Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Christian Eriksen

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
See the Danish management and players are saying they shouldn't have played the game (they lost).

I would go along with that, total lack of respect for someone who very nearly lost their life playing a game, that makes certain people millions of pounds.
The team are not ever going to be in the right frame of mind and a clear advantage to Finland, it is like punishing Denmark for something that no body could foresee of prevent.
I wonder would they have started again, if he had sadly passed on.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I understand that the Danes were given the option to delay the restart until the following day.

They elected, en mass, to continue once they were aware of Eriksen's well being.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Apparently Harry Kane has been to see Christian Eriksen in hospital this morning.
"He's just about stringing some words together and making good progrees"
said Eriksen.

:lol: Lovely stuff!

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57508250

ce1.JPG

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds

As unnerving as it must be to have one of these devices fitted, they are incredible things. The technology saved this one footballer’s life after he collapsed following a cardiac arrest - watch as his legs convulse as is heart is automatically shocked, and then immediately sits up. From clinically dead to sat up in two seconds.

I don’t know what all this means for Eriksen’s career, but I hope it at least gives him and his family some much needed peace of mind.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Sharma was they guy my consultant sent my ECG results to for another opinion - I only remember because we were discussing it in the context of running and he told me he's apparently the 'official cardiologist of the London Marathon' (presumably has a hoodie displaying the words) or something (Med Director probably).

Professor Sharma was one of the surgeons involved in my 2 heart operations in St George’s Tooting. The first one was the first time the particular op had been performed in this country for the particular syndrome I have. The NHS flew a surgeon in from the States to teach our surgeons how to do it.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
As unnerving as it must be to have one of these devices fitted, they are incredible things. The technology saved this one footballer’s life after he collapsed following a cardiac arrest - watch as his legs convulse as is heart is automatically shocked, and then immediately sits up. From clinically dead to sat up in two seconds.

I don’t know what all this means for Eriksen’s career, but I hope it at least gives him and his family some much needed peace of mind.

I have an an ICD, ( heart starter) and have had over 60 shocks from it .

Not a pleasant experience, but, it is life saving.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Bloody hell!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

It is ironic but the ICD or defibrillator isn't a heart starting device. It is a heart stopping device. It evenly depolarizes the heart so the multiple waves of conduction you have in ventricular fibrillation all cease as they can't conduct through depolarized tissue. Then the sinoatrial node starts firing (the heart's own pacemaker) and normal sinus rhythm resumes.

The patient faints in VF not because he/she is 'dead' but because there is no blood supply to the brain (the heart in VF does not eject blood). If that lasts too long (minutes) the brain won't recover even if normal hear rhythm resumes, and the patient will be dead, dead. There is no such thing as recovery from being 'clinically dead'. That's why CPR is used - to keep some sort of cardiac output with most of it going to the brain (we have reflexes that constrict all blood vessels except those to the brain if we lose cardiac output).

The other thing that is used, the chest thump (see the Vinny Jones video) mimicks the ICD by depolarizing the heart. Personally I suspect the chest thump is the better option since CPR does not terminate VF but a chest thump may. Not sure how you'd compare the two, ethically, in humans, though.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I have an an ICD, ( heart starter) and have had over 60 shocks from it .

Not a pleasant experience, but, it is life saving.

Sorry to hear it's required, LLL - but really good for you that you've got it! Would you mind talking a little bit about how you were diagnosed as needing it, and what it's like? 60 shocks sounds incredibly high to me - is that higher than they'd expect it to be needed?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Sorry to hear it's required, LLL - but really good for you that you've got it! Would you mind talking a little bit about how you were diagnosed as needing it, and what it's like? 60 shocks sounds incredibly high to me - is that higher than they'd expect it to be needed?

On this thread or shall I PM you?

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
On this thread or shall I PM you?

Entirely up to you - if you're comfortable sharing in public than I'd say go for it. I only ask because I assume there will be plenty of people like me who are fascinated by this device, how it works and how it impacts the wearer on a daily basis (if at all).

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Entirely up to you - if you're comfortable sharing in public than I'd say go for it. I only ask because I assume there will be plenty of people like me who are fascinated by this device, how it works and how it impacts the wearer on a daily basis (if at all).

Okay.

In 2008 I had an arrhythmia, leading to cardiac arrest in my sleep, Luckily, Mrs LLF woke up, phoned 999 and was told to get me on the floor to do CPR. She called in my 2 teenage sons to get me off the bed and thank goodness, they dropped me. The jolt was enough to knock my heart back into normal rhythm. I was taken to hospital and was diagnosed with Brugada syndrome, a fairly rare genetic heart problem. The electrical signals that tell the heart to beat, go haywire and the heart goes into arrhythmia. The heart then needs a shock or jolt to move it back into normal rhythm. The heart will beat so fast in arrhythmia, that in reality it just twitches, the highest beats per minute mine has been recorded at is 335.
I was fitted with an ICD( implantable cardioverter defribulator) which is placed in between the fat and muscle on your chest next to your armpit, it’s about the size of a fag packet, with wires into your heart. I am now on my third one as I have used up the 10 year battery on 2 , from having so many shocks.
The shocks vary in severity, some feel like you’ve been kicked in the chest, and I have slept through 2, and not realised that anything has happened, but it is usually more traumatic than that. One I had, I clashed my teeth together so hard , I lost a filling.
When I was having the shocks, for the first 3-4 years I would only have one in a night, the first thing I knew I would wake up with my body going into panic mode, and about a second later the ICD would fire.It affected Mrs LLF more, as the first she knew of it would be me, shouting very loudly. Every night we went to bed, she would worry I was going to have a shock and it did affect her sleeping.
In 2012 my consultant at St George’s hospital in Tooting asked if I would be prepared to have a ground breaking operation that had never been done in this country to try to reduce or even stop the arrhythmia. I agreed and had an 8 hour procedure that basically burnt out the deep seated ‘ scar’ that was the cause of the Brugada. I don’t really understand the whole medical reasons this would work, but, thankfully my Doctors are a lot cleverer than me. The NHS flew a surgeon in from the States to demonstrate the procedure to the British Docs.
Unfortunately, it didn’t work.

