Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Christian Walton (permanent transfer to Ipswich)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good luck to him and all that, but it’s bad business for us.
We are letting a multi million pound asset walk away for nothing.

What do you suggest the club does differently?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Fulham will be looking for a new number one, could be a good move for both parties.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
What do you suggest the club does differently?

Taken up the year option and sold for a few quid, after sending him on loan to rebuild his profile?
There may be reasons why that hasn’t happened and it may be too late for that.
But at the end off the day, it is a fact that a Championship-proven, England under-21 cap we have invested in, is walking away for nothing.
That is a bit sad imho.
I remember talk of £10m on here not so long ago!

Last edited:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
He has another 10-15 years to fulfill his potential, this could have been his season if not for the pre-season injury. It's a bit sad it won't be with us, but all the very best to a good professional.
It'll be interesting to see if we get another number 2 or 3 to compete with Steele and Sanchez, or promote McGill or another U21.

I would expect Rushworth to be the next cab off the rank.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Taken up the year option and sold for a few quid, after sending him on loan to rebuild his profile?
But at the end off the day, it is a fact that a Championship-proven, England under-21 cap we have invested in, is walking away for nothing.
That is a bit sad imho.

I honestly don't think we would have got very much for him, especially in a Covid depressed market and we're a decent club, I think sometimes you have to think of the player. He's been with us for years but never really featured, farmed out on loan constantly. Being available on a free will give him more options to hopefully choose a good club where he can rebuild his career.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I honestly don't think we would have got very much for him, especially in a Covid depressed market and we're a decent club, I think sometimes you have to think of the player. He's been with us for years but never really featured, farmed out on loan constantly. Being available on a free will give him more options to hopefully choose a good club where he can rebuild his career.

Yeah, I can see him going for a few million in couple of years though.
His Albion downfall is largely due to the emergence of an absolute superstar...so that’s a pretty massive silver lining.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Walton has never looked like he had the potential that Sanchez has shown. I have followed the careers of both with interest on screen and live when opportunity permitted and despite the age and experience gap, I've always thought Sanchez would be Prem first team ready before Walton. He has always had more presence to inspire confidence. It wouldn't surprise me if Walton has always been seen as the back up for Sanchez rather than the other way round. Walton has a decent CV already from loans and I would see him at a good Champioship side with still the potential to be another Nick Pope or whatever. I wish him well. He's been unlucky that a prodigy has leapfrogged his progress with Albion, so it's time to move on.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That is a bit sad imho.

What message does that send to other players in a similar position, and crucially what message does that send to youngsters thinking about singing for the Albion?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
That is a bit sad imho.

That wouldn't really work though as we'd be in the same position in a years time as he'd be out of contract again, so the only option would be to renew the contract and sell this summer with no guarantee of a buyer. A 6 month or year loan doesn't change that, I doubt anyone would want to pay for him next January if we did renew knowing he would be free in a few months time. This way he's off our wage bill and in a better position to find a club as he'll be on a free rather than potentially another season not playing.

Sometimes it's about more than just missing out on a transfer fee, which wouldn't be that big anymore and you have to look after the player. Naylor is reporting this is by mutual consent so it sounds as though Walton wanted to move on and there is no point in keeping a player against their wishes.

Does this mean we are still in the running for Cakir the Turkish keeper...

According to Naylor on Twitter we aren’t pursuing Cakir.

[tweet]1385848139941355521[/tweet]

Last edited:

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
It's a shame it didn't work out for him after all this time, I hope he gets a contract with a decent Championship club which is probably his level.
The financial struggle that Championship clubs are facing would probably have played a part in the club not renewing his contract and letting him go as a free agent as they know they'll struggle to pick up a fee and would still like him off the wage bill.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
What message does that send to other players in a similar position, and crucially what message does that send to youngsters thinking about singing for the Albion?

Hopefully the message is that we give youngsters a good loan career structure, especially keepers where there is only one active place in the first team. They get well paid, experience, maybe win promotions and International development until we know if they can break in to a Prem first team. Maybe we keep, maybe they make it or perhaps they leave with a fee or by mutual consent. But a great grounding for a young keeper.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Hopefully the message is that we give youngsters a good loan career structure, especially keepers where there is only one active place in the first team. They get well paid, experience, maybe win promotions and International development until we know if they can break in to a Prem first team. Maybe we keep, maybe they make it or perhaps they leave with a fee or by mutual consent. But a great grounding for a young keeper.

I agree.

By not enacting the year option or chasing a fee, I would say it portrays Brighton in a good way for younger players.

Just shows integrity.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Does this mean we are still in the running for Cakir the Turkish keeper...

No but there are rumours regarding West Brom' s Sam Johnstone who will have just one year left on his contract this summer.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

Yes , Fair point .
Generally though I would say to go from having an championship-proven, eng under 21 , young keeper on a long contract, to releasing him on a free is not an example in itself an example of good Albion business.
Although , sure, his low key exit can’t be separated from the rise of big Bob . Unfortunately for Walton he got unlucky with injury and then got queue jumped .
And when comparing Bob , with Walton , add a zero . So the bigger keeper picture is rosy

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Sadly for Walton I think we got promoted to the PL that spelt the end for him due to the club signing an experienced shot stopper. Good championship keeper so should get fixed up ok

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I fear that within the historic set up and the lack of opportunities for young talent we panicked and signed Button and Steele who have blocked the obvious path for Walton. We allowed Button to leave last summer knowing Walton would be able to step into the spot and an unfortunate injury has been amazing for Sanchez.

It is unfair to keep him around as third choice or to string him along with loans as a potential superstar. I personally will wish him all the best and look out for his career

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes , Fair point .
Generally though I would say to go from having an championship-proven, eng under 21 , young keeper on a long contract, to releasing him on a free is not an example in itself an example of good Albion business.
Although , sure, his low key exit can’t be separated from the rise of big Bob . Unfortunately for Walton he got unlucky with injury and then got queue jumped .
And when comparing Bob , with Walton , add a zero . So the bigger keeper picture is rosy

The club can't tell all the players younger than Walton and all the players looking at the Albion hoping to be the next CW, Big Bob, Alzate et al, we'll nurture you but if it doesn't work out, we'll screw you over for £500k.

Taking the clause & Insisting on a fee takes money directly out of Walton's pocket and instantly reduces the pool of teams for which he can sing.

The Albion gains far more by at least seeing to have done right by a young prospect, than it would in the transfer market.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Fulham will be looking for a new number one, could be a good move for both parties.

Why specifically Fulham? On the assumption that they are headed for relegation, they will want to bounce straight back up next season, and to be honest they will be looking for someone with more credo than our 3rd choice keeper.

Sorry Christian but l think you may have to set your sights a little bit lower.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here