Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ckr

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
goldstone said:
Any decent man manager would have been able to make the lad understand that the way to progress is to give 100% at what you're doing now so that you'll be recognised by someone who may be able to offer you a better job. A basic management skill which Mr McGhee quite clearly lacked.

I think that would be fairly obvious to even the thickest of footballers. Why did McGhee 'fail' with CKR, but managed to inspire a team to stay up in the Championship, against all odds? He has dealt with far more talented players than CKR before...

How hard is it, when you are on the pitch, to run your socks off?! We are not talking about a photocopying job where you would need to be inspired to turn up. We are talking about football. Just how exactly is it so hard to perform to the standard required!?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Barrel of Fun said:
I think that would be fairly obvious to even the thickest of footballers. Why did McGhee 'fail' with CKR, but managed to inspire a team to stay up in the Championship, against all odds?

Because clearly CKR needed a bit more work and attention (all managers have employees like that) and McGhee didn't have the talent or interest to devote the time to him.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
goldstone said:
Because clearly CKR needed a bit more work and attention (all managers have employees like that) and McGhee didn't have the talent or interest to devote the time to him.

Neither did his team mates from things I've heard.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Barrel of Fun said:
How hard is it, when you are on the pitch, to run your socks off?! We are not talking about a photocopying job where you would need to be inspired to turn up. We are talking about football. Just how exactly is it so hard to perform to the standard required!?

In any job BOF the average worker needs a bit of inspiration from somewhere! If your manager has'nt got it then where does it come from fella?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
LOL.. this thread is comical...
I know for a fact that there are people posting on here who are stating one thing, but have told me in private the total opposite!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
British Bulldog said:
In any job BOF the average worker needs a bit of inspiration from somewhere! If your manager has'nt got it then where does it come from fella?

I understand that and agree that most people/the average worker does, but I still can't see how it is difficult when you clearly have bags of talent, but no application. Seemingly because you have one eye on a better job with much better pay.

Why has McGhee been able to inspire in the past and with many a player, but not someone like CKR? A gifted individual, given the chance to be paid well for something that he has dreamt of doing, since a young age.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Yorkie said:
Even though at Rotherham when CKR was being given instructions by Wilkins during a lull in play, he was seen to turn his back on DW and totally blank him?

Wilkins out :angry: He obviously can't motivate the team.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Barrel of Fun said:
I understand that and agree that most people/the average worker does, but I still can't see how it is difficult when you clearly have bags of talent, but no application. Seemingly because you have one eye on a better job with much better pay.

Why has McGhee been able to inspire in the past and with many a player, but not someone like CKR? A gifted individual, given the chance to be paid well for something that he has dreamt of doing, since a young age.

In nearly 30 yrs of doing my job BOF I've seen a lot of managers come & go, The look on McGhee's face when we stayed up after the game against Ipswich told a story! If he'd gone then he would have left a hero.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
British Bulldog said:
In nearly 30 yrs of doing my job BOF I've seen a lot of managers come & go, The look on McGhee's face when we stayed up after the game against Ipswich told a story! If he'd gone then he would have left a hero.

I preferred the look on his face when we beat Palace the following Oct. He said he's never lost at Selhurst Park.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Yorkie said:
I preferred the look on his face when we beat Palace the following Oct. He said he's never lost at Selhurst Park.

Shame he did'nt win much after that though Yorkie!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
British Bulldog said:
Shame he did'nt win much after that though Yorkie!

Still the digs go in. Whenever anyone mentions his achievements the antis still try to take away any good times by getting the digs in.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Yorkie said:
Still the digs go in. Whenever anyone mentions his achievements the antis still try to take away any good times by getting the digs in.

And McGhee does'nt still give digs in the Argus along with his mate Naylor?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
British Bulldog said:
And McGhee does'nt still give digs in the Argus along with his mate Naylor?