I continued to have shocks, and if anything, they got worse, more of them and they came in clusters 3 or 4 a night in some cases. Thankfully, I was still only getting them at night in my sleep.
My Consultant in Tooting asked if I would like to have a repeat procedure, as when reviewing my operation it was thought they may have missed a small section of scaring, I again agreed to it, and they went for it again in 2017.
When they were operating, they induced the arrhythmia and couldn’t find anything in the top chambers of my heart, so, after scratching their heads and having a think about it, they tested the bottom chambers. They found more scaring there and carried out another ablation on it.
This is very, very rare to have the Brugada in all the heart chambers, I’m the only person in Europe to be found with this, and only one of five in the rest of the World that have been diagnosed.

Since the second op, I have had no more shocks, so, fingers crossed, I am over the worst. I may start getting shocks again, and will have an ICD for the rest of my life, but, at the moment, things are stable.
I can’t begin to thank the NHS, the genius Doctors, and all the rest of the hospital staff, but most of all my missus, who has been absolutely fantastic from the time she woke up to her husband dying beside her, through 2 major operations, through more than a few sleepless nights to scared to sleep, she has been a diamond.

As I say, I have had over 60 shocks, I lost count on about 55 and had a few more after that, and I know I’m the highest ever in Sussex , and definitely in the top 20 in Britain.
They aren’t certain there won’t be long term damage to my heart from the shocks, but as the alternative is death, I’ll risk it.

Last edited:

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Okay.

In 2008 I had an arrhythmia, leading to cardiac arrest in my sleep, Luckily, Mrs LLF woke up, phoned 999 and was told to get me on the floor to do CPR. She called in my 2 teenage sons to get me off the bed and thank goodness, they dropped me. The jolt was enough to knock my heart back into normal rhythm. I was taken to hospital and was diagnosed with Brugada syndrome, a fairly rare genetic heart problem. The electrical signals that tell the heart to beat, go haywire and the heart goes into arrhythmia. The heart then needs a shock or jolt to move it back into normal rhythm. The heart will beat so fast in arrhythmia, that in reality it just twitches, the highest beats per minute mine has been recorded at is 335.
I was fitted with an ICD( implantable cardioverter defribulator) which is placed in between the fat and muscle on your chest next to your armpit, it’s about the size of a fag packet, with wires into your heart. I am now on my third one as I have used up the 10 year battery on 2 , from having so many shocks.
The shocks vary in severity, some feel like you’ve been kicked in the chest, and I have slept through 2, and not realised that anything has happened, but it is usually more traumatic than that. One I had, I clashed my teeth together so hard , I lost a filling.
When I was having the shocks, for the first 3-4 years I would only have one in a night, the first thing I knew I would wake up with my body going into panic mode, and about a second later the ICD would fire.It affected Mrs LLF more, as the first she knew of it would be me, shouting very loudly. Every night we went to bed, she would worry I was going to have a shock and it did affect her sleeping.
In 2012 my consultant at St George’s hospital in Tooting asked if I would be prepared to have a ground breaking operation that had never been done in this country to try to reduce or even stop the arrhythmia. I agreed and had an 8 hour procedure that basically burnt out the deep seated ‘ scar’ that was the cause of the Brugada. I don’t really understand the whole medical reasons this would work, but, thankfully my Doctors are a lot cleverer than me. The NHS flew a surgeon in from the States to demonstrate the procedure to the British Docs.
Unfortunately, it didn’t work.

I continued to have shocks, and if anything, they got worse, more of them and they came in clusters 3 or 4 a night in some cases. Thankfully, I was still only getting them at night in my sleep.
My Consultant in Tooting asked if I would like to have a repeat procedure, as when reviewing my operation it was thought they may have missed a small section of scaring, I again agreed to it, and they went for it again in 2017.
When they were operating, they induced the arrhythmia and couldn’t find anything in the top chambers of my heart, so, after scratching their heads and having a think about it, they tested the bottom chambers. They found more scaring there and carried out another ablation on it.
This is very, very rare to have the Brugada in all the heart chambers, I’m the only person in Europe to be found with this, and only one of five in the rest of the World that have been diagnosed.

Since the second op, I have had no more shocks, so, fingers crossed, I am over the worst. I may start getting shocks again, and will have an ICD for the rest of my life, but, at the moment, things are stable.
I can’t begin to thank the NHS, the genius Doctors, and all the rest of the hospital staff, but most of all my missus, who has been absolutely fantastic from the time she woke up to her husband dying beside her, through 2 major operations, through more than a few sleepless nights to scared to sleep, she has been a diamond.

As I say, I have had over 60 shocks, I lost count on about 55 and had a few more after that, and I know I’m the highest ever in Sussex , and definitely in the top 20 in Britain.
They aren’t certain there won’t be long term damage to my heart from the shocks, but as the alternative is death, I’ll risk it.

Really really interesting. Thanks for sharing and thank goodness for your butter fingered sons!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here