Votes: 70 46.7%
  • Meh

Votes: 23 15.3%

• Total voters

footychick

Nicola
Dec 8, 2005
Soham, United Kingdom
In all honesty, I can't bring myself to care an awful lot either way who wins, but I'd marginally favour United. So much of the stuff that's said about them is just people getting sucked in by the hype. They're constantly accused of things that every other club at their level is guilty of. For example:

-their fans are all from Surrey/Cornwall
Sure, they have plenty of "fans" all over the country, and the world, but that's no different to Liverpool during the 1980s. My lifelong dislike for Liverpool stems from being at school during the 80s and being surrounded by kids (in Hurstpierpoint, that well known suburb of Toxteth) wearing Liverpool shirts. Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs: they're all exactly the same. It's what (relative) success does. I even remember seeing people in Blackburn shirts around these parts in the mid 1990s.

-They're not the real Manchester side
I'd love to know what proportion of their average crowds are from Greater Manchester. I bet it's far higher than people want to believe. Alright, plenty come over from Ireland each game, but again, that's no different to Liverpool, Everton, Celtic or Rangers. They get 76,000 at every home game, and I wouldn't mind betting there are more Mancs in there than there in the total crowd at Man City. It's a big city, they're a successful team: of course their local population are going to support them. If you're born and bred in Manchester, who else are you going to support if not City? Bolton? Rochdale? Probably not. They have just as many- in fact significantly more- genuine, proper, lifelong football fans as any club, and it must piss those people right off to be branded plastic Noddy supporters alongside the Bangkok Reds or the Truro Reds. I bet they hate some of the marketing stuff that goes on.

-They're bad losers

Show me a top Premier League side that isn't. Arsenal? Chelsea? I have cringed at recent scenes of United players surrounding the referee, and yes, they should all get a shoeing from the FA as a result, but so should all the other teams at the top who do the same. That's a top level football issue, not just a Man United one.

They are favoured by referees
This is not actually backed up by statistics if you bother to check them. Especially the old "penalties at Old Trafford" argument. I wonder which English team was awarded the most penalties last season? Pretty sure it's not United...in fact it's probably...oh....us.

Their manager is an obnoxious, whining arse

True. But so is Arsene Wenger. So is Harry Redknapp much of the time. And Neil Warnock when he's in the mood. And Billy Davies, and countless other managers. Fergie comes out with some corkers at times, but he's hardly the only one.

I'm no lover of United, far from it, I consider myself largely indifferent to them. I just think it looks a bit small-time when you get fans of (say) Macclesfield and Port Vale and Forest and Doncaster and Southampton and us etc ranting on about how much they hate them, despite having rarely, if ever, had any on-field collisions or history with them. As if Man United give a toss what we think. I'm not keen on their part-time fans who live round these parts and think they're somehow real supporters because they go to the pub and watch every United game on TV, but I feel exactly the same about someone who claims to be a Chelsea fan yet never goes. Look at the facts, people, and then if you still find you can't stand them, fair enough. But don't get sucked in by all the myths.

Good post

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Aston Villa.
Luke Young, Warnock, Downing, Ashley Young, Agbonlahor, Albrighton, Delph, Delfouneso, Heskey, Reo-Coker, Walker, Bent. Osbourne & Hogg also played in the first team this season.
Then other Brits. Collins, Bannan, Clark, Dunne & Ireland.

If someone held a gun to my head i'd say Barcelona but i hate both teams so meh.

There have got a lot of English players, I wonder how many following the inevitable raids on their talent over the summer?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
UNITED!! UNITED!! UNITED!!

Got a lot of Man Utd supporting friends here in Lyme so would like to see them win it for them, plus you've got to support the English side would be magnificent to put the Spaniards to the sword.

