Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Iwelumo to sign today... (He has now signed - official)

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Chris Iwelumo to sign today...

According to Southerm FM...

So we can rule him out then? :jester:

I wouldn't be too unhappy if it's true though.

Stokes top scorer in the year they went up from the 2nd with us.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Don't know much about him but here's what others think

Current Club: Stoke City, but currently at York City on loan.

What I thought of him during his time with Saints: The big man scored on his debut against Dumbarton, and of the three goals I remember he scored, the result was already not in doubt. Looked a good player, before leaving on a Bosman.

What a Stoke fan thinks of him: Chris Iwelumo does indeed play for Stoke City. Can't tell you much about him though as he only made about three substitute appearances for us last season and each of these was only about two or three minutes each. Did score a splendid goal for our reserves against Tranmere though.

What a York fan thinks of him: He started off badly, going six games without scoring, but he's scored twice in his last three. The last one was a superb solo effort to win the game at Macclesfield. It's hard to judge him at this stage because he could turn out well or badly. He's being used as a target man for our smaller forwards like Alex Mathie and David McNiven to feed off. So he gets a lot of work without much recognition. He works very hard and is willing to work back to his own box. He hasn't won over the fans yet.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Yep - it's him

SCR said the same thing this morningg.

6ft 4in tall - 25 years old - fits the profile of the sort of player we need.

If McGhee does sign him, who will he get on loan ? - another forward ?

I'd still go for a loan of someone like Adebola, then we would have some great competition upfront for the final run in.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He scored against us with a header in that televised Stoke game a couple of years back.

I think he's a bit of a cult figure up there. Big, bustling, shit, scores the odd goal - you know the sort of thing.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Have been on to the Oatcake (Stoke message board). They all seem to think he is a good player, has scored a hatful of goals for the reserves this season, and will do an excellent job at Div 2 level.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I'd love to know how we're going to find a song for him :jester:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Let's just hope it's not 'You're shit and you know you are' !

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
hmm... would have rather had Greenacre, but I suppose he's ok, seem to remember he's quite a handful, with a slightly better touch than Benjamin, have to wait and see how he links up with Leon

Lush

Mods' Pet
From Potters Underground, last season...

Name : Chris Iwelumo
Squad Number : 15
Position : Striker
Nationality : Scottish
International Caps : 0
Date of Birth : 01/08/78
Height : 6'04"
Weight : 13.00
Date Signed : 29/02/00

Previous Clubs : St Mirren, Aarhus, York City (loan), Cheltenham Town (loan)

Chris Iwelumo was signed shortly before Bjarni Gudjonsson, but unlike Bjarni, Chris had to bide his time for his first start and his first goal for the Potters. During his first two seasons at the Britannia Stadium, the big Scot only managed to appear 7 times, all as a substitute, but managed to score two goals, one in the 5-1 thumping of York in the Worthington Cup, and his first league goal in the 3-2 victory over Milwall, scoring a last minute header to secure the points for Stoke.

Shortly after the Milwall game, Chris was loaned out to York City, where he managed to score two goals, and on his return was loaned to Cheltenham Town, then managed by Steve Cotterill. At Cheltenham he only made a handful of appearances, but still managed to get on the score sheet once.

Iwelumo spent a lot of his pre-season before the 01/02 campaign in his own personal training, and it showed. Chris looked as though he had a new dimension to his game, and good early season appearances and goals in the reserves, most notably two in the 3-1 victory against Shrewsbury Town.

The sale of Peter Thorne freed up an attacking position, and saw Chris making a few substitute appearances. He grabbed his first goal of the season in the 3-2 defeat to Blackpool in the LDV Vans Trophy, but this no where near made such an impact as his equalising goal against Potteries neighbours Port Vale, where Chris literally stepped off the bench and scored to end the game 1-1.

Chris kept his good form until Christmas, and then had to wait until the end of February to get back on the score sheet, hitting 2 against Bury as the Shakers went down 4-0. He then followed up with another in the 3-1 home victory to Brighton, before ending his scoring against Swindon Town after coming off the bench during the 2-0 victory. Chris rounded his campaign off as the top scorer with 12 goals in all competitions to his name.

Despite suffering with a couple of minor injury problems Chris once again became the clubs leading scorer in our first season back in division netting 7 goals. The most memorable coming against Wigan where he hit a powerful volley to cap off an excellent move that he started himself.

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
Let's hope that he is as an effective target man as Benji proved to be

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
He's just come down from the city of Stoke
Plays football, he's a big strong bloke
Rumour is that he fancies Poke
Iwelumo where's yer trousers

(to the tune of Donald where's yer trousers) :jester:

Ok I'm going........

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
Just spoke to a Stoke fan here - he's a bit disappointed that he's (possibly) going. His take was that he was a popular player who always tried hard, but was never much of a consistent goal scorer.

Looks pretty good to me - and Im quite chuffed at the prospect at actually signing someone instead of borrowing them...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here