Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chelsea tractors

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
No need for them on the majority of roads. They also seem to be driven by the most arrogant and inconsiderate wankers.

My personal fight against them is to never give them way on the roads...

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
You should try living over here. If it's not a Ferrari or a Lambo or Bugatti Veyron, it's a f***ing FJ Cruiser or a Hummer. 9 out of 10 cars are hulking monsters.

But with a full tank of fuel for one of these beasts coming in at £25 tops, who wouldn't. Even our Jeep Cherokee only costs £16 to fill up.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Perhaps everybody should drive black Trabants?

(BTW I don't have a 4x4, but just feel that if someone wants to drive a car that does 15-18 miles to the gallon, that's their choice)

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man
If you ever get the opportunity to drive one of the new Range Rover Sports, you will know exactly why they are so popular, they are excellent.

If I had the money I would buy one, but it wouldn't be specifically for their 4x4 capabilities.

Totally agree I have had mine for just over two years and love the car.

and yes it does go off road... well onto building sites which would be unmanageable in a normal car. Recently took it through 18" thick mud and didn't get stuck once.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
You should try living over here. If it's not a Ferrari or a Lambo or Bugatti Veyron, it's a f***ing FJ Cruiser or a Hummer. 9 out of 10 cars are hulking monsters.

It's the same where I live. There is a huge tax on car imports so only the very wealthy can afford a car. Therefore, if it's not a taxi, it's a sports car or massive 4x4. Then they try and drive them down roads like this:

IMG_0069.JPG (Photo taken during a rush hour commute last year.)

Needless to say, as in most places, practicality is a secondary concern when choosing a car.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Like the OP I don't see the point of them for townies on the school run, but it's a free country and if they do want to splurge their cash on some gas guzzler just to make a statement then it's up to them. All the time they are collectively coughing up vast sums in car tax and petrol tax to run these beasts the government will come looking for less tax from me. You might just as well ask what the point is of two people living on their own in a house that has 6 bedrooms.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
There should be a maximum size and weight for private vehicles. I appreciate that you are safer in a large vehicle due to its mass - the forces you experience in a crash with a small car are less as in a collision it decelerates less, while the other car is punted backwards in a mangled wreck and all inside killed.
Higher bumpers make sure pedestrians or cyclists go under the vehicle and are crushed to death, rather than bouncing over the top and having a chance.
So a selfish choice, but if you give that choice many will take it. The job of government is to take decisions that benefit everyone (theoretically at least!) and this would be sensible legislation.
There are further effects in the tendency to ignore other road users, consciously or not, as in an oversize vehicle they are not a danger to you. It seems prudent to legislate rather than allow an 'arms race' of massive vehicles to develop among the worried wealthy mummies.
Of course the ironic part is the culture they are endorsing is more likely to get their teenage children killed when they are allowed to go somewhere without the parental taxi service, and that when these beasts collide with each other the advantage of mass is lost and injury is more likely due to the lower safety standards they are subject to.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You might just as well ask what the point is of two people living on their own in a house that has 6 bedrooms.

Well at least that wouldn't be blocking my view of the road or causing a tailback with some crap parking in a narrow street or creating mayhem at school arrival and chucking out time.:smile:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
We should also consider the extra Co2 emissions and pollution these things generate, after all, we do not own the earth, we are just borrowing it from our children.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
We should also consider the extra Co2 emissions and pollution these things generate, after all, we do not own the earth, we are just borrowing it from our children.

I couldn't agree more. In fact I believe the children are our future. We should teach them well and let them lead the way and if we can show them all the beauty they possess inside and perhaps give them a sense of pride then surely the children's laughter will remind us how we used to be.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I couldn't agree more. In fact I believe the children are our future. We should teach them well and let them lead the way and if we can show them all the beauty they possess inside and perhaps give them a sense of pride then surely the children's laughter will remind us how we used to be.

I decided long ago, never to walk in anyone's shadows,If I fail, if I succeed,At least I'll live as I believe,
No matter what they take from me,They can't take away my dignity,Because the greatest love of all
Is happening to me

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I decided long ago, never to walk in anyone's shadows,If I fail, if I succeed,At least I'll live as I believe,
No matter what they take from me,They can't take away my dignity,Because the greatest love of all
Is happening to me

Heal the world.
Make it a better place.
For you, and for me, and the entire human race.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Is happening to me

That's beautiful man.

thealbionfan

Oct 6, 2003
No need for them on the majority of roads. They also seem to be driven by the most arrogant and inconsiderate wankers.

My personal fight against them is to never give them way on the roads...

A thought provoking post...for me in any event. You weren't in Worthing the other day were you. It's just I had a run in with a chap who decided to pull onto the pavement rather than reversing (it was my right of way) and then proceeded to scrape the driver's side of my 4x4 whilst calling me names. You've got to love the chap though as when I got out of the car so we could discuss the situation he drove off with his arm out of the window giving me a wanker sign...lovely. Not so good for my car though. It turns out that arrogant and inconsiderate wankers also drive vehicles which aren't 4x4s...who'd have thought it...

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Well at least that wouldn't be blocking my view of the road or causing a tailback with some crap parking in a narrow street or creating mayhem at school arrival and chucking out time.:smile:

No generalisation here then. Seriously, everyone driving a 4x4 is a twat and everyone else parks superbly and is a considerate driver .... So when I drive my 4 x 4 I drive like a fool yet I'm a nice guy when I drive either of the other cars FFS

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here