Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Christian Walton (permanent transfer to Ipswich)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Nothing to say that the regular penalty taker is going to put the ball in the same place every time of course! but obviously keepers need all the help they can get when it comes to trying to keep out a spot kick.

Come to that, any penalty placed properly and hit hard enough, should be pretty much unsavable, whatever a goalkeeper does.

Staying where you are will save quite a few

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
He meant throughout a match, although of course penalties as well. Most strikers have a favoured foot.
Stockdale saved a penalty at Fulham and Birmingham too.

Stockers made just about the best save, (two from the same pen!), that l have ever seen from a penalty, against Sheffield Wed, at the Amex in our promotion season.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
That's true actually, often wonder why keepers don't do that more often.

They do often leave their legs in the middle when diving.. Going high is tricky and rare so some kind of dive is better than none. Anyway if keepers stayed central all the time then penalty takers would clue up to it very quickly.

I have heard it said that going down the middle is a more common tactic for last-minute pens when there is more pressure on keepers to make the save and they are more likely to dive full stretch as a result.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
They do often leave their legs in the middle when diving.. Going high is tricky and rare so some kind of dive is better than none. Anyway if keepers stayed central all the time then penalty takers would clue up to it very quickly.

I have heard it said that going down the middle is a more common tactic for last-minute pens when there is more pressure on keepers to make the save and they are more likely to dive full stretch as a result.

Often a tactic employed in penalty shoot outs, or in games when players not so used to taking spot kicks need to take one, just hit the ball hard and hope!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
If you're not that good, then hard and down the middle is the best penalty you can take.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
If you're not that good, then hard and down the middle is the best penalty you can take.

But putting it down the middle does not mean you're not that good. There is also a theory about it. I heard that ex-keeper say that a meaningful penalty late in the game makes a goalie picture himself as the hero - so they are more likely to dive. Quite often late penalties will be put down the middle.

Also it is part of any penalty taker's armoury. Keep the goalie (and the analysts pre-match) guessing.

Plus - whacking it as hard as you can can work. Geoff Hurst used to take that approach on occasions.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
But putting it down the middle does not mean you're not that good. There is also a theory about it. I heard that ex-keeper say that a meaningful penalty late in the game makes a goalie picture himself as the hero - so they are more likely to dive. Quite often late penalties will be put down the middle.

Also it is part of any penalty taker's armoury. Keep the goalie (and the analysts pre-match) guessing.

Plus - whacking it as hard as you can can work. Geoff Hurst used to take that approach on occasions.

Power and placement is the best combo Shirley? hit the ball hard into the corner, and no goalkeeper will be able to reach it.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
He meant throughout a match, although of course penalties as well. Most strikers have a favoured foot.

Only two players in Premier League history, have scored penalties with BOTH feet.

One is Bobby Zamora

(other is Obamfemi Martins)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I am reminded of the brilliant penalty save by Ben Roberts in the Swindon playoffs. He dived to his right, but kept his left arm up, which saved the penalty. By doing that he covered both the right hand side and the centre.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Power and placement is the best combo Shirley? hit the ball hard into the corner, and no goalkeeper will be able to reach it.

But that's the hardest combination - even when there is no pressure. If you can almost guarantee the keeper is going to fling himself to one side - then why take the chance - just lift it off the ground and put it down the middle.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Naylor says we have a further year option on Walton's contract which we are likely to trigger.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Only two players in Premier League history, have scored penalties with BOTH feet.

One is Bobby Zamora

(other is Obamfemi Martins)

Why did Bob take one with his right?!

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
David Stockdale told me personally that Ben Roberts insists all the keepers memorise the opposition penalty takers. Obviously it is difficult to know who exactly is going to be selected, but generally teams stick with the usual ones.

Entirely agree with that, and in open play a penalty taken by one of their players would undoubtedly be researched . But to know about the 5 random takers in a shootout I dont think so .

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Entirely agree with that, and in open play a penalty taken by one of their players would undoubtedly be researched . But to know about the 5 random takers in a shootout I dont think so .

Memorising seven or eight players before a game is no harder than learning the times tables.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here