Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cigarette Displays Banned!

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
So the government in all its wisdom has decided that from 2011 in supermarkets and 2013 in corner shops it will be illegal to display cigarettes at the point of sale!

Whats next stopping you drinking in pubs then banning the display of alcohol in shops. prehaps even the banning of the sale of condoms then thats 3 vices taken care of.

This Government make me sick im surprised that a civil servant doesnot follow me around all day with some toilet paper to wipe my arse as im obviously totally unable to make decisions that affect me .
sorry rant over

by the way i dont smoke.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
I dont understand, just because people wont be able to see the cigarettes doesnt mean they will stop buying them. Its an addiction and you generally set out to go and buy them. Its not like a chocolate bar or a cake which you like the look of so then go and buy.

Highfields Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bullock Smithy
So the government in all its wisdom has decided that from 2011 in supermarkets and 2013 in corner shops it will be illegal to display cigarettes at the point of sale!

Whats next stopping you drinking in pubs then banning the display of alcohol in shops. prehaps even the banning of the sale of condoms then thats 3 vices taken care of.

This Government make me sick im surprised that a civil servant doesnot follow me around all day with some toilet paper to wipe my arse as im obviously totally unable to make decisions that affect me .
sorry rant over

by the way i dont smoke.

Banning point-of-sale displays isn't stopping you doing anything.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Sums this government up. It will infact probably increase smoking amounst teenagers as it will seems an even more rebellious thing to do. Just ban them you fuckers, er why not ?, the £ 7 000 000 000 of taxes they get each year. Hypocritical bastards.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The government has actually got something RIGHT for a change.

The days of people choosing to smoke, getting very ill and expecting the taxpayer to fork out for expensive, lengthy treatment are, thankfully, nearing their end.

I wouldn't want my kids to smoke, so anything that decreases the risk is fine by me.

Highfields Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bullock Smithy
Sums this government up. It will infact probably increase smoking amounst teenagers as it will seems an even more rebellious thing to do. Just ban them you fuckers, er why not ?, the £ 7 000 000 000 of taxes they get each year. Hypocritical bastards.

Obviously, I don't know the source of the research, but the BBC article says:

'Ministers say where other countries - such as Iceland - have removed displays, smoking prevalence among young people has fallen by up to 10%. '

So why not? I can't see how this affects any adult wishing to buy cigarettes legally.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The government has actually got something RIGHT for a change.

The days of people choosing to smoke, getting very ill and expecting the taxpayer to fork out for expensive, lengthy treatment are, thankfully, nearing their end.

I wouldn't want my kids to smoke, so anything that decreases the risk is fine by me.

I kind of agree with you. I'm not entirely sure hiding them will help though - after all heroin is hardly displayed but those that want it still find it.

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
the way to deal with under age smokers is not to hide the product, the way to deal with it is to make it illegal to purchase cigarettes under the age of 18.
then when you group of 14 year olds are standing around smoking your dear old bobby can go up to them and take the cigarettes off them.

what im suggesting will of course not happen.the government would not want to increase crime figures.

prehaps they should just license all retailers and take the license away from those that sell to under age children.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
If it persuades a few less people to smoke it can only be a good thing.
A far more interesting point is why are so many of you so angry at something that wont affect you in the slightest. Unless of course it's now become obligatory for all tories to get very angry at absolutely anything the government does rather than use any sort of reasoning to decide how you feel about something?

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
err, it's already illegal to sell under 18's....

yes i said illegal to purchase as opposed to illegal to sell. the person buying does not get fined only the shop keeper. both in my opinion should get fined and persistant offending shops should be banned from selling cigarettes.

i personally dont want any young person smoking i have seen the effects of lung cancer and its not nice.

Mar 13, 2008
I dont understand, just because people wont be able to see the cigarettes doesnt mean they will stop buying them. Its an addiction and you generally set out to go and buy them. Its not like a chocolate bar or a cake which you like the look of so then go and buy.
Wrong!
Someone who isn't sure whether they want to smoke (ie someone who doesn't but is getting pressured) is much more likely to buy if they are in front of him when the shop assistant says "anything else"
Therefore this is likely to reduce the amount of new smokers.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Just another example of our increasingly shitty nanny state at work. Great Britain, don't make me laugh.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Wrong!
Someone who isn't sure whether they want to smoke (ie someone who doesn't but is getting pressured) is much more likely to buy if they are in front of him when the shop assistant says "anything else"

Sorry, I don't buy that argument at all. I started smoking what seems like a hundred years ago when I was about 14. I don't ever recall thinking "oh, I like that Malboro advert, I must go and start smoking".

Young people always have, and always will start smoking for one reason and one reason only - peer pressure, it's cool, it's hard etc etc.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
my problem is allow adults to make up their own minds. and dont put little shops out of business.

I would hazard a guess that one of the problems is little shops selling fags to school kids. I know of three or four that definately do.

I think the reason of making it illegal to buy cigarettes is because it would be pretty pointless, you cant really prosecute an 14 year old for trying to buy cigarettes

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
Wrong!

But at the age of 18 are you really likely to be pressured into smoking? If the Government think it will work, Im all for it. I just dont understand it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here