Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ckr in the argus

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Colin Kazim-Richards claimed today he made his mind up to leave Albion long before handing in a transfer request on the opening day of the season.

The young striker blames both on and off-field grievances for the soured conclusion to his 14-month stint with the Seagulls.

The saga over the future of Kazim-Richards ended yesterday when he completed a dream £150,000 move to Premiership newcomers Sheffield United on a three-year contract.

continued...
He handed in a transfer request after he was left out of the starting line-up by manager Mark McGhee for Albion's 1-0 victory at Rotherham on the first day of the League One campaign but Kazim-Richards insisted: "I made my mind up a long time ago.

"I just wasn't happy when the season ended. Certain things happened out of the season which I don't want to go into."

Kazim-Richards was also frustrated by the way last season panned out for him in the Championship with the relegated Seagulls.

He missed only four League matches but 17 of his 42 appearances were as a substitute.

"The gaffer talked a good game when I came and so did I," he admitted. "But I got subbed off for no particular reason.

"I came for the playing opportunity and didn't really play that much. I was still top scorer with six goals.

"Jake Robinson is top goalscorer now and he is not even playing any more. It's just ridiculous."

In spite of that parting shot at McGhee, Kazim-Richards is sad to have left his team-mates.

"The lads are brilliant," he said. "I've left some really good people behind, like Wayne Henderson, Adam El-Abd and Charlie Oatway. He has been a real help to me."

Sheffield United's sudden swoop on Wednesday, the evening before the close of the transfer window, even caught Kazim-Richards by surprise.

He was playing for the reserves against Crystal Palace at Worthing - his first appearance since coming on during the second half at Rotherham - when watching chairman Dick Knight broke the news just after he was substituted.

It was some late birthday present for Kazim-Richards, 20 last Saturday.

"It's unbelievable," he said. "I came off and Dick Knight just came up to me and said I've sold you to Sheffield United'.

That's football. Luckily Mister Warnock has given me the opportunity of a lifetime, playing in the Premiership to get my career back up and running again.

"I am at a really good club that is going places, no disrespect to Brighton. I have spoken to Neil Warnock and I have got a real opportunity, I'm not here just to make up the numbers but to play."

The vast majority of the six goals Kazim-Richards scored for Albion last season were of the eyecatching variety, including one against his new employers at Bramall Lane in January.

Warnock said: "We thought that in the circumstances, after a couple of targets fell through, he would be a good signing.

"He has shown in the past that he has potential and we're hoping he will progress like we think he can.

"He's had a stop-start time at Brighton, but we will give him the chance to impress and improve."

Kazim-Richards starts towards the back of a very long queue of strikers at Bramall Lane, although his arrival is thought to be bad news for fellow Londoner Steve Kabba.

Five of his six goals for Albion were as a substitute and he is likely to find himself on the bench or in the reserves at least to begin with.

United launch a hat-trick of home matches against Blackburn a week tomorrow. Reading - one of the sides he scored against last season - visit next and Kazim-Richards could make his first start on September 19 in the Carling Cup against Bury, the club Albion bought him from.

Kazim-Richards was famously signed with the proceeds of a £250,000 competition won by fan Aaron Berry and run by Football League sponsors Coca-Cola.

Berry said: "I'm a bit gutted. I'm hugely disappointed with the sale.

"I am still proud to have helped the club but it has all turned a little bit sour. It's such a shame, because I think we have lost a good player. He could have been mustard in this division.

"He didn't show much last season but even the manager has admitted he was not always playing in his best position. I hope he can fulfill his potential at Sheffield United."

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
algie said:
"I just wasn't happy when the season ended. Certain things happened out of the season which I don't want to go into."

"The gaffer talked a good game when I came and so did I," he admitted. "But I got subbed off for no particular reason.

"I came for the playing opportunity and didn't really play that much. I was still top scorer with six goals.

"Jake Robinson is top goalscorer now and he is not even playing any more. It's just ridiculous."

In spite of that parting shot at McGhee, Kazim-Richards is sad to have left his team-mates.

Well I'd never have guessed McGhee was the reason. :jester:

Ice Man

Jan 5, 2006
:lolol:

I'm trying to support McGhee but he's starting to become indefensable.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"I am at a really good club that is going places, no disrespect to Brighton"

That hurt me a bit when I read that. I know its true, but I don't like hearing it.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
There does seem to be a common thread here. About time Dick Knight came out with a vote of confidence for the lardy Jocko clown.

I get the impression that in a few years time, the name Mark McGhee will be appearing in the index of a fair few players autobiographies!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Who the f*** is a 19 year old who can't shoot straight to save his life to write off our club? Mouthy jumped-up big-mouthed c*nt.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

I'm pleased he hasn't slagged off everything to do with the team like a certain Swansea midget.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
"But I got subbed off for no particular reason."

How in hell does he think that. Yes he is talented but he very rarely put in any effort and constantly ignored the advise being passed out from the bench.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Man of Harveys said:
Who the f*** is a 19 year old who can't shoot straight to save his life to write off our club? Mouthy jumped-up big-mouthed c*nt.
Trouble with that statement is that it's not just one player that has said it is it?...

Try and defend it all you like but there is a re-occuring theme here that seems to be popping it's ugly head up on quite a regular basis.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
"Mwor, it wasn't FAIR - that naughty man took me OFF the pitch when I thought I was doing OK - how dare he, my dad, my old school mates, they all think I'm great. It's just not FAIR. I'm going to sit on the ground like a TODDLER while the game goes on around because I missed yet another sitter in front of goal and shake my head at the linesman. It's JUST NOT FAIR.":cry: :cry:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I'm a bit confused. He made 25 starts and 17 sub appearances last season but then he says "I came for the playing opportunity and didn't really play that much".
How does that work then???

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Trigger said:

Try and defend it all you like but there is a re-occuring theme here that seems to be popping it's ugly head up on quite a regular basis.

Perhaps the theme is that because we're skint the only vaguely talented people we can get are other club's rejects with severe personality disorders.

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
Rangdo said:
I'm a bit confused. He made 25 starts and 17 sub appearances last season but then he says "I came for the playing opportunity and didn't really play that much".
How does that work then???

I wonder what would of happened if he had played in his correct postion?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Man of Harveys said:
He's not though. He's blaming McGhee for his decisions and telling us that Dick Knight just told him he'd been sold.

Which sadly is beginning to sound all too familiar to a lot of us - including people like me who have not always thought like that about the board and manager.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
"I am at a really good club that is going places, no disrespect to Brighton. I have spoken to Neil Warnock and I have got a real opportunity, I'm not here just to make up the numbers but to play."

F*ck off then, that is disrespectful. We plucked him out of the Bury 2nd squad and then he expects to come to (at the time) a Championship side and play every game with little to no enthusiasm. Lets just see how he gets on at the "club that is going places" (although I'd like to use the word relegation bound) shall we.

Tosser!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here