Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chelsea tractors

Mungo_Jerry

Sep 27, 2011
I have an X5 and it is, quite frankly, the shit - that's why I drive it. Call me Jeremy Clarkson but if that makes me a bad person so be it. Funnily enough my wife used to have a Clio and that had worse CO2 and MPG than the beast and drove like a piece of crap so we shopped it in.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
So according to this thread i should be driving a bigger car:down:

Anyway enough of my tiddler, I think that perhaps the OP is getting at the practicalities of ownership. IMO many people who own these things would be much better off with a different vehicle. In Lewes and Brighton they just aren't needed and are bloody impractical They adversely effect other road users, are highly polluting and dangerous to pedestrians.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No generalisation here then. Seriously, everyone driving a 4x4 is a twat and everyone else parks superbly and is a considerate driver .... So when I drive my 4 x 4 I drive like a fool yet I'm a nice guy when I drive either of the other cars FFS

No sure that I called anyone a twat and a big f*** off 4x4 does block my view and they are often driven by Mums who park badly. Don't take it so personally :rolleyes:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
No need for them on the majority of roads. They also seem to be driven by the most arrogant and inconsiderate wankers.

My personal fight against them is to never give them way on the roads...

I'm in this gang as well.

Why do so many of the drivers of these vehicles think they can intimidate you into giving way to them?

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Try driving through the country lanes in Surrey. You constantly meet Ermentrude and Quentin's mummy coming the other way in her Mercedes 4 x 4 where she stops dead in the middle of the road because she has no idea of the width of her vehicle so you and several other motorists have to reverse to where it is wider so she can pass at 0.25 miles per hour.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
We should also consider the extra Co2 emissions and pollution these things generate, after all, we do not own the earth, we are just borrowing it from our children.

LOL!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Just bought a car that does 18 mpg round town, I feel like a grown up at last!

markw

Aug 28, 2009
No need for them on the majority of roads. They also seem to be driven by the most arrogant and inconsiderate wankers.

My personal fight against them is to never give them way on the roads...

I would be very careful with that attitude, when I have had smaller or nice cars, people who don't give a f*** make you give way when its my right of way, normally when parked cars on their side of road. Now I have an old discovery, if someone does not give way when they should I carry on and they have a couple of choices, move over or get the side of their car smashed in.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
At least Lewes is a country town (and former market town) where you might expect to see a good number of 4WD vehicles.

Chelsea does not have that excuse.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Assuming that to be true, does that lead on to a wider argument about some people feeling that their car is a natural psychological extension of their personality?

Goodness, this could be a bit of a worry if it's more than just 'some people'. Where would it leave people who drive around in, for example, wondrously dirty cars covered in poo and algae?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Let's face it whatever your defence for having a beast of a vehicle, unless you need regular access to off road locales, the only reason you have on eis because you can. It's selfish, it's helping ruin the planet and it's not very practical. People need to stop asking whether they can do something and start asking whetehr they should do something.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here