Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chuggers

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Annoying, but probably more cost effective than running a cinema or newspaper campaign.

Funny that isn't it though, nobody complains about about the cameraman, the printer, the editor etc... (or Terry Wogan :) ) getting paid to advertise a charity, but when someone asks you directly everyones got a problem.

I agree can be annoying, but you should really experience it in London you'll get asked by two or three in the process of buying a sandwich.

.. but they are NOTHING to compared to antics of scientologists in central London.

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania
Charities use chuggers because it is getting progressively harder and more expensive to raise money. It is generally at least as cost-effective as running a mailing campaign, TV ads or telephone campaigns and often more-so.

It costs money to raise money, fact.

Many of the charities that use tin-rattlers fail to break even on the activity, and it’s not a long-term way of sourcing funds. The advantage for them of using chuggers is that they get monthly gifts, so they can plan on this money coming in over a period of time, and plan to help their beneficiaries (remember them?) accordingly. If you wanted to get a mortgage, which do you think is better to say to the lender, “I have a bit of cash come in every now and again from jobs” or “I have a monthly salary of X drop into my account every month?” No contest.

You may not like chuggers, and have various ‘clever’ ways to feel superior to them, but well over 250,000 people per year commit to donate to charities through chuggers. That equates to approximately seventy five million quid’s worth of charity donations in total, and if the cost of that is a slight level of irritation when buying a sandwich, then I think that that is a cost that UK society can bear.

Charities have a legal right to carry out this fundraising – but they must do it well and follow the rules. If you’re unhappy with it, complain to the charity. They will listen. If they’re any good they’ll also ask you for a donation. Bear in mind, that if they had enough money, they wouldn’t have to do this.

Oh and anyone who has actually been mugged (perhaps like me, wearing my colours in Preston and Grimsby) will tell you that calling them “charity muggers” is pretty far wide of the mark, however catchy a label it may be.

Spare a tenner anyone?

:bigwave:

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Put on your best estuary English accent and simply repeat the phrase:

"I'm terribly sorry but I don't speak a word of English, unfortunately I cannot understand a word that you are saying, awfully sorry I cannot be of more assistance"

Gets them every time

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Charities use chuggers because it is getting progressively harder and more expensive to raise money. It is generally at least as cost-effective as running a mailing campaign, TV ads or telephone campaigns and often more-so.

It costs money to raise money, fact.

Many of the charities that use tin-rattlers fail to break even on the activity, and it’s not a long-term way of sourcing funds. The advantage for them of using chuggers is that they get monthly gifts, so they can plan on this money coming in over a period of time, and plan to help their beneficiaries (remember them?) accordingly. If you wanted to get a mortgage, which do you think is better to say to the lender, “I have a bit of cash come in every now and again from jobs” or “I have a monthly salary of X drop into my account every month?” No contest.

You may not like chuggers, and have various ‘clever’ ways to feel superior to them, but well over 250,000 people per year commit to donate to charities through chuggers. That equates to approximately seventy five million quid’s worth of charity donations in total, and if the cost of that is a slight level of irritation when buying a sandwich, then I think that that is a cost that UK society can bear.

Charities have a legal right to carry out this fundraising – but they must do it well and follow the rules. If you’re unhappy with it, complain to the charity. They will listen. If they’re any good they’ll also ask you for a donation. Bear in mind, that if they had enough money, they wouldn’t have to do this.

Oh and anyone who has actually been mugged (perhaps like me, wearing my colours in Preston and Grimsby) will tell you that calling them “charity muggers” is pretty far wide of the mark, however catchy a label it may be.

Spare a tenner anyone?

:bigwave:
Good point, I personally prefer the word 'cheggars' (charity beggars) because they are begging rather than mugging.

I do think you've missed the point though. Yes they all do good work, yes if they didn't need the money they wouldn't do it, and sadly as you say it must be an effective method otherwise they'd go back to more passive fund-raising. But as you can tell by all the posts on this thread (except yours) we don't like it. In fact we deeply resent it in the same way as we resent cold calls from double-glazing salesmen. If you can't understand that then you don't understand human nature.

As well as being slightly irritated by your somewhat sanctimonious post I also disagree with one of your points. I've worked for both a charity and a not-for-profit organisation and strangely one of the worst things (IMO) you can have is regular income. The charity becomes 'lazy' it starts spending money on things it thinks are essential - such as office refurbishments. This is especially true when there is income but no specific spending projects in progress. Although they will obviously deny it charities work best when they're on a perpetual financial knife-edge. They are FAR more focussed.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I seriously object to people being paid to lay a guilt trip on me. I am not rude - but I never ever stop.

People volunteering to rattle tins though - nearly always get my money.

Other thing is to ask if they can come to your office during their lunch break

:laugh:

Great response.
Personally though, I refuse to feel shamed by walking past them - especially knowing that most of the money donated is simply going to the SELF-CALCULATED SALARY of the administrator of the charity, and that they get the people working for them FREE, as volunteers!
For those who aren't aware - charities can legally shuffle away 90% of their takings for admin. and office charges. That's IF they even declare all of it, as it is CASH we are talking about here. If they solicit for money, it precludes the concept of your voluntary donating to the charity of your choice!

So, to anyone who cares about giving to ANY charity, I would strongly suggest you choose one for yourself and donate (also suggest you research them, to know that the money is allocated properly) - then tell the street 'chuggers' that you already donate to a favoured and chosen charity, or that you have "already donated".

Giving to the homeless. is already taken care of - simply buy a 'Big Issue'. If you want to donate more, buy two.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here