Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Christian Eriksen

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'd like to sincerely apologise for my crass and stupid posts yesterday regarding the Euro 2020 top goalscorer and first scorer in this match. I was very selfish in thinking of money while a footballer's life was in danger. Betfred refunded the first scorer and they said the other bet should be settled soon. Hats off to them for showing great compassion. I certainly could learn a lesson or two from them. I really am a stupid wànker who contributes nothing to this board. This place will be so much nicer without my gibberish rantings that are a complete waste of time reading.

Best wishes to everyone on NSC.

I bet £1 e/w on Eriksen as top scorer at 80/1. On a different forum, I posted a daft comment about him. It was a mistake but, thankfully, there was an eagle-eyed member of that particular board that prompted me to delete that post. A delete function might be something for [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] to consider.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well done for apologising but don’t go. We’ve all made fools of ourselves at some time or other. If posting gibberish was so wrong on here, we’d all be gone.
Today is a brand new day, so put it behind you.

Well said.

(says he who has had the occasional rolled up newspaper batted round my ear by TB, and probably bang to rights :facepalm:)

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I had 20 quid on over 1 goal in the match yesterday and was looking forward to collecting my money as it seemed a second goal, probably from Denmark, was a near certainty until Erikson selfishly ruined the match. There's no way he would have missed the pen had he still been on the pitch and the ultimatum from UEFA to finish the match last night or at 12 noon today was disgraceful. Unlike you my bet was not refunded.

Is this a poor attempt at being funny?

Because its not.

Either way, I think you are a bloody idiot.

Iford Albion

Jul 30, 2017
Indeed. Cheers :thumbsup:

I'm still taken aback at the comments of the doctor (on R5 yesterday) who regularly tested CE's heart at Spurs. He said he had not detected hypertrophy or ECG ambnormalities. He then speculated on possible coronary artery disease and covid. I thought its was grossly unprofessional to reveal facts about CE's medical examinations. Why he then speculated about coronary artery disease (acute myocardial infarction preceded by chest pain) is beyond me given that the condition is unheard of in young fit athletes. It is possible but too unlikely to warrant any meaningful consideration. It's on a par with 'shot from a grassy knoll'. All the explanations I have mentioned on this thread are considered in this freely available article.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa1510687

As for Covid; alarm bells went when I heard this doc on the radio said that. There has been a phenomenon in science publishing for certain types of 'medical researcher' to rush to press with articles (usually viewpoints with no data) on Covid, its effects and its treatments. There is a whole gang in Americal that have been promoting untested 'medicines' - all the ones promoted by Trump.....need I go on? Likewise, I sit on a mitigating circumstances panel here where I work and any student who mentions Covid gets their extension request automatically accepted, ill or not, evidence or no. Invoking Covid is, to me, rather like the invocation of patriotism - the last refuge of someone with nothing to offer. I wasn't impressed.

Anyway . . . . I really shouldn't let the wittering of fools annoy me so much :facepalm: Unfortunately, sometimes they are impossible to ignore....
I

I thought making extenuation easy during covid was sensible. Loads of students had additional childcare responsibilities etc so it cut them a bit of slack during a difficult time.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I bet £1 e/w on Eriksen as top scorer at 80/1. On a different forum, I posted a daft comment about him. It was a mistake but, thankfully, there was an eagle-eyed member of that particular board that prompted me to delete that post. A delete function might be something for [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] to consider.

Mods can delete &/or edit posts. The ‘reply with quote’ functionality makes it a real PITA to erase all record of a post (even if one were so inclined to do so) as one has to delete the OP and then manually edit every reply that quotes it (deleting the OP content while leaving the reply). This then means that the reply is decontextualised.

As for the including the functionality for a user to delete their posts, I’d comment as follows - again speaking personally:

1. Users already have the ability to edit their own posts for a period of time (10-15 minutes, I think) after making any post. This allows time to correct typos and even to ‘delete’ the content entirely by editing out the text and replacing it with, say, an ellipsis if the poster thought ‘hang on, I’m not convinced I should have posted that’.

2. Any ability to delete a post after the 10-15 minute window has elapsed would clearly not extend to the ability to delete/edit others’ posts quoting the OP. In many cases where the OP is highly provocative, a reply quoting it appears very quickly (sometimes within seconds), making a user’s ability to subsequently delete their content somewhat redundant.

Given these comments, I’d also add that, for me, I’d rather have a situation that encouraged people to think about what they intend to post before pressing ‘send’ than one where they have a (highly ineffective) way of withdrawing the comment later.

NSC is often compared to a virtual home pub. You can’t unsay something in a pub, why should you be able to here. As in a pub, if a poster apologises for saying something they wish they hadn’t, the vast majority of folk are gracious enough to accept the apology and move on.

TL;DR? I think the current system works ok.

As you say though, it’s [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]’s ball and therefore his rules.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'd like to sincerely apologise for my crass and stupid posts yesterday regarding the Euro 2020 top goalscorer and first scorer in this match. I was very selfish in thinking of money while a footballer's life was in danger. Betfred refunded the first scorer and they said the other bet should be settled soon. Hats off to them for showing great compassion. I certainly could learn a lesson or two from them. I really am a stupid wànker who contributes nothing to this board. This place will be so much nicer without my gibberish rantings that are a complete waste of time reading.

