Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ckr

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
NMH said:
Quite, and a good observation BoF - and there-in lies some intrinsic fact.

IF a club that's happy languishing in the lower division acquires a player with vision and talent, and one who can think in a Premiership-quality-kind-of-way, that player is going to see very clearly when they are put into a situation that has little future.
Some lads might feel comfortable playing in formations that have no future and will not lead to any fulfilled ambition.
Zamora worked great for us - a quality player who was able to fit into the 2nd Division level because Mickey Adams opened games up to include his skills - and he could capitolise. The manager and player worked together well and it paid out in spades.
Now imagine Zamora forced to play to a manager's will, where-in he cannot excel, struggles to get the service that will enable him to score goals - and young Zamora is told "it's my way or the highway, or you play in the reserves and LIKE IT". I put it to you that Zamora would be uncomfortable, not want to stick around, and probably rebel so he can move out asap.

Yes, these Mcghee lovers want to say that he got us promoted and won some games, and it's the fault of these bad-boy players Knight Jarrett CKR that they couldn't get on with it.
Maybe they're outstanding architects who like to be excellent tea-boys or stay in the mail-room and be model professionals while their best years (in the case of sport - in a short profession) whipped by. Maybe they're brilliant bricklayers who would be happy to be fantastic hod-carriers for a small company going nowhere?

It's difficult to get the point across to some people who just think "these were BAD servants" - but they would be DEAD RIGHT if you want to harness proper talent to a club with no more ambition than to survive in the lower divisions. Nope, let THEM go;- WE DON'T WANT BRILLIANT TALENT PLAYING FOR A CLUB THAT IS JUST INTENT ON BASIC SURVIVAL. It won't work for either party, and it has been proven thankyouverymuch.

A good couple of examples there - Knight and Jarret. Where are they now?
CKR is bucking the trend at the moment, but he only makes the odd appearance (he doesn't even seem to be a regular on the bench despite his 'BRILLIANT TALENT'), we'll see where he is in a few seasons time. Fair play, he'll probably be playing regular football in the Championship, he has the talent to be a good player at that level. But then again we be might be playing there as well.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Magoon's man-management of ckr was disastrous. Like many pro-footballers ckr had a big ego but he wasn't a Leon Knight figure. Magoon had two good years as Albion manager. He lost it totally after Christmas 2005.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
DJ Leon said:

CKR is bucking the trend at the moment, but he only makes the odd appearance (he doesn't even seem to be a regular on the bench despite his 'BRILLIANT TALENT'),

He's been involved in every single game since he went there apart from a 4 game spell when he was injured

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
mona said:
Magoon's man-management of ckr was disastrous. Like many pro-footballers ckr had a big ego but he wasn't a Leon Knight figure. Magoon had two good years as Albion manager. He lost it totally after Christmas 2005.

Can't argue with that. :clap:

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Jam The Man said:
He's been involved in every single game since he went there apart from a 4 game spell when he was injured

I stand corrected - he has been a regular on the bench.

11 apearances in all competitions though is hardly 'involved' though. It's about as involved as Frutos has been in our season.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Re: Re: Re: Ckr

Icy Gull said:
Not sure, he definitely had an attitude which may have had something to do with MM and some of the players...allegedly. On the other hand he may just have matured a bit away from the little poisoned dwarf's influence? Who knows the truth will out one day but it was definitely our loss, thinking about it in retrospect.

maybe his attitde was " wat am I doing playing at Brighton when I could be playing in the Premiership"

justa thought

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
DJ Leon said:
I stand corrected - he has been a regular on the bench.

11 apearances in all competitions though is hardly 'involved' though. It's about as involved as Frutos has been in our season.

How much more 'involved' can you be then if you've been either on the bench or playing from the start unless injured..?

11 STARTS... or 18 appearances in 22

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
some people are a tad blind on here. mcghee was the one who signed him, so he must have known he was good.

but he was a stroppy git

leon knight, quality player, mcghee kicked him out too.....then swansea did aswell. so that wasnt just mcghee.

i imagine the nice wage and status is stopping ckr moaning at the moment.

however if he is relegated then dont be surprised to see him leave if he is not in the starting 11

mcghee is not to blame for a player with an attitude.

Last edited:

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Plus he probally has much better training facilities and staff around him. I hate how everyone blames Mgchee 4 everything!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Jam The Man said:
How much more 'involved' can you be then if you've been either on the bench or playing from the start unless injured..?

11 STARTS... or 18 appearances in 22

I think we should wait and see as far as CKR is concerned. He hasn't pulled up any trees so far- and before anyone says "why should he?", well Caleb Folan appears to be doing ok.

No matter how his little cameos appear to be going for the Blades at the moment (and lets not forget CKR made a few sparky appearances from the bench for us, but did chuff all when on from the start), I think time will tell, and if he's still a Sheff Utd player (or a Premiership player) in two years, I will be astonished.

People saying he'd have kept us up last season- don't make me laugh. Even if he'd ever actually bothered to put the effort in- which he didn't- half the rest of the team thought he was a complete and utter tool, which is not the sort of togetherness that saves clubs from relegation.