I wouldn't know. Andy Naylor has always reported like that as far as I can remember before McGhee even arrived. Look up posts on Nsc going back to 2003. Posters complained about him then.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Yorkie said:
I wouldn't know. Andy Naylor has always reported like that as far as I can remember before McGhee even arrived. Look up posts on Nsc going back to 2003. Posters complained about him then.

Before my time Yorkie, I'm still young & innocent! :lolol:

Dec 30, 2006
South Atlantic
When CKR joined the club he started every match, and people were very critical of him.

MM gave him a chance, admittedly in a fairly poor Albion side, and his workrate and commitment were poor at time. Anecdotal evidence from the dressing room suggests that he was immature, and did not endear himself to the less gifted but harder working members of the management team and squad. This is consistent to the comments about him from Bury.

When he was dropped to the bench there was a not a huge uproar from the fan base or NSC, so we now seem to be rewriting history about him. We stayed up the previous season through grit and graft, and this did not suit his style of play.

He is a scorer of great goals, but not a great goalscorer.

Using him as yet another stick to beat McGhee (who signed him and lets face it we had never heard of him) and showed faith in him, seems churlish.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yorkie said:

Do you also remember the stick he got from Bellotti including being banned for suggesting what turned out to be the truth about what they were doing.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Eric Steele's Groucho Impression said:
When CKR joined the club he started every match, and people were very critical of him.

MM gave him a chance, admittedly in a fairly poor Albion side, and his workrate and commitment were poor at time. Anecdotal evidence from the dressing room suggests that he was immature, and did not endear himself to the less gifted but harder working members of the management team and squad. This is consistent to the comments about him from Bury.

When he was dropped to the bench there was a not a huge uproar from the fan base or NSC, so we now seem to be rewriting history about him. We stayed up the previous season through grit and graft, and this did not suit his style of play.

Using him as yet another stick to beat McGhee (who signed him and lets face it we had never heard of him) and showed faith in him, seems churlish.

That's exactly how I look at it.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Yorkie said:

They maydo, mainly because that win at Palace - altho good- ment little or nothing come the end of the season.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
edna krabappel said:
Didn't see that, but Sidwell was a regular in a side that won the Championship with 106 points last season, and is an integral member of a disappointingly successful Reading team.

Kazim-Richards has scored one (admittedly good) goal and made a couple of decent passes for Sheff Utd, mostly from the bench. It's hardly the same thing. Sidwell has ten times the application and enthusiasm that CKR has- and I bet he'll be around at a high level a lot longer.

I accept it's early days for Kazim-Richards yet, but all I'm saying is that he's done ok, no more, no less. He's certainly done nothing to make me think we'd be better off with him still at the club.

Colin gets to play with the big boys and pander to his Premiership sized ego, at least until his attitude gets the better of him, while we wind up with £150,000 in the bank and get shot of a disruptive influence and infuriatingly inconsistent player.

When it comes down to it, everyone's a winner.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that Warnock will only play CKR from the start when they don't need defensive cover. Warnock seems to think he is all flash and not much substance. Remember it is easy to be flashy in the Prem than it with the kick you to death defences in the Champ. But Warnock is right... CKR is all flash but no work rate..... a luxury you may be able to afford in the prem... not one you can afford when struggling in the Champ or in Div 1.

Once CKR learns to work then we can diss McGhee for not seeing the potential. Until then I think we were right to move him on. He was never going to be happy with us, regardless of the manager.

Eric Steele's Groucho Impression said:

So, as long as we have never heard of a player - if he is bought in and proves that he has talent, and that is never capitolised upon, it's wrong to look at the bloke who brought him in!

I see ??? ( :dunce: )

Nice return, for the lad who won the Coca-Cola money that bought him in. Still, free money, what the heck, doesn't matter if its' wasted then (and a player takes a squad place that could be occupied by someone who would show lots of effort and perhaps make a difference.... such as Alexis Nicolas)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here