason but given the usual tat they stock I don't think they're normally overly discerning. Plus I'm sure the margin on each book sold in there would make a massive difference to meeting those all important FFP targets.

They haven't refused to stock it. They have said they won't stock it without an advanced copy, and I can't imagine any other outlet in the world behaving any differently to the club on this issue.

So you'll describe the powers that be at the club as "stroppy". How would you describe Dick Knight's behaviour?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Maybe because when he ran the club his shares controlled a much higher percentage and selling any would have lost him control over say Archer ? Let's not forget, he and Archer held the same percentage for a long time with Martin Perry holding the deciding percentage.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013

The club didn't know what was in it as Dick Knight refused to let them see an advance copy. If you owned a business, would you stock a product that you had no knowledge of what it contained - particularly if it could be something that is extremely uncomplimentary or detrimental about you?

As far as I can see, the decision not to stock isn't stroppy at all. It's sensible and bought on because of Knight's stubbornness when it came to allowing the club to decide whether it's content was suitable to stock on their premises.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You could ask why he didn't sell shares instead of wanting things like the 40 notes fund, people would have paid a lot more for shares at Withdean but then again that would have meant Tight being answerable

At first he was quite hostile to the 40 Notes Fund. He softened his attitude later.

But then again, so were many fans, who saw this as a ruse to free Dick and the board of their obligations.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
They haven't refused to stock it. They have said they won't stock it without an advanced copy, and I can't imagine any other outlet in the world behaving any differently to the club on this issue.

So you'll describe the powers that be at the club as "stroppy". How would you describe Dick Knight's behaviour?

I bet they don't stock it even now despite the fact they can now have a copy !

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Maybe because when he ran the club his shares controlled a much higher percentage and selling any would have lost him control over say Archer ? Let's not forget, he and Archer held the same percentage for a long time with Martin Perry holding the deciding percentage.
When was Archer finally bought out? Half way through Knight's tenure I would guess.

But as Ernest says, that didn't stop the permanent bucket rattling or 40 note fund which was criminally ignored on his watch, when he could quite EASILY have sold some of his controlling interest after Archer left.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

Stroppy ? If someone potentially wrote a load of damaging things about you in a book - would you then publise the book ? Yes the shop would have sold a fair few copies, but if Dick and the publishers are being childish and wont send the club a copy - then why the hell should they stock it ?

That and the books contain the share forms - which the club of course havent actually approved anyway. I mean would the Chelsea club store contain application forms for shares in the club ?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
That and the books contain the share forms - which the club of course havent actually approved anyway. I mean would the Chelsea club store contain application forms for shares in the club ?

The club don't have to "approve" it.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

I don't think that's the point he's making.

The initial settlement was 49.5/49.5/1. But as more investors (aka donors) came on board, the percentage of shareholdings changed. By the time he stood down, he was still the largest shareholder, but could easily have been defeated in any given vote.

I don't know who Simster is referring to when he refers to 'backslapping lickspittles' - if he means other board members, we would be talking about Sussex businessmen. If he means the FFA team, it's they who constantly bollocked/facepalmed Dick, rather than roll over for tummy tickling sessions.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
At first he was quite hostile to the 40 Notes Fund. He softened his attitude later.

But then again, so were many fans, who saw this as a ruse to free Dick and the board of their obligations.

It wasn't a pop at those who organised it, it's just amazing how people change when there is a chance of a quick quid, if he had sold shares at 40 quid a pop that would have made a lot of difference and nobody would have bought them expecting a return

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here