Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chris Hughton: 'It’s a good feeling to be the manager of a big club'

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
He could do with taking over at a 'Big Fish, Small Pond' club. One with a good chance of being near, or at, the top of the table. Just something to get his mojo back.

Maybe he is thinking that this will be his last job in football, who knows? After all he is 63, closing in on his OAP, and his carpet slippers might be looking ever more attractive.

Nothing lasts forever.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Big club, bad choice by CH. We all know he is an excellent Championship manager but without the players willing to run through brick walls and buy into his system he is fecked, especially as Forest don't seem to have many decent players anyway. Love him to turn it around but patience is not a virtue of the Forest owner is it?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I felt so sorry for him as his team were booed off at half time - the look on his face said it all....Forest was a bad choice.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Never in a million years would I want Chris to fail. He got us to the promised land and would love to see him lead out forest at the amex and get the appreciation he deserved from us. I hope he turns it round at Forest but fear his days are numbered on current form!

Far from wanting him to fail, I still think there's 2 or 3% of Albion fans who'd actually want Forest to beat us if we played them in the cup.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Far from wanting him to fail, I still think there's 2 or 3% of Albion fans who'd actually want Forest to beat us if we played them in the cup.
Not gonna lie, I’d probably be one of them... :moo:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Big club, bad choice by CH. We all know he is an excellent Championship manager but without the players willing to run through brick walls and buy into his system he is fecked, especially as Forest don't seem to have many decent players anyway. Love him to turn it around but patience is not a virtue of the Forest owner is it?

All too easy to say that it was a bad choice with the benefit of hindsight. I don't recall anyone saying that on here when he was appointed!

People seem quck to forget that all wasn't well on the pitch when he took over at the Albion either, after the ill fated Hyppia regime. The big difference is though that Tony Bloom gave him plenty of time to turn things around, whereas l don't think he will have that luxury at Forest.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
The squad he has is terrible, Only Samba the keeper has any real class about him. Garner the lad they had from United on loan was there only real shining light last season.

Looks to me as Hughton doesn't seem to think he has the players that's why hes playing so defensive trying to grind out wins. However it really doesn't look like the team he has are putting in any sort of a shift at all.

Days are numbered for the Albion legend for sure.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
All too easy to say that it was a bad choice with the benefit of hindsight. I don't recall anyone saying that on here when he was appointed!

People seem quck to forget that all wasn't well on the pitch when he took over at the Albion either, after the ill fated Hyppia regime. The big difference is though that Tony Bloom gave him plenty of time to turn things around, whereas l don't think he will have that luxury at Forest.

He didn’t really need any patience from Tony, as he saved us in that first season and almost took us up the next. It got better from there.
Imo the big difference is quality of players. He inherited some good ones at Brighton, despite the poor results under hyppia.
There’s not much quality at forest atm, just a lot of deadwood and some talented kids who aren’t quite ready yet.
I fear he is doomed.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

TB gave him the rest of the season and it was grim but effective. We did have some decent players and no I didn’t suggest it was a bad move at the time but then I have no insight into players at Forest, I don’t watch them, I assume CH did before he signed so he should have known if they had enough, he did get them up the table though didn’t he? If players have been let go/sold with no quality incoming he’s fecked. The Championship is a really tough division, as we found out under Hyypia, we’d always had a decent squad until that season if I’m not wrong.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Can someone remind me why we want Hughton to fail at Forest or in any other job he happens to get after taking us to the top division?

Is it just the fact he dared to talk Forest up as a "big club" when he took over there or is it the same old weird satisfaction that some on here seem to get from former players/managers failing when they leave the Albion?

Hughton didn't quit on us, he was sacked. We haven't lived to regret that decision so why all the ill feeling towards someone I still regard as a club legend.

Eh?

I doubt there is a single Albion fan who wants Hughton to fail. And as for "all the ill feeling" - you're imagining stuff that simply isn't there (at least as far as this thread is concerned).

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I have no insight into players at Forest, I don’t watch them, I assume CH did before he signed so he should have known if they had enough, he did get them up the table though didn’t he? If players have been let go/sold with no quality incoming he’s fecked. The Championship is a really tough division, as we found out under Hyypia, we’d always had a decent squad until that season if I’m not wrong.

Forest had a very bloated squad (33-34 players) and a lot of them on big wages - I suspect that Hughton was told when the cull would happen in the summer the money would be available for other players - but that hasn't happened. Ten senior and big wage players left and only one has come in (a goalie). Hughton knows the Championship very well and has a lot of success there (Newcastle, Birmingham, Brighton) - but you have to have the players. PL clubs are now after his two best players - Worrall and Johnson - and if they are sold then Forest fans have a very long season ahead of them (and Hughton probably a very short tenure because the owner is fickle). No matter how good a manager you are there is nothing you can do if you haven't got the players. As the saying goes - all managerial careers end in failure.

As I said before - here is hoping he succeeds - but I do want to see him as Ireland manager before he retires - I think he could make an impact with the squad Ireland has and the players that are starting to come through.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Given how we were told Hughton was in no rush for a job, would only take the right project etc - turning up at Forest seemed very odd given how much of a basket case club they are.
Wish him all the best though but I don’t think he’ll be there much longer given he’s had a full season of games there and the record is poor

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The squad he has is terrible, Only Samba the keeper has any real class about him. Garner the lad they had from United on loan was there only real shining light last season.

Looks to me as Hughton doesn't seem to think he has the players that's why hes playing so defensive trying to grind out wins. However it really doesn't look like the team he has are putting in any sort of a shift at all.

Days are numbered for the Albion legend for sure.

Really?

Most of the goals they concede seem to be down to poor technique by Samba.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here