Best wishes to everyone on NSC.

All good Durlston, we all err from time to time. No harm done and no need to leave or beat yourself up over it.

I would like to apologise to you for my jibe about your comment. Making smart arse comments about it didn't help any.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
A weird example to pick, as James Cook Hospital is just down the road from the Riverside, and it happens to be one of the best emergency trauma units in the country!

It’s a peculiarly English condition to hate everything to do with this country and think everything is better elsewhere. Our NHS has shown countless times over the past year what a great institution it is and it is pretty evident that any sports person suffering in the way CE did would receive care of the same standard.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Disagree....having had to watch my (42 yo) sister literally waste away for something like 3 months with terminal cancer, a swift exit (ideally dong something you enjoy) is infinitely preferable IMO.

Lightning hitting my fishing rod would be my preference
Ouch!

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I

I thought making extenuation easy during covid was sensible. Loads of students had additional childcare responsibilities etc so it cut them a bit of slack during a difficult time.

That's fine. The trouble is we are bypassing the normal requirements for medical evidence when a student mentions covid, which allows for mendacity. Partly separately, students who can't cope (for non covid related reasons) are using this to kick the can down the road, and some of them have come back a second or third time for extensions for the same bit of work. Then we are having to ask what steps they have taken to resolve all the other problems they have listed. Paradoxically the covid has sidestepped students getting a support process set up because the initial mitigation is done by an adminstrator since mentioning covid makes it uncontestable. We see the problem students only later when they ask for further extensions (these have to be seen by the committee). On the whole the rapid process is benefitting nobody - all students would have had the extensions granted anyway, but if the committee had had sight of all requests some action plans would have been set for those with other problems. Mind you the amount of extra work would have been eye watering. Even looking at the minority of tricky cases takes us an hour every morning (and an hour prep) and proper oversight would greble it at least.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Indeed. Cheers :thumbsup:

I'm still taken aback at the comments of the doctor (on R5 yesterday) who regularly tested CE's heart at Spurs. He said he had not detected hypertrophy or ECG ambnormalities. He then speculated on possible coronary artery disease and covid. I thought its was grossly unprofessional to reveal facts about CE's medical examinations. Why he then speculated about coronary artery disease (acute myocardial infarction preceded by chest pain) is beyond me given that the condition is unheard of in young fit athletes. It is possible but too unlikely to warrant any meaningful consideration. It's on a par with 'shot from a grassy knoll'. All the explanations I have mentioned on this thread are considered in this freely available article.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa1510687

As for Covid; alarm bells went when I heard this doc on the radio said that. There has been a phenomenon in science publishing for certain types of 'medical researcher' to rush to press with articles (usually viewpoints with no data) on Covid, its effects and its treatments. There is a whole gang in Americal that have been promoting untested 'medicines' - all the ones promoted by Trump.....need I go on? Likewise, I sit on a mitigating circumstances panel here where I work and any student who mentions Covid gets their extension request automatically accepted, ill or not, evidence or no. Invoking Covid is, to me, rather like the invocation of patriotism - the last refuge of someone with nothing to offer. I wasn't impressed.

Anyway . . . . I really shouldn't let the wittering of fools annoy me so much :facepalm: Unfortunately, sometimes they are impossible to ignore....

Dr Sharma just been on Good Morning Britain. He did mention Covid again or the possibly of some other viral infection causing inflamation or scarring.

He didn't totally rule out him playing again but stated that he wouldn't be permitted to in Italy where he currently plays.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Dr Sharma just been on Good Morning Britain. He did mention Covid again or the possibly of some other viral infection causing inflamation or scarring.

He didn't totally rule out him playing again but stated that he wouldn't be permitted to in Italy where he currently plays.

If he's right that there is no hypertrophy, then myocarditis (inflammation due to an infection) is possible.

I was surprised to learn that Daley Blind has myocarditis (inflammation of the heart) and an implantable defibrillator fitted. So there is some hope yet that CE may play again, depending on the aetiology.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If he's right that there is no hypertrophy, then myocarditis (inflammation due to an infection) is possible.

I was surprised to learn that Daley Blind has myocarditis (inflammation of the heart) and an implantable defibrillator fitted. So there is some hope yet that CE may play again, depending on the aetiology.

Out of interest, what is the difference between myocarditis and pericarditis (is it that one manifests in the heart itself, and one in the surrounding muscle?). I suffered an attack of the latter, in my early 20s, and it was an horrific experience (that felt much more serious as it all played out, than it seemed to be treated as, a week later when things had calmed down).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Out of interest, what is the difference between myocarditis and pericarditis (is it that one manifests in the heart itself, and one in the surrounding muscle?). I suffered an attack of the latter, in my early 20s, and it was an horrific experience (that felt much more serious as it all played out, than it seemed to be treated as, a week later when things had calmed down).

