Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chris Hughton: 'It’s a good feeling to be the manager of a big club'

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Dunno about that. Maybe in England, but if you are below 50 and living elsewhere in the world... not sure a lot would have them on their list. It all depends on the criterias though. Are they a top 10 club counted in nice trophys etc? Most likely. Top 10 in being "well-known" etc? More questionable.

Probably varies from country to country but in Sweden (and possibly Scandinavia) I would say these are the teams with most supporters:

1. Liverpool
2. Manchester United
3. Arsenal
4. Chelsea
5. Manchester City
6. Aston Villa
7. Tottenham
8. Everton
9. Leeds
10. Wolverhampton

But then again.. "global support" is just one of many criterias you could use to decide the biggest clubs.

Reading your post hurt my eyes. The singular of criteria is criterion. The plural of criterion is criteria. Criterias is a made up word. Don't know what else you wrote!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I wonder if Newcastle have a thread on this.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Villa are not bigger than Spurs... Spurs have underachieved ......though.

Number of seasons in top flight

Villa 106 ( 2nd in all time list )
Tottenham 81 ( 10th )

League Titles ( top division )

Villa 7
Tott 2

FA Cups

Villa 7
Tott 8

League Cups

Villa 5
Tott 4

European Cups

Villa 1
Tott 0

Other European Trophies

Villa 2
Tott 3

Record Attendance

Villa 76588
Tott 75038

So how much bigger than Villa are the mighty Spurs?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
European Cup used to mean something. The very pinnacle of European success. Forest won it TWICE. The UK Clash Of Titans in Europe was when Celtic met Leeds over two legs in the semi-final of the European Cup in 1970. Two Tribes at the height of their powers. Attendances yet to be matched to this day

Second leg at Celtic Park.......just the........136,505
( 4500 from Leeds )
Leeds put the prices up for the first leg at Elland Road and didn't sell out ( 46381 ) They had a bigger crowd in the quarter final ( 48775 ).
182,886 for a two legged semi final....!!!

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I wonder if Newcastle have a thread on this.

Probably....as 76% of their history has been played in the top flight as opposed to Forest ( 47% ) League winners x 4 to Forest's x 1....FA Cup winners x 6 to Forest's x 1...they'll accept Forest surpass them in Europe but not domestically.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Do you not think if our ground held 40k we wouldn't get that most weeks?

Norwich are very good at getting fans in from all over the county and that is something we could still learn from despite our advances on that front in recent years. It's a fine city as is Brighton. I think they are a well run club with a good support I just think we are too...

No.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
Do you not think if our ground held 40k we wouldn't get that most weeks?

Norwich are very good at getting fans in from all over the county and that is something we could still learn from despite our advances on that front in recent years. It's a fine city as is Brighton. I think they are a well run club with a good support I just think we are too...

I think Norwich's history shames us and emphasises how much we as a club underachieved over the years. We should have spent at least as long in the top division as they have, but the gross misdirection of the club in the 1990s scuppered us.

Your point about Norwich getting in fans from their region is a decent one (and they have the advantage over us of not having any competition while we are within much easier reach of London), but I'd be very surprised if even 50 percent of our support is from within Brighton & Hove. Surely Littlehampton, Worthing, Horsham, Mid-Sussex, Eastbourne etc together contribute massively to our crowds.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Number of seasons in top flight

Villa 106 ( 2nd in all time list )
Tottenham 81 ( 10th )

League Titles ( top division )

Villa 7
Tott 2

FA Cups

Villa 7
Tott 8

League Cups

Villa 5
Tott 4

European Cups

Villa 1
Tott 0

Other European Trophies

Villa 2
Tott 3

Record Attendance

Villa 76588
Tott 75038

So how much bigger than Villa are the mighty Spurs?

Ok maybe they’re not then.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Good start Chris. :clap:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Good win for my Championship team. Forest was definitely at their levels.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Delighted for Hughton - and he deserves it.

General reaction from Forest fans seems to be that their team were a lot more solid and composed than in recent matches.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here