Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] China protests over Zero-Covid policy

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Arguably a lot of people in any debate come across as "smug and all knowing" when you don't agree with them, which could be normal consequence of people arguing from the standpoint of their thoughts and beliefs rather than taking the position of "I have no opinion and perspective of my own".
There are many people on here who have differing views and still they manage not to come across as smug and all knowing. Unlike you. Who comes across as tragically ill-informed with no clue as to how much you don’t know.
And you simply won’t shut up about how much you think you know 😂😂

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Well, who could possibly argue with an unspecified number over an unspecified time, caused by an unspecified "them" when comparing directly to China.

Which is why you've done just that.
You are not going to find exact numbers of how many China killed and caused human rights issues for either :shrug: So why would you say they've caused more deaths and suffering than the West?

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
You are not going to find exact numbers of how many China killed and caused human rights issues for either :shrug: So why would you say they've caused more deaths and suffering than the West?
Well I could start by looking up the population of China.
And then keep adding as more examples come to mind.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
There are many people on here who have differing views and still they manage not to come across as smug and all knowing. Unlike you. Who comes across as tragically ill-informed with no clue as to how much you don’t know.
And you simply won’t shut up about how much you think you know 😂😂
I agree with that, but you're absolutely one of the most smug and (believing yourself to be) all knowing people around here. Actually you are probably top one in that regard along with Solid at the back.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
EFB83E0E-E022-4A03-9884-5C752925D193.jpeg

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Well I could start by looking up the population of China and North Korea.
And then keep adding as more examples come to mind.
Right, I can look up the population of India, Indonesia and a couple of other countries where the west treated people like animals, and almost every country in Africa/South America, and then add more examples. Now, sure there's a lot of people in China but there's a lot of people in the countries we had a great time raping and pillaging as well.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Right, I can look up the population of India, Indonesia and a couple of other countries where the west treated people like animals, and almost every country in Africa/South America, and then add more examples. Now, sure there's a lot of people in China but there's a lot of people in the countries we had a great time raping and pillaging as well.
Conveniently for my argument, the population of India and other countries colonised by Britain was much smaller at the time than it is now.
Edit: I should probably be clear at this point, in case any normal people take issue with that (which would be entirely reasonable), that I stopped taking this conversation seriously about 3 pages ago.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I agree with that, but you're absolutely one of the most smug and (believing yourself to be) all knowing people around here. Actually you are probably top one in that regard along with Solid at the back.
😂😂👍

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Conveniently for my argument, the population of India and other countries colonised by Britain was much smaller at the time than it is now.
Edit: I should probably be clear at this point, in case any normal people take issue with that (which would be entirely reasonable), that I stopped taking this conversation seriously about 3 pages ago.
You took a conversation with Swansman seriously at all?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
So the idea that the Western track record of human rights is superior to Chinas is based on that we didn't manage to find enough people to oppress and torment?

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
So the idea that the Western track record of human rights is superior to Chinas is based on that we didn't manage to find enough people to oppress and torment?
No, it's based on the idea that I don't care about the people we oppressed and tormented.
You'll have to excuse me, I'm going to rewatch Starship Troopers for the 51st time.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I only just noticed your "link" (that isn't a link) in your signature and I thought it looked familiar. It was. It's a phrase used in Scottish Rite Freemasonry. Which seemed a bit odd........
I have no idea how to turn it into a link tbh. Not a techie.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

CHINA 2021​

“The human rights situation across China continued to deteriorate. Human rights lawyers and activists reported harassment and intimidation; unfair trials; arbitrary, incommunicado and lengthy detention; and torture and other ill-treatment for simply exercising their right to freedom of expression and other human rights. The government continued a campaign of political indoctrination, arbitrary mass detention, torture and forced cultural assimilation against Muslims living in Xinjiang. Thousands of Uyghur children were separated from their parents. The National Security Law for Hong Kong enabled human rights violations which were unprecedented since the establishment of the Special Administrative Region. There was limited progress in recognizing the rights of LGBTI people in Hong Kong”

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

For balance…​

UNITED KINGDOM 2021​

The government promised an inquiry into its handling of the Covid-19 pandemic and significantly cut a welfare benefit received by 6 million people. The rights of refugees and migrants were routinely violated. A new policing bill seriously endangered the rights to freedom of peaceful assembly and non-discrimination. A bill on judicial review and a review of the Human Rights Act caused concern. Certain areas of Northern Ireland still lacked adequate access to abortion. Accountability for past violations in Northern Ireland and for UK complicity in the US-led secret detention programme remained unrealized. A court decision blocking Julian Assange’s extradition to the USA was overturned on appeal. Detention conditions in Scotland fell below necessary standards.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
… so we should hold our tongues when it comes to human rights abuses in present day China because of atrocities that have been carried out by the West in the past? TBH this sound like Sheikh Mohammed calling us hypocrites and who would have us shut up about their government‘s human rights record because it ignores all Qatar has achieved and because we don’t use the same standards of culpability - what a brilliant excuse for inaction and stultifying argument for change.

Initially. And then immediately stopped around the time I was accused of being racist for caring about human rights abuses in other countries :lolol:
I can say what I like, he has me on ignore 😂

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I think I posted a link to this earlier 🙂

For the sake of those not wanting to do their own research:

Human Rights in China
just to reiterate!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here