Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cherries in trouble again

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Brightonbear
Seeing as you only registered in January, I will explain :
Ernest is the biggest wind up on here and is somewhat a cult figure, You either love him or hate him (I love Ernest's A.R.S.:lolol:) He "hates" everything and everyone but in actual fact is Albion through and through and a more dedicated fan you will struggle to find.
So Brightonbear sit back and laugh at him and don't take the bait Ernie's a legend whether people like him or not and this board wouldn't be quite the same without him.

Indeed the legend that is Ernest will be appearing with me on harty's show for the Hartlepool home game. A bobbler and a living legend together with the Nicholas Parsons on SCR, to be followed by DTG (The DLT of south). That WILL get the crowds back into Withdean

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Sky isn't the SOLE reason for the problems obviously. But it has been largely responsible for creating the insurmountable gulf between the haves and the have-nots.
Not really. Sky pay top dollar for top soccerball because that is their business.

I'd say the problems we see at lower league level are a combination of many things. In no particular order, appalling lack of redistribution of wealth from Champions League and Premiership TV contracts, unbelievably piss-poor lower league management, corruption in management and board rooms, unrealistic wage demands of players, feeble lack of regulation and structure (On Digital legalities anyone?) and a totally crap national team causing disillusionment amongst fans fed up of paying too much money as it is.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
to be followed by DTG (The DLT of south).

That'll be DLT without the beard, not coming from lancashire and not a DJ, apart from that well done

:thumbsup:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The reason why so many clubs are in financial difficulty must come down to what Sky and the Premiership have done to football at the top level. The profits generated are massive but are not being dripfed down to the lower leagues in order for them to survive. Football at grass roots level is dependent on support from local and county FA's. They in turn feed into the League with prospective players who can work their way up. The problem is that the clubs in the Premier are bringing in players from abroad so the sell on clauses are in effect useless.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Without Sky money how much faster will clubs go bust?

But no, go ahead blame sky.

How much money does a a league One or League Two club get from sky? I am sure it is not a great deal in comparison to potential finance lost from the fanbase that can watch pretty much every Arsenal/Chelsea/Liverpool/Man Utd game from the comfort of their own sofa or down the pub without scant regard for their local team.

Having said that, I am not suggesting that football, certainly lower league football, could survive without money that has come into the game. However, Sky created the monstrosity that is now known as The Premier League. The rotten element of the game has filtered down into the leagues below. Can anyone really justify some run of the mill player earning £10k a week + in the Championship when the average fan is having to fork out £500+ for a season ticket without taking anything else into account? I wonder how many fans of Arsenal can no longer afford to watch his/her team from a seat in the stadium? Or fans of Colchester or Brighton etc.?

I wonder how many fans used to dream of seeing their team in the top flight, which is now impossible unless you have a mega rich chairman that is willing to throw caution to the wind. Football is f***ed. Even a ticket for non-league football costs over 2.5 times an hours work for a person on the national minimum wage.

But hey, the new deal with Sky/Setanta...whoever, means that you 'win' £50m for finishing bottom of the Premiership AND you get some free money for a couple of years after your relegation!

I may sound a bit bitter and twisted, but the game of football is slowly being eroded away and there doesn't seem to be an answer to the problem just yet.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
How much money does a a league One or League Two club get from sky?

F*ck all.

What money goes down to the lower leagues, the championship take 80%

And Sky like it not has helped to create a huge imbalance across the leagues.

This in turn affects clubs like us, since if we get promoted we have to compete against teams who have had a huge parachute payment and other clubs in the championship who quite literally gamble their futures by spending money they havent got by trying to compete with them.

Very interesting programme on the radio the other night about it.

There is probably just enough TV money floating around in the Championship to keep the clubs going, but the finances of some of the clubs up there are in a terrible state.

Last edited:

How much money does a a league One or League Two club get from sky?

I really don't know how much each Premiership club get from their SKY deal - £20, £30M, £50M?
The Football League gets £20M pa from SKY which it distributes amongst ALL the FL clubs.
As Clapham's already said, Championship gets 80% = £16M = £695600 per club
Division 1 gets 12% = £2.4M = £104300 per club
Division 2 gets 8% = £1.6M = £69600 per club

Saw one of the Northampton Directors being interviewed before Christmas which is where I obtained this info.

So if every Premiership footballer where to donate one week's salary to the FL or the Clubs were to forgoe say 5% of their SKY revenue then?

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
also the fl decided to abstain on their cva vote yet voted against ours.

i lost the rest of my post. grr.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here