Hopefully Bebe will get some game time so we can see our potential new signing in action.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
In all honesty, I can't bring myself to care an awful lot either way who wins, but I'd marginally favour United. So much of the stuff that's said about them is just people getting sucked in by the hype. They're constantly accused of things that every other club at their level is guilty of. For example:

Sure, they have plenty of "fans" all over the country, and the world, but that's no different to Liverpool during the 1980s. My lifelong dislike for Liverpool stems from being at school during the 80s and being surrounded by kids (in Hurstpierpoint, that well known suburb of Toxteth) wearing Liverpool shirts. Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs: they're all exactly the same. It's what (relative) success does. I even remember seeing people in Blackburn shirts around these parts in the mid 1990s.

-They're not the real Manchester side
I'd love to know what proportion of their average crowds are from Greater Manchester. I bet it's far higher than people want to believe. Alright, plenty come over from Ireland each game, but again, that's no different to Liverpool, Everton, Celtic or Rangers. They get 76,000 at every home game, and I wouldn't mind betting there are more Mancs in there than there in the total crowd at Man City. It's a big city, they're a successful team: of course their local population are going to support them. If you're born and bred in Manchester, who else are you going to support if not City? Bolton? Rochdale? Probably not. They have just as many- in fact significantly more- genuine, proper, lifelong football fans as any club, and it must piss those people right off to be branded plastic Noddy supporters alongside the Bangkok Reds or the Truro Reds. I bet they hate some of the marketing stuff that goes on.

-They're bad losers

Show me a top Premier League side that isn't. Arsenal? Chelsea? I have cringed at recent scenes of United players surrounding the referee, and yes, they should all get a shoeing from the FA as a result, but so should all the other teams at the top who do the same. That's a top level football issue, not just a Man United one.

They are favoured by referees
This is not actually backed up by statistics if you bother to check them. Especially the old "penalties at Old Trafford" argument. I wonder which English team was awarded the most penalties last season? Pretty sure it's not United...in fact it's probably...oh....us.

Their manager is an obnoxious, whining arse

True. But so is Arsene Wenger. So is Harry Redknapp much of the time. And Neil Warnock when he's in the mood. And Billy Davies, and countless other managers. Fergie comes out with some corkers at times, but he's hardly the only one.

I'm no lover of United, far from it, I consider myself largely indifferent to them. I just think it looks a bit small-time when you get fans of (say) Macclesfield and Port Vale and Forest and Doncaster and Southampton and us etc ranting on about how much they hate them, despite having rarely, if ever, had any on-field collisions or history with them. As if Man United give a toss what we think. I'm not keen on their part-time fans who live round these parts and think they're somehow real supporters because they go to the pub and watch every United game on TV, but I feel exactly the same about someone who claims to be a Chelsea fan yet never goes. Look at the facts, people, and then if you still find you can't stand them, fair enough. But don't get sucked in by all the myths.

Closet Red!! (or United lickspittle - Mook, I'm still liking that insult!)

Excellent post. I really don't get the vitriol aimed at a team so far removed from our pleasant county and our superb 'local' team. A lot of wasted energy. Like it or not they're England's representatives on Saturday, and I for one would like to see the Spaniards knocked off their self proclaimed perch! For Queen and Country!!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You're looking at this FAR too logically and dispassionately Edna. Whats the point of following football if you can't enjoy an irrational HATRED of teams like Man U ?

Nothing you have said is factually incorrect. But I still DESPISE them with a passion. I can't help it.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
Would you not like to see us in the premiership?

It's inevitable that we'll reach the premiershit at some point. However if there is no chance of Brighton winning/challenging for the league in England's top division then what is the point of that league. Finishing 8th is the best we could hope for, what's the point? Where's the fun in that?

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern

you dislike Liverpool, why, you never said Edna? ;)

There's a big difference between Liverpool's nationwide following and Manchester United's though. As I'm sure you remember there was very little football on TV back in the day, and it often involved Liverpool with them being the top team at the time and their European exploits. They didn't plonk MEGASTORES up and down the country and brand complete tat with their name as did Man Utd in the 90s. Never bothered me in the 80s Man Utd, but their pound chasing, bad losing, round the world touring, FA Cup withdrawing, PLC becoming 90s version did it for me. And everyone had to follow or be left behind. Even Madrid followed the Man Utd model, and here we are today with the modern game.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
United and I think they really will do it as they seem in great form

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Nobody stuck megastores all over the world in the 1980s though AP, because football simply hadn't cottoned on to the idea that there was that much money to be made out of gullible fans. Had Sky been around then, no doubt we would have seen Bangkok Liverpool emporiums, or the Everton Riyadh megastore springing up. United were simply the first to do this, because their success coincided with the explosion in football coverage. Had they been crap when Sky arrived life would be very different now...after all, they spent 26 years winning chuff all but a few FA cups and watching Merseyside totally dominate English football.

