Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

chris holdroydnew striker

RSBLUEANDWHITEARMY

Aug 5, 2009
North Stand
I was hoping we would pick up some United players but had not given Cambridge much thought,surely we can do better.

Look at Charlie Austin for Swindon
He came from lower than the Conference and has scored 8 in 8 for them and is being looked at by Championship clubs. Its worth the gamble IMO

Philcounty

Feb 25, 2009
Congleton
Liam Dickinson, Oli Johnson, Ashley Williams and Anthony Pilkington were all non-league players that Stockport County picked up and sold on for a decent amount.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
SO far every rumour on here has not turned into a transfer into the club, and the ones we have got in were never rumoured before they arrived. Is this going to be the exception?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
apparently Poyet is going to watch him in Cambridge's FA Trophy game against Eastbourne tonight.

Depending where you sit in the argument best hope he either has a great game or an absolute stinker :laugh:

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
apparently Poyet is going to watch him in Cambridge's FA Trophy game against Eastbourne tonight.

Depending where you sit in the argument best hope he either has a great game or an absolute stinker :laugh:

He will have "to add something new to the squad" Would be great to get someone from non-league and see them do well

bha25

IN GUS WE TRUST !
Jan 9, 2010
Copthorne
Freddie Eastwood came from non league i believe.

Bloom wants us to be in the championship by the time Falmer is completed.Do we have the time to take gambles or ones for the future? Hard call for the chairman i feel.

Yea played for Grays I think not sure the so did Aaron Mclean

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Freddie Eastwood came from non league i believe.

Bloom wants us to be in the championship by the time Falmer is completed.Do we have the time to take gambles or ones for the future? Hard call for the chairman i feel.

In my opinion, as we are unlikey to be able to afford any established players to "bring on" and don't have much of a youth set-up ourselves, I think that buying non-league players, developing them, and moving them on for a profit is the best chance of us making much money out of football as a club for the foreseeable future.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
When's Darragh Ryan going to make his debut for Stevenage? Hope he does well there.

Looks as if he will start tonight in place of the suspended Scott Laird [2 matches for 10 yellows] & could, therefore, retain his place against Klattering on Saturday.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
As I live in Cambridge, I am off to watch the match tonight to have another look at Holroyd. Haven't seen him play for a few weeks.

let us know if you spot Poyet :lolol:
Holroyd has reportedly "lost interest" of late because he thinks he will be on his way but if GP is there tonight he will have to pull his finger out a.nd show what he can do

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Quite interested about this one. Lots of aforementioned names have made the step up brilliantly, most recently Charlie Austin and Morison at Millwall. In other positions, I would normally be disappointed with recruiting from the non-league clubs, but with strikers you never know. Many have gone on to great things.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
We have a couple of seasons before the new stadium is available we dont have the time to see whether a non-leager eventually makes the grade,we have to bring in a number of players with at least Championship league experience otherwise Falmer is going to be a mill stone round our necks and we could be playing Eastbourne.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I wish someone would introduce Gus Poyet to George Barker. ???

Sod Holroyd, let's give our youth team players a chance rather than signing yet ANOTHER player.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
What makes you think he is ready to be thrown in? Have you seen him play?

Holdroyd can be followed here tonight...

Cambridge United | News | Breaking News | Breaking News | United v Eastbourne, live

I've seen neither Barker nor Holroyd, but I'd rather we gave the youth team a chance rather than just sign yet another player. I would prefer that, personally. I'm sure Holroyd is a good player and all that, Gus wouldn't be interested if he wasn't, but I'd like to see more local players coming through again.

People in this thread have mentioned Charlie Austin, well, he used to be in the youth system at Reading and spent some time with Swindon before his move in the summer, he's the local boy who failed at first, kept trying (became a brick layer!) and then got the chance in the first team after all, and the boy done good.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
What type of striker is he? Does he fit into Poyet's plans?

I have a feeling Barker is either a first or second year scholar. Austin is not a great example as he has already done that and found himself in non-league football. He has more competitive football under his belt than Barker, as does Holroyd.

Let's wait and see what happens before getting too worked up about it.

Ps I am struggling to remember the last time we produced a decent forward. Gatting, McPhee and Robinson were prolific in the youth and reserves but never made the step up.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Sounds like he's doing well tonight, everytime he has been mentioned he's doing something good, his pace definitely comes up a lot.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
What type of striker is he? Does he fit into Poyet's plans?

I have a feeling Barker is either a first or second year scholar. Austin is not a great example as he has already done that and found himself in non-league football. He has more competitive football under his belt than Barker, as does Holroyd.

Let's wait and see what happens before getting too worked up about it.

Ps I am struggling to remember the last time we produced a decent forward. Gatting, McPhee and Robinson were prolific in the youth and reserves but never made the step up.

I don't think Austin is a good example either, perhaps I didn't make that clear enough in my earlier post. I don't see the point in signing another striker at this stage, I think we'd be better to sign one in the summer when Poyet has decided whether to keep Forster for another year or not.

I would say Robinson was a decent forward, he did well for us in patches and had talent, but didn't play consistently well for us and not enough to keep himself in the first team. He's not doing much at Shrewsbury either though, which is a shame. Had he gone to Aldershot, he would probably have played more matches.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here