Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chuggers

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
My stroll from the office down the road to purchase a "Sub of the day" yesterday lunchtime was ruined by "chuggers" (the people that come at you with clipboards asking you to donate so much a month to charity). Normally I manage to avoid them by playing the "pretend to be in a hurry" or "suddenly get a text" game. On this occassion I was very unlucky. The first one approached me and I carried on walking saying I wasn't interested. Then having bought my lunch, I had made the foolish mistake of ending up on the opposite side of the road meaning new chuggers could circle me like vultures. I skillfully avoided the second one without even replying to his plea. The third one on the other hand, completely blocked my path so I told her in no uncertain terms just how irritating she was and how she had ruined my lunch time. I didn't hang around and hear her reply otherwise it may well have turned physical.

Surely there is a law to prevent these pests from wondering our streets. I know people are no longer allowed to shake there tins on the street and actually ask for money so how do chuggers get away with it?

Don't get me wrong I have nothing against raising money for charity but there are much better and more rewarding ways to do it.

rant over........

.....and breathe

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The problem I have with them is that they are employed not by the charity but by sales companies making a profit. At least the tin shakers were usually volunteers helping a charity on their own time.

D

Deleted User X18H

Yes I do not donate to a charity with a person paid or in paid employment to collect for them.

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
get loads of the fuckers in Slough. A couple of years ago one stepped in front of me so I kept walking through her, when her mate squared up I simply said the stupid bitch should understand that deliberately walking into someones path was not the best way to get someone to answer a survey especially as I'd already said no to her.
Other thing is to ask if they can come to your office during their lunch break

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
They earn tons of cash for it though - when i was looking at doing it - it was £10 an hour minimum!!

I just smile, say no thanks, and then turn my ipod up full whack so i cant hear their pleas afterwards!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Somewhere down the line, I could probably acknowledge that the chuggers are there to do a worthwhile job - or rather to do a job in a worthwhile cause, and of course no-one minds them getting paid for it, no matter how blinkered HB&B's attitude is to paid charity work.

However, their methods are extremely irritating. Under no cricumstances do I ever want to be approached in a street by anyone - especially a stranger - begging for money. To come up to me, in fact to partially block my way and ask me for something I have little or no knowledge of gives me a royal pain in the arse. I don't like crusties and beggars doing it, so why should I tolerate these people, simply because they have a bib on?

I will give to charity in a manner of my choosing to the amount I decide. :angry:

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
I create a riduculous story to make them feel bad. Usually it's "I'm a poor student with no money, about to be evicted, haven't eaten for days etc". Usually shuts them up. Sometimes I pretend to be foreign.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
What did you have in your sub ?

Monday is Turkey and Ham, and of course added to that I had it toasted with cheese, all the salads and ranch sauce, on Honey Oat bread........eating that improved my mood slightly.

They seem to be there about 3 times a week, blocking both sides of Clapham High Street. In future I think I will take my iPod with me, or perhaps a long stick to keep them at bay....

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The problem I have with them is that they are employed not by the charity but by sales companies making a profit. At least the tin shakers were usually volunteers helping a charity on their own time.

Not what I have learnt...........the tin shakers also take a split from th coins in their box......I kid you not !!

The charities themselves are happy because they get their slice and the tin shakers well ....... there just happy....book keeping probably not their strong point :glare:

I must say I always give to the poppy appeal and I just know that they would give every last 1p to their charity.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Might have a walk in town later to play "Chin the Chugger"

IMO could be quite an effective way in dealing with the street pests !

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Chuggers.

Soul-less
Spine-less
Scruple-less
Morally devoid motherfuckers, each and evry f***ing one of them.

The sort of wankers that go on to become letting agents.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Badgers sub sounds wondrous. I wish we had a sub in Haywards Heath.
I just paid £3.80 for a baguette with ham, sliced egg, salad cream and red onion, and a bag of Walkers worcester sauce flavoured crisps. This seems a little excessive to me on reflection. Serves me right for being too lazy to make my own sarnies last night I suppose.

I;m rambling. Carry on.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Badgers sub sounds wondrous. I wish we had a sub in Haywards Heath.
I just paid £3.80 for a baguette with ham, sliced egg, salad cream and red onion, and a bag of Walkers worcester sauce flavoured crisps. This seems a little excessive to me on reflection. Serves me right for being too lazy to make my own sarnies last night I suppose.

I;m rambling. Carry on.

It cant be too long, I mean there is a Starbucks!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
like actual beggers, i just ignore them and walk on as if they are not there. if they get in my face (which real beggers dont do.. seems they have more manners) i tell them to f*** off. that usually wipes the cheery little smile off their face.

yes, trainee estate agents and recruitment "consultants".

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
I usually listen to their pitch, then say I can't afford it but am willing to go halves with them if it's as worthwhile as they say it is.

They then tend to lose interest in me and my wallet

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It cant be too long, I mean there is a Starbucks!

I have to walk past 2 Starbucks, a Nero, a Costa, a McDonalds and a KFC in order to get to Subway

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Subs is grim. Have some real bread with real fillings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here