Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Wood is not good enough for the Championship....

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Barnes Wood and Murray are good enough for the Championship imo-maybe a "case of "these are not the droid's we are looking for"

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
All this talk about Barnes & Wood looking good when alongside Muzza, is a load of b------s, they need to be up to it when Muzza is missing, and I am afraid they are not. In defence of Barnes I would say he is the better prospect, but Wood for me is a no no. A replacement is needed who can take over from Muzza and lead the front line by example.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I think we shall see at least 2 new strikers signing this summer make that 3 if Murray ups and walks.Barnes will be kept for sure.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Wood has contributed his fair share this season. He's a REALLY young lad and may well come on. If he becomes available at a reasonable price would be well worth a punt as a squad player. IMHO like.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Wood started of poorly for us, he looked well of the pace and lacking sharpness. With a few games under his belt particularly when we were playing 4-3-3 he looked a very useful player, excellent hold up play and a few goals as well.

Since he went off on International duty he hasn't looked the same player. Not sure why? But I wouldn't write him of this early in his career. I still think he will become a decent Championship player but not with us. He will probably have to go back on loan next year to another league one club and then hope his form moves him on to the Championship the year after.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Wood has made a reasonable contribution but he was poor today and, while I would love to be proved wrong, I really can't see him cutting it in the Championship. Barnes, on the other hand, has the knack of scoring at the right time. Aside from his goal today it was a somewhat mixed performance but I could see him making a decent fist of championship football.

Even if Murray stays, we need 1 more championship quality striker, 2 more if he goes.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Here we are, runaway champions and yet there seem to be plenty of posters who just want to spend time and effort slagging off some of those very players that made it happen. Some of you are never happy unless your miserable!

I would like the luxury of 5 strikers next season who could do a job for us in the league/cups.

Murray - either a first/second choice
Barnes - a third choice
Wood or Sandaza - a fifth choice

Therefore I think we need someone at least/better than Murray
A 4th choice forward
Either Wood or Sandaza to go

Holroyd to sling his hook to Blue Sq/lower Div 2 side
Norwegian keep if cheap otherwise loan out

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I think I agree with the voxpop of this thread. That Norwegian kiddie looks like he'll be taking up the spare striker role next season.

I don't think Wood is at the moment good enough for the Championship; as others have said he's generally looked like a run-of-the-mill League One striker. If he was our player it'd be different, but I don't think there's any point us getting him in on loan. It's worth remembering that he's only 19; at his age Barnes was playing in the Conference for Salisbury/Eastbourne, and Murray was playing for Workington, so it's quite possible that in due time he'll become a good player, he's just not up to it at this moment in time (IMO, of course).

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I think I agree with the voxpop of this thread. That Norwegian kiddie looks like he'll be taking up the spare striker role next season.
But he doesn't get on the bench ahead of Hart now?
Wood hasn't been great lately, and he wasn't great when he first came here :lol:
But he had a spell of good form in January/February time.
I wouldn't mind him here next season but only as 4th choice.

WICKBHA

Mar 29, 2011
1st touch is shite,is not 100% into any challenge,loses posseion more often than keeping, not good enough in my opinion,think we will need to find 3 strikers next season.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Here we are, runaway champions and yet there seem to be plenty of posters who just want to spend time and effort slagging off some of those very players that made it happen. Some of you are never happy unless your miserable!

We plainly need more quality next season, that is a fact. You get overtaken if you stand still, and whilst we have had a brilliant season, you should always be looking to improve. We should be looking for better players than Wood if we want to do well next season.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
But he doesn't get on the bench ahead of Hart now?

Surely because Gus is carefully nurturing him? He said as much and that our Norwegian Wood would be in the first team next season. I think I'd prefer San.....DAZA (copyright Paul Samrah) as 4th choice after Barnes, Murray, Adgestein or even another striker coming in and San....DAZA 5th choice.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Both Wood & Barnes are young and will develop. The difference between the 2 is that:

Barnes is relatively mobile and can accelerate, turn, hold the ball up, can spring when he jumps for the ball, and provides a good partner for Murray in League 1, not necessarily the Championship

Wood is slow, poor first touch, is about as effective as Crouch at getting off the ground, no amount of coaching will change that, has scored goals mostly when the team have been playing well and hasn't been an effective partner for Murray in League 1, let alone the Championship

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Showed exactly why he isn't good enough right at the end of the match , a Championship class player would have planted the header into the back of the net. Gus knows that if Muzza leaves he only has one decent striker on the books.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here