Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Child Benefit Changes

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
How can something not being implemented till 2013 reduce spending now ?

okay - because what people will do is reign back spending now to either reduce debts or gain savings. It only needs 25% of future non recipients to do this to knock a hole in retail sales.

But how come if these cuts are a necessity now, will they not happen until 2013?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
okay - because what people will do is reign back spending now to either reduce debts or gain savings. It only needs 25% of future non recipients to do this to knock a hole in retail sales.

But how come if these cuts are a necessity now, will they not happen until 2013?

Good question and no idea as such

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
I will lose out on £134/month here myself and yes I will struggle financially until my mortgage finishes, but do agree that something has to be done to address the situation the country is currently in and so accept it. However any solution has to be fair which this isn't. As an example two earners in one household who earn say £45k and £10k = £55k will lose child benefit, while next door two earners both earning £40k each = £80k will keep it. How is that fair when they are already earning £25k more in the first place?

I was thinking the same thing, though I presume that if both parents are working then there would be the added cost of childcare to factor in??

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
It is aimed for 2013 for a reason: the world recession will have started to diminish,and the coalition will therefore say the cuts are no longer necessary because of its great works.This will be a part of the buy vote policy prior to the next election .And the world recovery will have absolutely bugger all to do with the "work" of the coalition any more than the recession itself was to do with the "work" of the previous government.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
But that something that has to be done needs to be open and fair. The cuts being proposed are driven not by necessity (the plan put forward by Darling has been proven already to have been working and viable) but by a wish to put forward a tory ideology. we'll see how this goes when all the announcements come out. The big pointer here is that these cuts wont come in until 2013. If they necessity led they would be brought in now.

this
and can someone tell me why whenever George Osbourne and his cronies speak about this and anything fiscal they automatically blame the Labour party, never ever mentions the Banks that the labour government bailed out(is he say that he would'nt have bailed them out)
IMHO the banks should have been nationalized when this trouble started they obviously can't run themselves and are now in the process of making back all THEY lost , but do we see any of the benefit, mortgages are so difficult to find now,interest rates are high and those who are in money trouble are being ripped off by unscrupulous money lending companies.
I don't see any of those being reined back banks,building societies ect will be bullying those who are on benefits soon to make up the difference in payments owing after the government has reduced the payments to the lenders because of a lower interest rate.

cue repossessions,councils being harassed to find housing for those kicked out into the street.
can't see the liberals standing for that or has the power gone completely to their heads.

election next year sometime and then back to a quieter more fair way of life for us all

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Anyway I don't see what would have been so DIFFICULT to implement the necessary cuts such that:

Combined household income < £55k = full child benefits
Combined household income < £65k = half child benefits
else no child benefits

(although obviously the specified income brackets would need proper investigation)

To me that seems about the most sensible way of implementing it, They base child tax credit on the household income so why not do it for child benefit as well?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
does seem a quality cock up on the implementation, dodged proper means testing to ensure its fair. lots of problems for example, you're a couple but the nipper is hers by someone else - does your salary count? should it? they should have simply scrapped it as a default altogether then given it out on application to those earning upto x. and they should have drop winter fuel payments to all earning top tax too (you getting 37k on a pension you're doing alright)

once again (first time being flat rate income tax), Osbourne has bottled it.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
this

can't see the liberals standing for that or has the power gone completely to their heads.

The power has gone to their heads,such as they have.Their headboy is the equivalent of a chaircounter,but he will know that he has led his party to many,many more years of minor party opposition.

The next election,when it comes,will return us to a two party system with the LibDems left to bask in their past governmental glories,whatever they are.

It's a thought,but what are the chances of many of these Liberals crossing to the Tory party for the next election?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
To me that seems about the most sensible way of implementing it, They base child tax credit on the household income so why not do it for child benefit as well?

agreed it is more sensible and I could accept it more than what has been proposed but it still doesn't cover off regional variations on things such as house prices etc.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
The power has gone to their heads,such as they have.Their headboy is the equivalent of a chaircounter,but he will know that he has led his party to many,many more years of minor party opposition.