I can see why United wind people up, sure, but I just think most of the Premier League is little different these days. What it is coming to when a tinpot club like QPR thinks it acceptable to charge £47 for a game?

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Nobody stuck megastores all over the world in the 1980s though AP, because football simply hadn't cottoned on to the idea that there was that much money to be made out of gullible fans. Had Sky been around then, no doubt we would have seen Bangkok Liverpool emporiums, or the Everton Riyadh megastore springing up. United were simply the first to do this, because their success coincided with the explosion in football coverage. Had they been crap when Sky arrived life would be very different now...after all, they spent 26 years winning chuff all but a few FA cups and watching Merseyside totally dominate English football.

I can see why United wind people up, sure, but I just think most of the Premier League is little different these days. What it is coming to when a tinpot club like QPR thinks it acceptable to charge £47 for a game?

I disagree. They cottoned on to it,and they milked it for all it was worth/is worth.

Even their manager and captain have felt moved to complain about the overly corporate atmosphere in their stadium over the years.

How often have United been the underdog?

Barca are a big-money team trying to buy a cup, they've got international megastars spackled all across their squad - but England remain disdainful of ManU's achievements....why? Because of their fans who love them regardless, and come from all across the country?
Their players include several Brits, and some of them are English (unlike Arsenal, who I dislike for their exclusion of English). They are managed by one of the Queen's Knights (not that I'm a royalist or anything) who has spoken in some support of 'clubs like Brighton' in the past when we were struggling.

Illogical Captain, but humans are too seldom moved by logic.

Spain will be crowing about a Euro, World Cup, and CL Cup - and you all want that.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
How often have United been the underdog?

Barca are a big-money team trying to buy a cup, they've got international megastars spackled all across their squad - but England remain disdainful of ManU's achievements....why? Because of their fans who love them regardless, and come from all across the country?
Their players include several Brits, and some of them are English (unlike Arsenal, who I dislike for their exclusion of English). They are managed by one of the Queen's Knights (not that I'm a royalist or anything) who has spoken in some support of 'clubs like Brighton' in the past when we were struggling.

Illogical Captain, but humans are too seldom moved by logic.

Spain will be crowing about a Euro, World Cup, and CL Cup - and you all want that.

what the frig are you on about you mentalist. Are you programmed to type as if you know what you are talking about even when you don't have a scooby?

Ofcourse Barcelona have money and spend it - Villa for example. And yet, they are packed with Spanish players who have grown up playing a system of football that their club promotes....much like, oh yes! Gus Poyet!

Buy the cup? What ARE you on about?

I am a great believer in respect where respect is due. I even cheered on the 99 Utd team after their amazing SOCCERBALL skills in the semis against Juve.

Your comments about a great Barcelona football team are CODSWALLOP

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I'm constantly puzzled at the attitude of some people who express amazement that you aren't cheering on the "English" side in these events. The reason being that I cannot stand Manchester bastard United. It appears to be acceptable for the other 364 days of the year to dislike a football team and not to want them to win but when it comes to the final you are expected to support a team you hate just because they play in the English Premier League. Very odd
I'll put it another way - if there are any Manchester United fans on here would you cheer Liverpool or Manchester City on tonight ? Of course you wouldn't . . . Nuff said

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
We should all get behind Manchester United tomorrow as they are representing our nation. I agree that Sir Alex can be annoying at times and that some of their players make ones blood boil, but they an English team. I would support Crystal Palace for an evening if they were playing in the final of the champions league.

Yeah I would support Palace in Europe as well but I won't stoop so low as to support Manure

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here