Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Wood

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
In my opinion, Chris Wood is one of the worst strikers I have ever seen pull on the blue and white stripes and I include the class of the Gillingham years in that. He is totally ineffective in every department. Glenn played for two men tonight, because having Wood was effectively like being down to nine.

you are always right complete todger

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Astonishing. I thought he was excellent tonight. He is such a handful for defenders it means they have to double up on him and he often still comes out on top. When he doesn't he's often winning us free kicks as they try to deal with. When he gets the ball down he played some excellent balls to link up play. Showed good know how and movement on the pitch. He was a massive factor in us getting a result tonight. We kept a forward presence which allowed Murray to drop into the hole Bennett usually occupies. No way would Barnes have been able to do either of those roles as well as Murray/Wood did tonight.

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
agreed i hated him! offside every time and dosent care, honestly happy to see the back off him, barnes needs more games hes sooo good!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Very slow but holds the ball up well. Not that impressed so far tbh. There is a bit of a Gatting about him imo.

Sep 1, 2010
In my opinion, Chris Wood is one of the worst strikers I have ever seen pull on the blue and white stripes and I include the class of the Gillingham years in that. He is totally ineffective in every department. Glenn played for two men tonight, because having Wood was effectively like being down to nine.

Is there ever a moment in your life you are not gonna say something deliberately controversial just to get a reaction, you are a c***

Last edited:

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I'd rather see Sandaza starting than this guy. And that's not me being critical of Sandaza, I think he's a good player

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Astonishing. I thought he was excellent tonight. He is such a handful for defenders it means they have to double up on him and he often still comes out on top. When he doesn't he's often winning us free kicks as they try to deal with. When he gets the ball down he played some excellent balls to link up play. Showed good know how and movement on the pitch. He was a massive factor in us getting a result tonight. We kept a forward presence which allowed Murray to drop into the hole Bennett usually occupies. No way would Barnes have been able to do either of those roles as well as Murray/Wood did tonight.

I agree with that. And as my son pointed out - off the ball he finds space and tells the midfield where he wants it.

And in the warm-ups - he showed he can hit the ball and find the target. Against Huddersfield I was not impressed - but last night he was excellent.

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
Lumbering, pedestrian and cant jump - Get rid!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I can only assume wood came here to give barnes and murray a rest at a time when a lot of games were coming thick and fast. I would certainly hope that we now return to the barnes murray combo that got us top in the first place

PrestGull

Oct 18, 2003
Did his bit tonight, held the ball up well and won lots in the air...has to be the best player I've seen at chesting the ball, especially one chest that he turned into the path of Murray.

Seemed to run out of gas by the end, but had a good game.

Sorry to disagree with you here, I know he is only a young lad but I have not seen enough out of him to see what he adds to our team. When you down to 10 men you want the first line to chase the ball down a bit like Murray did when he went up there, Woods did not do this. He does show the odd good touch and header but his ratio to wasted ball is not the most positive. In Barnes we have a better forward, all this said without knowing what the transfer window brings, if any!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Spot on, Wood was totally ineffective last night still at least it gave Glen a chance to man up for once and work twice as hard.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
agreed i hated him! offside every time and dosent care, honestly happy to see the back off him, barnes needs more games hes sooo good!

He was caught offside once last night so you are hard to please.

As for Wood, I cannot believe the reaction from most people on here. I had thought he looked poor before last night but thought he had a good game against Charlton, certainly doesn't deserve all the criticism he is getting. Murray played fantastically but what you have to ask is would he have played so well as the main target man. Wood being alongside him takes some of the pressure off him as the main outlet and I thought they were showing signs of being a good partnership last night.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

As always, taking your point too far which makes it ridiculous. How you can even consider comparing Wood to the likes of Hilton and Mahoney-Johnson is beyond me. He is not brilliant but anyone can see he is clearly a lot better than them.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

thank you, I thought I was going a bit mental actually thinking he did alright until I read that. Some of the comments are as per usual ridiculous. Oh and he was caught off side once and that was debatable.

Last edited:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Did well last night, was a big lump up top , held it up well , caused a nuisance for Charltons defence and relieved pressure for us when needed. Strangely looks a better player with his back to goal which is a bit odd.

Worth keeping if we bring in no one else, otherwise he is replaceable !

edit played similar to Hudds and we lost a bit both times he has gone off. He was knackered last night though

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Funny how opinions differ on this, I thought he was really poor last night - by some distance the weakest Albion player. The number of times the ball was played into him and he singularly failed to hold it up and relieve the pressure. I can remember one decent chest off, but apart from that.......and he's painfully slow and does very little to put defenders under pressure.

He still looks short of match fitness, so perhaps we should be generous and say that we've yet to see the best of him. But for Saturday, Barnes or Sandaza please.

mikes smalls

Dec 13, 2006
Isleworth
I think Gus likes Wood because he offers another big target to hit upfront. Now teams are pressing us in our own half it is essential our front two hold the ball up.
To use a cliche I thought he had good feet for a big man. Worringly he lost a race with Docherty. He obviously needs games to get fit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here