McGhee had his moments, but he's no more to blame for Colin Kazim-Richards sulking like a stroppy diva than he was for Leon "two more years and I'll be in the Ryman League" Knight.

(that's the same Leon Knight who was only on the bench for MK yesterday)

edna krabappel said:
I think we should wait and see as far as CKR is concerned. He hasn't pulled up any trees so far- and before anyone says "why should he?", well Caleb Folan appears to be doing ok.

No matter how his little cameos appear to be going for the Blades at the moment (and lets not forget CKR made a few sparky appearances from the bench for us, but did chuff all when on from the start), I think time will tell, and if he's still a Sheff Utd player (or a Premiership player) in two years, I will be astonished.

People saying he'd have kept us up last season- don't make me laugh. Even if he'd ever actually bothered to put the effort in- which he didn't- half the rest of the team thought he was a complete and utter tool, which is not the sort of togetherness that saves clubs from relegation.

McGhee had his moments, but he's no more to blame for Colin Kazim-Richards sulking like a stroppy diva than he was for Leon "two more years and I'll be in the Ryman League" Knight.

(that's the same Leon Knight who was only on the bench for MK yesterday)

Hmmm - I noticed he has scored a goal that was a choice on 'goal of the month' earlier this season, and a very nice pass for the goal yesterday. Whatever 'pulling up trees' means, I don't think SU mind if that isn't tree-pulling material as long as he does it.

Knight came on yesterday with his side losing - 'only on the bench' and 'not scoring' will also do nicely when he's a part of a recovery win that keeps his side in the automatic promotion places.

I mentioned Sidwell a week back and got a response that downplayed his acheivement too.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
NMH said:
I mentioned Sidwell a week back and got a response that downplayed his acheivement too.

Didn't see that, but Sidwell was a regular in a side that won the Championship with 106 points last season, and is an integral member of a disappointingly successful Reading team.

Kazim-Richards has scored one (admittedly good) goal and made a couple of decent passes for Sheff Utd, mostly from the bench. It's hardly the same thing. Sidwell has ten times the application and enthusiasm that CKR has- and I bet he'll be around at a high level a lot longer.

I accept it's early days for Kazim-Richards yet, but all I'm saying is that he's done ok, no more, no less. He's certainly done nothing to make me think we'd be better off with him still at the club.

Colin gets to play with the big boys and pander to his Premiership sized ego, at least until his attitude gets the better of him, while we wind up with £150,000 in the bank and get shot of a disruptive influence and infuriatingly inconsistent player.

When it comes down to it, everyone's a winner.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
This is totally a debate that will never ever be won by those for him or against him. Neither side wants to hear the other side's views due to 'self-righteousness' or some other bullshit reason, so why bother debating him anymore?

He's a Sheffield United player and so be it...

Last edited:

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
NMH said:
Knight came on yesterday with his side losing - 'only on the bench' and 'not scoring' will also do nicely when he's a part of a recovery win that keeps his side in the automatic promotion places.

Clutching. Straws.

Sorry, he should be a quality Championship striker. He thinks he should be a Premiership striker. He is currently warming the bench in League 2. Little Leon is even making it impossible even for his own supporters to give him a credible defence.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Jam The Man said:
This is totally a debate that will never ever be won by those for him or against him. Neither side wants to hear the other side's views due to 'self-righteousness' or some other bullshit reason, so why bother debating him anymore?

He's a Sheffield United player and so be it...

I don't think the 'for' gang have a great case, personally. Did we ever see him put in 100% worth of effort when he was with us? Chasing after every ball? No, we didn't or certainly not nearly enough. Footballers are extremely lucky to get paid well for something millions of people would love to do. How much of that is down to management? What stops someone from performing to the peak of their ability. Leon is a decent example of that.

Last edited:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Barrel of Fun said:
I don't think the 'for' gang have a great case, personally. Did we ever see him put in 100% worth of effort when he was with us? Chasing after every ball? No, we didn't or certainly not nearly enough. Footballers are extremely lucky to get paid well for something millions of people would love to do. How much of that is down to management? What stops someone from performing to the peak of their ability. Leon is a decent example of that.

Lack of enthusiasm and not giving 100% is largely the fault of your manager, whatever your job, because ...
a) the manager should have identified that trait before making the job offer (and therefore not hired him), and
b) it's the manager's role to act as mentor, establish the root of the problem and try to address it.

McGhee obviously failed to realise CKR's tendency to give less than 100% before he signed him (or did he work his socks off at Bury (or wherever he came from), but not at Brighton? In which case the manager must take much of the blame if he fails to motivate his employees).

Any decent man manager would have been able to make the lad understand that the way to progress is to give 100% at what you're doing now so that you'll be recognised by someone who may be able to offer you a better job. A basic management skill which Mr McGhee quite clearly lacked.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Even though at Rotherham when CKR was being given instructions by Wilkins during a lull in play, he was seen to turn his back on DW and totally blank him?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here