Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chelsea tractors

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Walking around Lewes, there seems to be more Chelsea Tractors per square mile than anywhere else (possibly including Chelsea). Maybe I just haven't noticed them in Brighton too much.

Surely they're expensive to maintain and run, block narrow streets and, I'm led to believe, not that safe.

My question is, assuming we all have metalled roads, what is the point of them in town? :shrug:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Walking around Lewes, there seems to be more Chelsea Tractors per square mile than anywhere else (possibly including Chelsea). Maybe I just haven't noticed them in Brighton too much.

Surely they're expensive to maintain and run, block narrow streets and, I'm led to believe, not that safe.

My question is, assuming we all have metalled roads, what is the point of them in town? :shrug:
maybe they are owned by country people just in lewes shopping etc ?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Land Rovers have always been, deliberately because of the distant/rural locations they are used, the easiest/simplest of all cars to maintain & self fix

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010

Shirley a Land Rover, or large 4x4, has to be in a large urban area before it can qualify as a Chelsea tractor?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Land Rovers have always been, deliberately because of the distant/rural locations they are used, the easiest/simplest of all cars to maintain & self fix

Yes, but the ones TLO refers to almost certainly aren't Land Rovers, are they, theyn 're BMW X5s and Audi Q8s, and Nissans and VW Touaregs and other such faux-off roaders designed to appeal to a certain demographic.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Really?
Source?

I don't mean that they're inherently unsafe. I should probably clarify and say there is a perception that, because they're larger, and the driver is higher, they're therefore safer, and that that can seep into the psychology of the road user. I was more thinking about their greater likelihood (because of their relative height) of them tipping over than smaller cars under given conditions.

I appreciate that this is a Wikipedia page, and can be taken with a pinch of salt, but this may be worth considering...

Criticism of sport utility vehicles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
They always seem to be driven by blonde haired haughty women with small heads wearing obligatory oversize sunglasses.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
If you ever get the opportunity to drive one of the new Range Rover Sports, you will know exactly why they are so popular, they are excellent.

If I had the money I would buy one, but it wouldn't be specifically for their 4x4 capabilities.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I don't mean that they're inherently unsafe. I should probably clarify and say there is a perception that, because they're larger, and the driver is higher, they're therefore safer, and that that can seep into the psychology of the road user. I was more thinking about their greater likelihood (because of their relative height) of them tipping over than smaller cars under given conditions.

I appreciate that this is a Wikipedia page, and can be taken with a pinch of salt, but this may be worth considering...

Criticism of sport utility vehicles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was watching a study of accidents a while ago, and it was pretty conclusive that in a head-on crash the vehicle that comes off better is the one with teh higher bumper height. However, I take your point that some who drive them do seem to take control of the road as if there is something in their subconscious that has encouraged them to plough on taking the right of way - regardless of highway code - simply because they are bigger.

Personally, my wife does have a Land Rover, and the reality is that we get a lot of snow round my way, and it is simply a million miles safer in icy conditions than my little Merc. The stability on the road in treacherous conditions really is excellent, so of course that vehicle is popular on school runs, as you don't take any risks with your kids do you.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I have no problem with genuine country types who have to travel all year round in all weathers and road conditions to their local market towns to do business, especially with the decline of basic services in local villages etc but agree the proliferation of big 4x4s among 'townies' and city dwellers appears to be purely a fashion statement. Ok there must be a feeling of safety and security having all that metal to protect little Jemima and Tarquin on the school run and when touch parking in Waitrose car park but with loads of smaller vehicles having 5* NCAP safety ratings and decent load carrying capacity it seems rather OTT etc. I bet half the drivers of 4x4s would regard themselves as 'green' but are prepared to turn a blind eye when it comes to driving a juicy big V8 engined 4x4.

The main issue I have is that many 'townie' drivers of SUVs don't really know how to drive them safely and often exhibit some terrible driving and parking habits (near schools for example) plus if you dare to offer some friendly advice you risk getting a mouthful of abuse.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I have no problem with genuine country types who have to travel all year round in all weathers and road conditions to their local market towns to do business, especially with the decline of basic services in local villages etc but agree the proliferation of big 4x4s among 'townies' and city dwellers appears to be purely a fashion statement. Ok there must be a feeling of safety and security having all that metal to protect little Jemima and Tarquin on the school run and when touch parking in Waitrose car park but with loads of smaller vehicles having 5* NCAP safety ratings and decent load carrying capacity it seems rather OTT etc. I bet half the drivers of 4x4s would regard themselves as 'green' but are prepared to turn a blind eye when it comes to driving a juicy big V8 engined 4x4.

The main issue I have is that many 'townie' drivers of SUVs don't really know how to drive them safely and often exhibit some terrible driving and parking habits (near schools for example) plus if you dare to offer some friendly advice you risk getting a mouthful of abuse.

Assuming that to be true, does that lead on to a wider argument about some people feeling that their car is a natural psychological extension of their personality?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

They are very safe, when you're on the inside!

Our reason for purchase was:

Carry 7 People, essential when you have two boys who always have friends in tow, a dog, football gear etc

Easier to drive in snow and flooding

Don't do high mileage

Good for getting large items moved (have own businesses)

Robust

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Assuming that to be true, does that lead on to a wider argument about some people feeling that their car is a natural psychological extension of their personality?

Probably. Same can be said for clothes, music taste etc etc.

Every choice we make in life is a direct result of our personalities. Driving a big car is just another choice - let people get on with it.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

I can certainly think of a few local examples of people whose car is very much an extension of their personaility. Not just when it comes to 4x4s either.

Going back to the OP's point I know of a couple who have a newish Range Rover (his) and Discovery (hers). Ok they have a young baby but the Mother always drives the Disco only 200 yards to/from her workplace and local shops.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My experience is that it's a car to keep little Rupert or Demelza safe and f*** the rest of you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here