Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Wood

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
This is true, as it will only serve to knock the confidence of Ashley or Fran, and if brought straight back in January, they could think of themselves as a last resort or some other such type, and not play as well as they would, if say, they were first on the team sheet. Saying this, it might make them want to play better to force their way into the team...

If we do sign him then Barnes and Fran would have to fight for their place, no problems there. But if he is only here for one short spell I don't see the benefit to BHAFC of him starting ahead of our contracted players as he isn't (currently) much better than what we have in my opinion. Short term loans should be to cover injury problems, or is the player is much much better quality than what we have i.e. KLL.

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
I definitely see where you are coming from, and the only reason I can see of Gus playing Wood from the start every game is either that we might sign him in January or that he has promised his old mate at West Brom he will :laugh:

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
How about now?

Nope. You can hardly knock a man who's scored a brace today, but opinions do seem to differ considerably on this guy. I always trust Gus to make the right call, but I would have taken off Wood today rather than Murray who contributed far more with his all round game. Wood just seems very weak in the air for a guy of his size and totally failed to hold the ball up and relieve the pressure in the 2nd half.

Still, his stats are good, GP likes him, so fair enough.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I thought murray looked to be hobbling a bit in the second half...maybe that is why they took him off. I was very surprised when Noone went off as I thought we lost our shape when he went off, maybe he is not match fit yet?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought murray looked to be hobbling a bit in the second half...maybe that is why they took him off. I was very surprised when Noone went off as I thought we lost our shape when he went off, maybe he is not match fit yet?

That was my opinion also as we seemed to lose our outlet once Noone went off and I thinkl Gus realised he had made a mistake. I think that it is no coincidence that Murray is playing so well with Wood taking a lot of weight off of him and providing a foil for Murray and Sparrow to get into goal scoring positions.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I think that Wood has been our player of 2011 (If you can have one after 4 games!)

He looked class in both the Oriant and Pompey games.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

Agree he looked to be hobbling. I think Gus admitted on the radio that the change - with the intentiuon that we keep the ball - unsettled the side. Personally delighted that we had to fight in the second half - there are things for Gus to work on and it will knock any complacency out of the team.

Nope. You can hardly knock a man who's scored a brace today, but opinions do seem to differ considerably on this guy. I always trust Gus to make the right call, but I would have taken off Wood today rather than Murray who contributed far more with his all round game. Wood just seems very weak in the air for a guy of his size and totally failed to hold the ball up and relieve the pressure in the 2nd half.

Still, his stats are good, GP likes him, so fair enough.

And lets not forget...he's 18 years old.....18!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I thought he had a class game but should have gone of instead of Murray at the time (although since murray was injured a bit then don't listen to me). He looked tired. But he's 19, scored today and has had some really class games this year. Sign him up IMO.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
He was excellent today and seems to be getting better every game, I really rate him. I think because he is so big people forget how young he is aswell.

I think he is only going to get better as the season goes on and he plays more games. In fact, last month I thought we needed to sign a striker to go up but I dont now we've got Wood till the end of the season. I really hope we can sign him permanently in the summer.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Must admit I was not too impressed with Wood at first but he really has upped the ante and looks a good loan.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I thought he was a bit schizophrenic today. He wasted some easy chances, almost seemed like the way he slid in for his second was going to stop the ball going in instead of ensuring it did, but he also scored a much harder chance than any he missed, and had a largely good all-round performance (other than the misses)

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
I missed Bristol Rovers at home but at Southampton Wood was absolutely bollocks. He reminded be of Damian Hilton. Yesterday he was marginally better, but hardly what I would describe as competent. Get him f***ed off asap I say, he makes Barnes look like Maradona.

You're a dab hand with a metaphorical shovel aren't you. I'd have thought you'd have learnt to give it time before writing people off.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Honestly, that bloody Wood! He was toilet again today wasn't he? Get rid of him Gus, he's NEVER gonna make the grade. In fact, the kid's a total liability!! :dunce:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here