Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Claims Chris Wilder demanded £4million pay off from Sheffield Utd

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Do bank managers sign contracts for a year or two years with clauses, agreed at the time of signing?
You’re not comparing like with like.

No - but before IR35 it was certainly quite common for IT professionals who were contracting to be on three or six months deals that they knew would be extended in all likelihood. Being released after three didn't seem to stop many getting another contract somewhere else. I've met some bloody useless contractors in my days and I'm slightly annoyed I didn't get on the gravy train when it was still at full speed.

Of course, there were some bloody good ones who added value too.

That's a bit more "apples and apples" isn't it?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
There are real parallels between Hughton and Wilder.

Both took their teams to the Premier League having taken over a poor team. Both were trying to replace a club legend striker but ended up with the likes of McBurnie, Brewster, Mousett, Andone and Locadia who couldn’t get the top level goals required.

As the Dyche example shows, Sheff Utd have just sacked the man most likely to get them back to the Premier League, madness.

Wilder’s transfers did not hit the mark quick enough; his recruitment team have really let him down but his top ten Premier League finish was astonishing and should have earned him the right to bring his club back to the top flight. He may have been able to get them top ten again but I think Hughton’s ceiling was around 15th place, he was never going to progress the club unless we got lucky finding an exceptional in-form striker, Wilder amazingly found goals throughout the team in his debut EPL season.

Thanks goodness we have a chairman who understands long term projects and investments and isn’t throwing his toys out of the cot like the wretched Sheff Utd owners. They don’t understand the damage they have done to that club pathetically trying to manipulate the supporters against Wilder; they’ll find out soon enough who the fans back, my guess is it won’t be them.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not at all, but the team are bottom of the League.

It’s always been part of footballs bubble away from the real world , that a manager at any level gets the sack for effectively not doing his job properly, yet more often than not another club comes along and gives the said manager the same type of job he got the sack for.

What other walk of life would that be the norm?

Correct me if I’m wrong but most Bank Managers down the years that got sacked by Lloyds didn’t immediately go and get a bank managers job with one of the other three banks?

If they got sacked, no - but in the bank it’s very difficult to get sacked. I went through goodness knows how many ‘restructures’ at Lloyds, Barclays and HSBC and in every case virtually anyone made redundant who wanted a job with another bank went and got one (myself included once when I did pretty much what Wilder has done and negotiated a compromise agreement).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Do bank managers sign contracts for a year or two years with clauses, agreed at the time of signing?
You’re not comparing like with like.

At senior levels, yes they do now. Directors and above in many banks are often on 12 month rolling contracts now (so if they’re exited they essentially get a year’s salary)

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
If what I’ve heard is true then I’d be more worried about what this means about the depth of this Prince’s pockets.

Could be difficult and hard times for them if they don’t bounce back at the first attempt.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
but did inherit a squad with much more spent on it than that

Wilder is clearly a fool for not changing the style of play this year, he would have kept his job and changing from a defensive style to ball retention and attacking football is a piece of piss. Even GP has nearly made it work and he’s a useless clown who’d struggle to get a job at a lower league European team I’m told :wink:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
This.

In no way did Wilder "fail". Two promotions and a season where they were on the verge of Europe, making us look like mugs at The Amex in the process. And all that time a Blades fan who went to training on a Sheffield bus.

If I was a Blades fan I'd be annoyed with the Saudis.

I've got a Blades supporting mate. Amongst his group they loathe the Prince but say the previous bloke wasn't any better.

As for Wilder they are pissed off with him. Reckons he wasn't going to be sacked so no justification in asking for the £4mill. Wanted to quit but felt he was due a few quid for earlier success. All speculation of course but I'm not sure Wilder comes out of this too good.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Not at all, but the team are bottom of the League.

It’s always been part of footballs bubble away from the real world , that a manager at any level gets the sack for effectively not doing his job properly, yet more often than not another club comes along and gives the said manager the same type of job he got the sack for.

What other walk of life would that be the norm?

Correct me if I’m wrong but most Bank Managers down the years that got sacked by Lloyds didn’t immediately go and get a bank managers job with one of the other three banks?

Bank managers also do not get customers of the bank demanding they are sacked, although that is not something we heard at all from the Sheff Utd fans.

Sheffield Utd were punching well above their weight last season and for whatever reason suffered the most from the first lockdown and have never recovered from that. Who knows, had Villa not cheated them out of a win the first game back they might have continued and ended up in Europe this season. I think many people expected them to struggle this, their 2nd, season like many clubs who come into the premier league after a long gap.

I'm sure most clubs will look at his achievements rather than this £4m which, after all, if it true is a drop in the ocean compared to getting promoted to the premier league, after all, unlike teams such as Newcastle, they hardly bought their promotion so it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't almost have a pick of clubs in the championship.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Didn't Wilder spend 53 million quid? Potter didn't spend anywhere near that.

it's not Potter's to spend, just to jointly sign off on. Nevertheless, £20 million on Webster and £20 million on Maupay (reportedly anyway) before we'd kicked a ball under him.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
When I left my last job I asked for a £1m golden handshake and got a 'sorry you're leaving card' and a box of maltesers.

When I handed in my notice on the Friday, I'd already booked the following Monday off. Got a phone call from my boss late on that Monday night saying there was no need to work my notice or come back in – just to pick up my stuff 'whenever I was passing' but not to make a big thing of it by going around saying goodbye to everyone. Needless to say I was up there first thing on Tuesday to get my stuff. It wasn't an 'acrimonious' departure, but I also took the opportunity to tell him that it felt like I'd been fired, having effectively been frog-marched off the premises.

Needless to say I got no leaving gift or card :lolol:

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
£4m is around the sum I would expect for a bottom 6 PL club manager that still has a couple of years of his contract to run .

He’s probably on around £2m a year .

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
it's not Potter's to spend, just to jointly sign off on. Nevertheless, £20 million on Webster and £20 million on Maupay (reportedly anyway) before we'd kicked a ball under him.

Another £18 million (reportedly) on Trossard too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

At least 2 of those came here because of GPott, we're lucky to have all four.
Once again trying to push the 'poor lil old Brighton' mantra comes unstuck.

Brighton and Hove Albion v1.2 just isn't that club.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

All three of them a lot better investments than £22m for Berge, £20m for McBurnie, £26m for Brewster and £20m for Ramsdale and the £30m or so spent on other gash.

No idea how much of those signings are down to Wilder, but failed recruitment is what makes them dead last in the league now.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02u3pQD3VM0

Interesting reading the comments on YouTube.

Lots of ghost accounts saying how great the owner is!

"Looks like Chris isn't the man he was really portrayed to be"
"I wish more owners were this open."
"Each and every word came from his heart. You can sense he didn't prepared for interview as he was just being honest."
"Very honest interview from him, no reason to not believe anything he’s saying. Fair play didn’t hold back for a second."
"Wilder are the kind of people that change good people to become brutal. Unfortunately this owner will not trust future managers"
"I agree with the Prince that the new recruits have not turned out to be a good return on investment. We needed players to perform NOW, not only in the future."

This looks like part of a paid PR campaign to discredit Wilder with supporters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here