Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cigarette Displays Banned!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Blimey, what a lot of fuss about nothing.

If you're a smoker- do you really give a shit whether you can see the fag packets when you go into the shop? From what I know of smokers, they are creatures of habit, and tend to stick to the same brand, so it's not as though the regulations are in any way going to restrict your choice or purchase.

And if you're not a smoker, it will have absolutely no impact on you.

So why are people getting in a huff about it? FFS, relax :lolol:

:yahoo: Krabappel on the money again.

Something to complain about. We can throw in phrases such as 'Big Brother', 'PC gone mad' and 'Totalitarian government' for good measure.

However, I do see the positives behind it. Various studies have shown that the non-smoking adverts do not work as smokers are inclined to want a cigarette if they see one being smoked, so perhaps it is worth a shot at removing a 'reminder'.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
yes i said illegal to purchase as opposed to illegal to sell. the person buying does not get fined only the shop keeper. both in my opinion should get fined and persistant offending shops should be banned from selling cigarettes.

i personally dont want any young person smoking i have seen the effects of lung cancer and its not nice.
In the case of a larger shop or supermarket the person making the sale gets a £80 fixed penalty ticket and a criminal record , the shopkeeper or store gets a £1000 fine.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
We all have our drug,and it can be in many forms !just supose cannabis was made legal,i wonder what tax would apply !Yes we are living longer ,the problem is most have lost their brain and live nursing homes .Is it quality of life or quality of death ?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Whats next banning the display of alcohol in shops.
The Government dont want to go this far but if the Scottish Parliament introduce legislation to raise the drinking age in Scotland to 21 it will have implications in England & Wales. Contingency plans are afoot to have "alcohol only" checkouts in supermarkets so people who do a weekly shop will have to do their normal shopping first and then go back to purchase their alcohol through a designated checkout. When the drinking age in Scotland goes to 21 then the UK will adopt challenge 30 which means under 30's (but over 18 in England/Wales and over 21 in Scotland) are going to have to show their ID every time to buy booze.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
the challenger 21 thing is very subjective- who;s to say someone who looks older than they really are gets sold, and someone younfer looking gets chcked?

best check EVERYONE's age when buying alcohol, or just ban the whole lot.
Most supermarkets now ask for and check ID for anyone looking under 25/30 buying alcohol. Tesco's checkout staff have taken it to the extreme and only authorise the sale by checking all IDs if a group of two or more turn up together at the checkout and at least one of them looks under 30, older people get told they cant purchase alcohol if they are with their teenagers on the assumption they might be buying it for the kids.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Most supermarkets now ask for and check ID for anyone looking under 25/30 buying alcohol. Tesco's checkout staff have taken it to the extreme and only authorise the sale by checking all IDs if a group of two or more turn up together at the checkout and at least one of them looks under 30, older people get told they cant purchase alcohol if they are with their teenagers on the assumption they might be buying it for the kids.

This happened to me and Liam last week, I had my ID but he didn't so they wouldn't sell us in Tesco, but we weren't asked at all in your store :p

I forgot to tell you this :jester:

older people get told they cant purchase alcohol if they are with their teenagers on the assumption they might be buying it for the kids.

This is something that really grates with me. When I was a teenager I used to go and do the weekly shop with my dad, he'd buy a shit load of alcohol (my parents drink a lot!) and we'd have no problem. If you tried the same now, there's no way we'd get served. The most ridiculous thing is that this is a completely useless measure; surely the teenager can just come around the shop with their parent/whoever, pick what they want, and then leave the shop while the older person pays?

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
I'm a smoker, I do want to give up, but I feel it is absolutely crazy that fags will put underneath the counter.

Ok, if they are going to do that I suggest all supermarkets put all unhealthy products out of sight as well because of obesity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here