Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Christians seem to be really good people

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think God is fair, he must be since even we humans have a sense of justice, so if we are capable of it, God is going to be even more just than us.

Some humans are extremely evil. So if we're capable of evil, just imagine how evil God must be.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I've been told off for not answering a question, although it wasn't intentional, so can someone answer my question: Most suffering in the world today is caused by people. There is more than enough food to feed everyone, but people are starving. Is that God's fault or ours? Hundreds of thousands have died in the Ukraine. Whose fault are these two things?

it is your god's fault for not ensuring food is available where needed. it is your god's fault for not protecting the Ukrainian who had no interest in war.

And it's his god's fault for allowing such terrible weapons to exist. He gave humans the ability to create nuclear weapons, but that's not the fault of 99.99999% of people, who will suffer for it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Some humans are extremely evil. So if we're capable of evil, just imagine how evil God must be.
we are created in his image after all.

W3D

I'm Thirsty
Apr 21, 2021
Worthing
If you get to heaven by living a certain type of life, why do we pray for the soul of the departed at a funeral? Surely the decision has already been made about his direction of travel!

W3D

I'm Thirsty
Apr 21, 2021
Worthing
So, there's this lapsed catholic frantically driving round a rammed car park desperately trying to find a space. In desperation he calls out " Lord, find me a space, and I promise I'll come back to confession, stop drinking and fornicating and live a pious life"
At that moment he drives round a corner and sees a space " second thoughts Lord, don't bither " he cries out " I've just found one"

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I've been told off for not answering a question, although it wasn't intentional, so can someone answer my question: Most suffering in the world today is caused by people. There is more than enough food to feed everyone, but people are starving. Is that God's fault or ours? Hundreds of thousands have died in the Ukraine. Whose fault are these two things?
It is mans fault, it is mans nature, I say that is how we have evolved, as with most other species that live in groups, we are selfish, and have wars with competitive groups of the same species.
But wouldn't you have to say that it is Gods fault for making this Mans nature, or even accepting evolution, for setting up a world that would lead to this evolutionary path?

I think you are missing the point, most here are not blaming God for our woes, we are just pointing out the absurdity of believing in a just and loving God, as you seem to believe in, and Jesus claimed existed.

W3D

I'm Thirsty
Apr 21, 2021
Worthing
Great question! Come to think of it, why do we pray at all? Any evidence of it doing any good?
Exactly, in the tragic event of a child going missing we're all encouraged to pray, as if the sheer quantity of people praying will effect the outcome. Is the big man sitting up there counting, saying " sorry guys, you need another couple of thousand prayers before I even think about saving this child"?

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol
Exactly, in the tragic event of a child going missing we're all encouraged to pray, as if the sheer quantity of people praying will effect the outcome. Is the big man sitting up there counting, saying " sorry guys, you need another couple of thousand prayers before I even think about saving this child"?
While many footballers cross themselves as they enter the pitch, as if god gives a **** about the outcome of a football match.

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
Ok, a couple more questions because I am genuinely interested in your answer.

I do not believe in your false god, that is my purgative as it your to believe in him, we have established that.
I according to you am going to hell when I die, and so are all the other non believers correct ?
Yes

Where do you stand on the LGBT community and do they
1: go to hell because they are in the LGBT community ?

Everyone is destined for hell regardless of sexual orientation unless and until they acknowledge Jesus as Lord and submit to him. He gave his life for us so that we could be spared the righteous wrath of God, but in exchange we must give our lives to him.

2: If they are in LGBT community and do believe in Jesus/God do they still go to hell ?
This is my personal answer here, so bear that in mind. I'm not some kind of Vicar/Priest/Pastor/Pope person, so I can only speak as I see it.
Firstly, God is the judge, not me. I don't think it's enough merely to believe in Jesus. You have to follow him.

A Christian is (or at least should be in my opinion) a follower of Jesus. What does it mean to be a follower of Jesus? You can't be a follower of Jesus if you are going in a completely different direction to him. Being a follower of his also implies believing in him. I suppose one could be a follower of Jesus without believing in him, but that would be weird. (For example, if you like the teachings of Jesus as stated in the Gospels, but don't believe he was an actual historical figure).

The first step and the key thing is to acknowledge that you are a sinner in need of God's grace and mercy and cry out to him for forgiveness, and submit to him. You submit to him as he submitted to the Father.

It's probably not for me to judge another person's path, but I definitely don't think they could be actively living the gay lifestyle, any more than a heterosexual person could continue sleeping around and being promiscuous. We are called to the obedience that comes from faith. You can't just say, "Oh yeah, I believe in Jesus" and continue sinning. Of course, we're not going to be perfect and get everything right instantly overnight, but over time one's life should start to conform to the will of God. There are two things: righteousness and holiness. Righteousness is a gift and comes through faith, but holiness is a process that we are involved in and we work at it.