Myocarditis is an infection of the heart muscle (the heart, as we know it). Pericarditis is an infection of the pericardium, which is a membrane bag in which the heart sits, that supposedly offers the heart protection from infection, and keeping the heart in a nice orientation in the chest (having a pump flopping about whilly nilly would reduce its efficiency).

Sorry to hear about your experience. On the plus side your heart itself should be unscathed and, by the sound of it, there has been no recurrence or long term effect.

:thumbsup:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Myocarditis is an infection of the heart muscle (the heart, as we know it). Pericarditis is an infection of the pericardium, which is a membrane bag in which the heart sits, that supposedly offers the heart protection from infection, and keeping the heart in a nice orientation in the chest (having a pump flopping about whilly nilly would reduce its efficiency).

Sorry to hear about your experience. On the plus side your heart itself should be unscathed and, by the sound of it, there has been no recurrence or long term effect.

Cheers. Absolutely - all good since. Seemingly a one-off viral infection, albeit one that manifested all the symptoms of a heart attack. Looking at poor Mrs Eriksen on the TV the other night, actually brought it home how worried my wife must have been, and I felt a bit (irrationally) guilty for that.

I was actually feeling right as rain about 48 hours later, but was made to stay in hospital for about 5 days, until the results of an angiogram confirmed what they had by that stage worked out.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Cheers. Absolutely - all good since. Seemingly a one-off viral infection, albeit one that manifested all the symptoms of a heart attack. Looking at poor Mrs Eriksen on the TV the other night, actually brought it home how worried my wife must have been, and I felt a bit (irrationally) guilty for that.

I was actually feeling right as rain about 48 hours later, but was made to stay in hospital for about 5 days, until the results of an angiogram confirmed what they had by that stage worked out.

Is it you who once posted a photo of his garage which evidenced that you were active in a multitude of different sports?

I cant remember what the thread was about I just remember the photo and all the different sporting paraphenalia, at least ten different sports I seem to remember. If it is you, you obviously made a very good recovery.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Sharma was they guy my consultant sent my ECG results to for another opinion - I only remember because we were discussing it in the context of running and he told me he's apparently the 'official cardiologist of the London Marathon' (presumably has a hoodie displaying the words) or something (Med Director probably).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Mods can delete &/or edit posts. The ‘reply with quote’ functionality makes it a real PITA to erase all record of a post (even if one were so inclined to do so) as one has to delete the OP and then manually edit every reply that quotes it (deleting the OP content while leaving the reply). This then means that the reply is decontextualised.

As for the including the functionality for a user to delete their posts, I’d comment as follows - again speaking personally:

1. Users already have the ability to edit their own posts for a period of time (10-15 minutes, I think) after making any post. This allows time to correct typos and even to ‘delete’ the content entirely by editing out the text and replacing it with, say, an ellipsis if the poster thought ‘hang on, I’m not convinced I should have posted that’.

2. Any ability to delete a post after the 10-15 minute window has elapsed would clearly not extend to the ability to delete/edit others’ posts quoting the OP. In many cases where the OP is highly provocative, a reply quoting it appears very quickly (sometimes within seconds), making a user’s ability to subsequently delete their content somewhat redundant.

Given these comments, I’d also add that, for me, I’d rather have a situation that encouraged people to think about what they intend to post before pressing ‘send’ than one where they have a (highly ineffective) way of withdrawing the comment later.

NSC is often compared to a virtual home pub. You can’t unsay something in a pub, why should you be able to here. As in a pub, if a poster apologises for saying something they wish they hadn’t, the vast majority of folk are gracious enough to accept the apology and move on.

TL;DR? I think the current system works ok.

As you say though, it’s [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]’s ball and therefore his rules.

Nice explanation, makes a lot of sense.

A couple of years ago I invested in a breathaliser kit that you plug into the USB port of your PC. You set your own alcohol limit, blow into it, and if you exceed your pre-set limit, you can't log on to your PC. Absolutely invaluable, as not only does it prevent me coming on here in a drunken emotional state in the small hours and posting all manner of gibberish, it also stops the alarming texts from Amazon the next day telling me that the erotic liquorice-laced thong I'd ordered yesterday has now been dispatched and cannot be cancelled.

Utterly priceless.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Is this a poor attempt at being funny?

Because its not.

Either way, I think you are a bloody idiot.

It was a satirical response to the OP (except for the serious comment about UEFA), which, in my opinion, is acceptable once Eriksen was safe and awake in hospital and his team had played the match (under duress). If you disagree, that's fine.
In answer to your comments: -
Yes, partially
I disagree
I disagree again.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sharma was they guy my consultant sent my ECG results to for another opinion - I only remember because we were discussing it in the context of running and he told me he's apparently the 'official cardiologist of the London Marathon' (presumably has a hoodie displaying the words) or something (Med Director probably).

I would imagine he'd have no trouble interpreting an ECG. With twelve leads, basic vector reading skills (this is all deeply formalized) and a decent specialist training any electrophysiologist making an error would be for the high jump.

Call me harsh but this bloke does seem to like the sound of his own voice on national radio, telly and whatnot, a bit though, isn't it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here