The next election,when it comes,will return us to a two party system with the LibDems left to bask in their past governmental glories,whatever they are.

It's a thought,but what are the chances of many of these Liberals crossing to the Tory party for the next election?

Interesting piece on the Politics show yesterday where a group of middle england conservatives where asked about their view of the lib dems and it was none too pleasant. One even said he'd trust labour more than the lib dems because 'when labour say something, you know they mean it whereas the lib dems say one thing to your face and another when they leave the room'.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
and still lose the election
I believe that many of the grass roots people are joining the Labour party

Interesting piece on the Politics show yesterday where a group of middle england conservatives where asked about their view of the lib dems and it was none too pleasant. One even said he'd trust labour more than the lib dems because 'when labour say something, you know they mean it whereas the lib dems say one thing to your face and another when they leave the room'.

I have a small bet on with Wifey that we have an election by June next year
and what you have said somewhat confirms this

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

all very well but the Tax Credit System is a total mess up with morons employed to process.

If the child benefit system went the same way it would cost much of the savings made to administer it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
and can someone tell me why whenever George Osbourne and his cronies speak about this and anything fiscal they automatically blame the Labour party, never ever mentions the Banks that the labour government bailed out(is he say that he would'nt have bailed them out)

maybe the same reasons Labour supporting cronies blindly blame everything on "the banks" as a collective group, ignoring it wasnt all of them, there were other organisations involved and hide the role of their own people. cheap political point scoring which ignores the inportant details.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
this
IMHO the banks should have been nationalized when this trouble started they obviously can't run themselves and are now in the process of making back all THEY lost , but do we see any of the benefit, mortgages are so difficult to find now,interest rates are high and those who are in money trouble are being ripped off by unscrupulous money lending companies.
I don't see any of those being reined back banks,building societies ect will be bullying those who are on benefits soon to make up the difference in payments owing after the government has reduced the payments to the lenders because of a lower interest rate.

cue repossessions,councils being harassed to find housing for those kicked out into the street.

election next year sometime and then back to a quieter more fair way of life for us all

Interest rates high? You're having a laugh aren't you!My savings aren't telling me that!
Face facts,the last Government left the country in a dreadful financial mess and the present welfare system cannot be afforded.
IMHO,there won't be an election next year and even if there was,Ed Milliband would be heavily defeated.I reckon the Labour Party have made a big mistake in making him the leader.
Take your head out of the sand Glasfryn,the country cannot afford another term of financially irresponsible Government.
However,I must agree that the changes to Child Benefit are strange,not necessarily fair and not the way I would have gone about making savings.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Interest rates high? You're having a laugh aren't you!My savings aren't telling me that!
Face facts,the last Government left the country in a dreadful financial mess and the present welfare system cannot be afforded.
IMHO,there won't be an election next year and even if there was,Ed Milliband would be heavily defeated.I reckon the Labour Party have made a big mistake in making him the leader.
Take your head out of the sand Glasfryn,the country cannot afford another term of financially irresponsible Government.
However,I must agree that the changes to Child Benefit are strange,not necessarily fair and not the way I would have gone about making savings.

How would you have made savings? Unforutnately we've got to the end of where effeciencies can get us. We need to stop paying money out and this seems a good start.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I resent my money going to people earning £50,000 + a year, yes i bloody do.

You make it sound like people over the wage of 50K per year are on footballers salaries.

I think the point about this one is that it is completely unfair as many people have stated above (i.e 80K combined gets the benefit but 45K single does not) Which Tory BUMHAT thought that one up?

Also, my disposable income is next to nil after mortgage (which is massive thanks to rampant house inflation, I don't live in a mansion by any stretch), bills etc. The only benefits i get from the state are Nursery vouchers and CB both of which this government want to scrap. When 'Call me Dave' says 'We are all in this together' what he means is people like me in are in it and will pay for it but not his millionaire mates from the Notting Hill set.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
No way will there be an election next year, get real

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here