Also, when you say they are in the LGBT community, I suppose it depends what you mean by that. Just because they become a follower of Jesus doesn't necessarily mean that they will cut all ties with all their friends instantly, and I don't personally see a problem with that. However, over time they may find that their interests and life-goals change and they will perhaps have less in common with their old friends. That can happen to anyone who becomes a Christian, not just gay people.

No slippery answers, I would appreciate your honest answer, thank you
I won't judge you, unlike your god.
God's not going to judge me because there is no condemnation for those who are in Jesus.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Yes

Everyone is destined for hell regardless of sexual orientation unless and until they acknowledge Jesus as Lord and submit to him. He gave his life for us so that we could be spared the righteous wrath of God, but in exchange we must give our lives to him.

This is my personal answer here, so bear that in mind. I'm not some kind of Vicar/Priest/Pastor/Pope person, so I can only speak as I see it.
Firstly, God is the judge, not me. I don't think it's enough merely to believe in Jesus. You have to follow him.

A Christian is (or at least should be in my opinion) a follower of Jesus. What does it mean to be a follower of Jesus? You can't be a follower of Jesus if you are going in a completely different direction to him. Being a follower of his also implies believing in him. I suppose one could be a follower of Jesus without believing in him, but that would be weird. (For example, if you like the teachings of Jesus as stated in the Gospels, but don't believe he was an actual historical figure).

The first step and the key thing is to acknowledge that you are a sinner in need of God's grace and mercy and cry out to him for forgiveness, and submit to him. You submit to him as he submitted to the Father.

It's probably not for me to judge another person's path, but I definitely don't think they could be actively living the gay lifestyle, any more than a heterosexual person could continue sleeping around and being promiscuous. We are called to the obedience that comes from faith. You can't just say, "Oh yeah, I believe in Jesus" and continue sinning. Of course, we're not going to be perfect and get everything right instantly overnight, but over time one's life should start to conform to the will of God. There are two things: righteousness and holiness. Righteousness is a gift and comes through faith, but holiness is a process that we are involved in and we work at it.

Also, when you say they are in the LGBT community, I suppose it depends what you mean by that. Just because they become a follower of Jesus doesn't necessarily mean that they will cut all ties with all their friends instantly, and I don't personally see a problem with that. However, over time they may find that their interests and life-goals change and they will perhaps have less in common with their old friends. That can happen to anyone who becomes a Christian, not just gay people.

God's not going to judge me because there is no condemnation for those who are in Jesus.
As I suspected, thank you for your guarded answers.

You are right on one thing, Gods not going to judge you, because even if an almighty heavenly deity existed, they are definitely not a “Christian”

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
If you get to heaven by living a certain type of life, why do we pray for the soul of the departed at a funeral? Surely the decision has already been made about his direction of travel!
I agree with what you are saying about the decision already having been made.
It's the blood of Jesus that atones for our sin and spares us from the righteous wrath of God. You get to heaven by turning from your sins, asking God to forgive you, and deciding that you are going to follow Jesus and then doing it for the rest of your life. It's faith that saves you, we cannot earn our way to heaven by being good, but after we've trusted in Jesus, obedience should come as a consequence of our faith.

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
As I suspected, thank you for your guarded answers.

I thought you might say something like this, but I'm trying to answer the questions as you've asked them.
I feel as though you are really asking a different question. For example, you asked whether people go to hell because they are in the LGBT community. Is that the question you want to ask, or do you really want to ask whether being gay is a sin, or whether committing sexual acts with someone of the same sex is a sin? I tried to answer the question you asked, not second-guess what question you were really wishing to ask.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
do you really want to ask whether being gay is a sin, or whether committing sexual acts with someone of the same sex is a sin? I tried to answer the question you asked, not second-guess what question you were really wishing to ask.
Thank you for replying, yes I was tiptoeing around that, trying to not make you uncomfortable, but yes, Ok, let’s run with that Question.

yes you did try, I appreciate that.

Last edited:

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Just thought I'd ask, do you sincerely feel that almost every Christian you've met seems to be a genuinely really good person, or are you just saying that to provoke discussion? Just curious, if you don't mind elaborating on this.

Yep, the thread was inspired by a friend that I have and his friends from the same church.

Genuinely good, moral people. Impressively so.

I definitely think that Christianity generally results in improved moral values.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
No, I'm not having a laugh, but a lot of people died in Turkey because of people not complying with building regs so they could make more profit. Is that God's fault that they cut corners so that they could make more money? Is God to blame for that?
Your lack of answer and deflection appears to be you saying if you die from a tsunami, earthquake or volcano and building regultions are not involved then it is your Gods fault for killing people, but if there is an earthquake, tsuami and volcano caused by God and you can pin any of the deaths on poor building regulations, then your God is absolved of any responsibility.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
@kuzushi - so if we don't go to heaven, do we go to hell, or do we go nowhere?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here