Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cigarette Displays Banned!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Young people always have, and always will start smoking for one reason and one reason only - peer pressure, it's cool, it's hard etc etc.

Depending on their parenting I surpose

Banning smoking in public places has help discourage many children IMO, its hasn't really got the glamour anymore when driving around at night seeing all the smokers huddled up in the pouring hard rain, freezing cold outside a pub or restaurant.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
It's been done here for a little while now and the only complaint I heard was from the woman behind the counter who has to remember where the different brands are and who has to keep lifting the little flaps all day. Other than that, I didn't hear anything at all when it started. Certainly there was no uproar.

Mar 13, 2008
Sorry, I don't buy that argument at all. I started smoking what seems like a hundred years ago when I was about 14. I don't ever recall thinking "oh, I like that Malboro advert, I must go and start smoking".

Young people always have, and always will start smoking for one reason and one reason only - peer pressure, it's cool, it's hard etc etc.
I (and the government) are not saying it will stop all, but it wills top most.

But at the age of 18 are you really likely to be pressured into smoking? If the Government think it will work, Im all for it. I just dont understand it.
Someone else said it has worked in Iceland so it might work here.

The government don't want to stop smokers they want to stop new smoker.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The problem with banning stuff is that it means someone has to enforce the law, and God knows the police have enough on their plate without having to confiscate cigarettes off youths and prosecute various retail outlets.

I like what Labour have done with gambling, smkoing and drinking - it's just a shame they've been ineffective as regards drugs.

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
But this isn't about making up adults' minds for them. It's about trying something to make children less likely to take up smoking.

then take the little darlings to a cancer care ward/hospice for an educational lesson on what happens if you smoke surely that would have more effect.

Last edited:

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Sodding nanny state again, telling us what we should & shouldn't do with our lives 'cos presumably we're all too damn stupid to make up our own minds about what we put into our bodies. f*** the lot of 'em.

Mar 13, 2008
then take the little darlings to a cancer care ward/hospice for an educational lesson on what happens if you smoke surely that would have more effect.
But 1) it is more expensive and 2) most people would call you a peado and and then run off or bottle you if you try and go near them so how are you gonna get them down to a cancer care ward.

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Already banned here in Ontario. The real hassle is when you want a cigar. You are no longer allowed to walk into the humidor and select your cigar. You must tell the salesperson what you want and they need to go in and get it for you. Browsing for cigars in the humidor was half the fun of having a cigar..

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
i would assume that whilst not all patients may be happy with this i'm sure some would welcome the idea of speaking about the effects of the illness on them and hope that this would put the kids off cigarettes for life.this could be used alongside talks from consultants and nurses. i saw my grandfather a few days before he died and i can assure you it put me off fags/drugs for life.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
When Governments make bold decisions about Important Things of the sex, drugs and rock and roll variety, these decisions are so often based on seriously flawed assumptions. Do young people care about the effect that smoking has on their health? Not really given that most young people plan to die long before they get old and unhealthy. Will hiding cigarettes and tobacco under the counter put them off? Unlikely since furtive pleasures are so much more, er, pleasurable.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
So it will be easier to buy skunk than cigarettes. You don't even have to go to a shop! :smokin:

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
This Government make me sick im surprised that a civil servant doesnot follow me around all day with some toilet paper to wipe my arse as im obviously totally unable to make decisions that affect me .

QUOTE]

maybe he should be whiping you mouth as that's where the shit's comming fom.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Blimey, what a lot of fuss about nothing.

If you're a smoker- do you really give a shit whether you can see the fag packets when you go into the shop? From what I know of smokers, they are creatures of habit, and tend to stick to the same brand, so it's not as though the regulations are in any way going to restrict your choice or purchase.

And if you're not a smoker, it will have absolutely no impact on you.

So why are people getting in a huff about it? FFS, relax :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here