Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clarification from Paul Barber on Dick Knight Selling his shares

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I presume they have a copy now ???

Still not too late for them to make a magnanimous gesture.

Dick Knight doesn't send the club an advance copy, Dick Knight doesn't tell the club about his intention to sell his shares even though obliged to and instead goes public to a newspaper and its the club that need to make a magnanimous gesture?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Dick Knight doesn't send the club an advance copy, Dick Knight doesn't tell the club about his intention to sell his shares even though obliged to and instead goes public to a newspaper and its the club that need to make a magnanimous gesture?

Magnanimous - adjective - generous or forgiving, especially towards a rival or less powerful person

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Magnanimous - adjective - generous or forgiving, especially towards a rival or less powerful person
But as Buzzer alludes, why would they bother considering Dick Knight's behaviour towards them? Knight has behaved appallingly.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
It is ONE POUND for EACH share.

This I know for a fact, as it says so on the form in the back of the book.

I guess otherwise someone would just say, "Here is a quid, can I have a million shares please..."

Yes, if he really was feeling charitable like the message at the start of the book suggests, he could offer say 100 (after all he has 1million and I doubt 10000 people will be interested) at a cost of £1.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yes, if he really was feeling charitable like the message at the start of the book suggests, he could offer say 100 (after all he has 1million and I doubt 10000 people will be interested) at a cost of £1.

Exactly. In his interiew with the simpering Guardian woman, it intimates that they are only not being given away, as financial rules dictate that isn't allowed.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Thanks for the condescending response. Bit of a tip for the future - if I don't understand any word you write something along the lines of "what does that word mean?"

Once again I'll ask why it is that all the concessions are being asked of the club when it's DK that's deliberately doing the shit-stirring to generate interest in his book.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
But as Buzzer alludes, why would they bother considering Dick Knight's behaviour towards them? Knight has behaved appallingly.

Appallingly seems a bit strong - the club wanted to see an advance copy before stocking it but City Books / DK refused, as was their right. Maybe neither thought having it in the club shop would sell very many ?

He then offers to "offer" to sell his own shares - he needs to offer them to current shareholders first but I can't see anything wrong with him making public his intention to sell them to fans if possible.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

Possibly because if he did so and is, as many suggest, obliged to first offer the shares for sale to current shareholders it would be more likely that they would buy all the shares and none would be left for sale to the fans.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
There's one thing I'm a bit confused about - so can anyone clear this one thing up?

Dick (or anyone else) if they wish to sell has to offer their shares to other shareholders first? Right, got that bit.

What I'm confused about is that any transaction needs permission from 'the club'. Seeing as 'the club' and 'the shareholders' aren't totally one and the same, can anyone clarify who exactly needs to OK this offer?

The Board of Directors or the other shareholders? Or both?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
This - why should the club stock something when potentially its going to slag them off ?

Not sending the club an advance copy surely shows that there is something the club wont like in it - otherwise a copy would have been sent and it would have been stocked in the club store.

But that also depends how petty the things they take umbrage at is - by the sounds of other things recently, the bar is set very low on that front these days - it doesn't seem to take much to rile the powers that be. It's quite funny: again, their little strop on this is all fabulous free publicity for which DK will probably be highly grateful.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
But that also depends how petty the things they take umbrage at is - by the sounds of other things recently, the bar is set very low on that front these days - it doesn't seem to take much to rile the powers that be. It's quite funny: again, their little strop on this is all fabulous free publicity for which DK will probably be highly grateful.

Where have they had a strop?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Thanks for the condescending response. Bit of a tip for the future - if I don't understand any word you write something along the lines of "what does that word mean?"

Once again I'll ask why it is that all the concessions are being asked of the club when it's DK that's deliberately doing the shit-stirring to generate interest in his book.

Seemed reasonable to assume that you either didn't know the meaning of the word or hadn't read my post fully - otherwise why ask why the club should offer to sell the book - I never said they SHOULD sell the book and certainly didn't suggest that they NEED to be magnanimous.

The answer is in the word - it would be generous and forgiving of them if they did.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
There's one thing I'm a bit confused about - so can anyone clear this one thing up?

Dick (or anyone else) if they wish to sell has to offer their shares to other shareholders first? Right, got that bit.

What I'm confused about is that any transaction needs permission from 'the club'. Seeing as 'the club' and 'the shareholders' aren't totally one and the same, can anyone clarify who exactly needs to OK this offer?

The Board of Directors or the other shareholders? Or both?

Depends on the Articles of Association but normally the only constraint is that the shares have to be offered to current shareholders first - not that they have to give permission.

So let's say DK gets interest in buying 500,000 of his shares - he needs to go to the current shareholders and say, "I'm selling 500,000 shares - do you want them ?". Whatever is left of that 500,000 after current shareholders have brought what they want then the rest he is free to sell to anyone. There might be further restrictions but what I've stated is the normal standard.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Where have they had a strop?
Exactly. There hasn't been a strop at all. It's been radio silence from all at the club, which of course they can afford to do as they do hold all the aces.

*sigh* I do wish Knight could have just walked away from the club in a dignified manner.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Possibly because if he did so and is, as many suggest, obliged to first offer the shares for sale to current shareholders it would be more likely that they would buy all the shares and none would be left for sale to the fans.

Or because he wants to make a few bucks.

I don't begrudge him that, but I don't appreciate the manner in which he is going about it, suggesting he is giving them away when he isn't.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

And? Why is it so important for fans to have a token share in the club? It's about as useful as one of those titles that say you own a square foot of the moon.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
And? Why is it so important for fans to have a token share in the club? It's about as useful as one of those titles that say you own a square foot of the moon.

It's not important, at least not to me. But I still think it's nice, to use that sickly word. Like having a paving stone outside the Amex, it serves no meaningful purpose and delivers no obvious benefit. But it's still nice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here