Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chelsea target…… Ferguson

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I decided to read this article. The evidence put forward for the headline is a follows:

1. Man Utd might be looking for a new striker because Højlund is probably out injured unitl September

2. Dan Ashworth helped sign Ferguson before so probably wants to sign him again.

3. Chelsea like signing Brighton players so probably want to sign Ferguson too at some point.

4. So….. Man Utd must sign him quickly for ‘over’ £50m (which is what he is probably worth after a season blighted by injury) before Chelsea get him.

That’s the logic behind the article.
Given Fergie is currently out injured, I am not sure how buying him as cover for the start of the season makes much sense?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Given Fergie is currently out injured, I am not sure how buying him as cover for the start of the season makes much sense?
The article is astonishingly badly written. No surprise given the source but very disappointing that the BBC chose to parrot something so clearly BS, even if it’s only in their gossip section.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
The problem with being a development and selling club is that our players know that and the expectations of younger players is that they may get a move into the big time. I hope this isn’t going to unsettle some of them too early and they start rocking the boat. As said above, Ferguson seems quite level headed and gets good advice- I hope he can get injury free and get good minutes this season - I think we are going to need him and his goals.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Indeed. 0% risk.

Typical Sunday rumour.
Agreed.

However IF there is any truth to the rumour, and IF the figure mentioned is anything like true, (let's face it Chelsea are known for spending silly money), then might not a deal be tempting?

19 year olds are notoriously inconsistent and, although injured for some of the time, we saw we saw very little of him last season. If that £50m, or the majority of it could be reinvested back into the team, then there may be a tendency to just take the money and run.

I'm not saying that l favour the club doing that, I'm simply adding another dimension to the debate.

Reactions: abc

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Agreed.

However IF there is any truth to the rumour, and IF the figure mentioned is anything like true, (let's face it Chelsea are known for spending silly money), then might not a deal be tempting?

19 year olds are notoriously inconsistent and, although injured for some of the time, we saw we saw very little of him last season. If that £50m, or the majority of it could be reinvested back into the team, then there may be a tendency to just take the money and run.

I'm not saying that l favour the club doing that, I'm simply adding another dimension to the debate.
Exactly. As per my post #57, what is the price that might tempt TB to cash in and let somebody else take the risk that he recovers to his full ability that we saw earlier on? After all, every player, in every team, has a price. FWIW, I don't think £50M would be enough (and equally, that £150M is simply cloud-cuckoo land).

I hope we hold on to him - but it's not my money!

Jul 20, 2003
It's alright, they've just spunked £50m on Pedro Neto (7 year deal). They won't be buying any more players for a shit ton of money during this window.
No way. Definitely not.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I decided to read this article. The evidence put forward for the headline is a follows:

1. Man Utd might be looking for a new striker because Højlund is probably out injured unitl September.

2. Dan Ashworth helped sign Ferguson before so probably wants to sign him again.

3. Chelsea like signing Brighton players so probably want to sign Ferguson too at some point.

4. So….. Man Utd must sign him quickly for ‘over’ £50m (which is what he is probably worth after a season blighted by injury) before Chelsea get him.

That’s the logic behind the article.
I know the writer. A nice guy, he always strikes me as a bit like a minor character from Minder. He lives in Bristol and has absolutely no inside track on the Albion. Nothing to see here.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The full bit...

Gary Jacob writes: Chelsea have also considered a late move for Jhon Durán and Evan Ferguson. The west London club were given permission to speak to the forward by Aston Villa after making a £40million offer in June. Chelsea would be willing to offer players as part of the deal.​
Chelsea are also looking at Ferguson, the Brighton & Hove Albion forward who missed the opening two league matches due to an ankle problem that prematurely ended his campaign last season. It is unclear if he would be available, even on loan.​
Ferguson was due to feature against Crawley Town in the Carabao Cup second round on Tuesday, but an injury to Matt O’Riley prevented his introduction. West Ham failed with a bid to sign Duran this month.​

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here