Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chelsea sign 11 year old

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
How is it illegal as I know of a lad who was not old enough for school but was with Fulham although not signed by them. The same as this lad I am talking about with Cheslea.

Just believe me clubs are not allowed to "sign" children under 9 years despite their best efforts!

I have alot to do with mini soccer in Sussex and clubs cannot bring players into their academy til they're 9 years old.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If it is my brothers workmates son he has been with Chelsea since he was 4 years old.
There is NO WAY he has been at Chelsea since he was four. At best he's been going to their soccer schools since he was four, which of course anyone can even if they're shit, and then got signed at eight or nine (the minimum age for signing to a club). Think about it for a minute, we all agree it's hard enough to judge potential players at fifteen or sixteen, let alone at eight. No one would begin to judge them at four.

Back on the subject anyone remember Scott Sinclair? Chelsea signed him from Reading at 15 for £250,000 as he was going to be the next Pele, Maraona, Best, etc. (He played against Brighton at Withdean that time we beat them in the FA Youth Cup). Where's he now? (Genuine question, I don't know).

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
There is NO WAY he has been at Chelsea since he was four. At best he's been going to their soccer schools since he was four, which of course anyone can even if they're shit, and then got signed at eight or nine (the minimum age for signing to a club). Think about it for a minute, we all agree it's hard enough to judge potential players at fifteen or sixteen, let alone at eight. No one would begin to judge them at four.

Back on the subject anyone remember Scott Sinclair? Chelsea signed him from Reading at 15 for £250,000 as he was going to be the next Pele, Maraona, Best, etc. (He played against Brighton at Withdean that time we beat them in the FA Youth Cup). Where's he now? (Genuine question, I don't know).

Scott Sinclair is at Swansea...he is 21 and joined in August...he has scored 8 goals in 9 appearances so far.

On the age issue...all this organised junior football under the age of 11 is complete bollocks. It serves no purpose, the kids aren't ready for it, physically or mentally and it scars some of them for life before they have even started.
They should use only small balls ( e.g tennis ball size ) in small court areas to improve confidence and skill and only very slowly and gently be introduced to larger pitches and balls.
Kids do not benefit from all this organisation at a very young age...they should be allowed to run free and develop naturally.
I would have no organised football in this country under the age of 11.
( The Brazilians seem to do alright without it! )

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Scott Sinclair is at Swansea...he is 21 and joined in August...he has scored 8 goals in 9 appearances so far.

On the age issue...all this organised junior football under the age of 11 is complete bollocks. It serves no purpose, the kids aren't ready for it, physically or mentally and it scars some of them for life before they have even started.
They should use only small balls ( e.g tennis ball size ) in small court areas to improve confidence and skill and only very slowly and gently be introduced to larger pitches and balls.
Kids do not benefit from all this organisation at a very young age...they should be allowed to run free and develop naturally.
I would have no organised football in this country under the age of 11.
( The Brazilians seem to do alright without it! )
Considering how some 'future worldbeaters' sink without trace Sinclair's actually doing quite well! It's always instructive to look at an England Schoolboys' team of ten years ago. The players, deemed the best in their age group at the time, would now be 25 and in their prime - virtually none will be in the Premiership let alone full internationals.

I think you're on the right lines with your comments on U-11 football. We've discussed it on here before and there's general (but by no means universal) agreement that all the while the main 'problem' with U-11s is making sure that they've all got matching shirts shorts and socks to wear in their rigid, too-competitve matches England will continue, by and large, to produce technically-inferior footballers.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I did say that he was with Chelsea not that he had signed for Chelsea a slight difference as they are then able to monitor him from this young age. Talking about Glen Geard Mullery said that he would play for England, when he was only 15 but he only ever achieved County League.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I did say that he was with Chelsea not that he had signed for Chelsea a slight difference as they are then able to monitor him from this young age. ...
That's the point. ANYBODY can 'be with Chelsea' from the age of four, it means nothing. If he's in his 'teens and is with Chelsea then, yes, he's one to watch. Even their rejects can expect to get picked up by lower league clubs.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Clubs do 'bring in youngsters' below the recognised age at which they can sign for an Academy.

They use various guises and names for these monitoring sessions and I feel this is prompted by various Academy rules.

Including the first club any youngster registers with has a right to retain their registration until the age of 16 yrs !!!!

Any switch of club will then be bound to pay compensation to that club, so the earlier you get into a youngster then if he has high potential you either retain his services or if he wishes to move clubs then compensation will need to be paid some of it quite substantial, all very cosy as ultimately the original club can then release this youngster at any stage without any financial penalty or further obligation to that player.

I think it is very difficult to assess likely development of any youngster, however I am sure clubs also recognise that most top players were a likely stand out player at their age of 11 years, to different degrees, so recruitment of any perceived outstanding player is quite reasonable.

My own view on this player is I wonder if his main attribute is good technique that might be exaggerated by a physical advantage.

There is still suspicion by many close to Academys that many youngsters that are dominant at younger age groups may be oversized and even overaged, with many only recently arriving from Countries where documentation is at best sketchy, offering an unfair advantage and a distorted system of player assessment.

Nov 2, 2008
Running BN1
Do you think that a club such as barcelona would be buying an 11 year old from espanyol though for a fee? Maybe this could be another another factor in British football failure? (asking a question here, not actually saying it is.)

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Barca signed Messi very young (11-12 ish I think) from an Argentinian team (more to do with they could afford his growth hormone treatment though) so it can work

Nov 20, 2003
hove
my son plays brighton boys with a 12 year old who has been given a 4 year deal by chelsea .dad took him away from albion due to poor facilities ,coaching ect

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I have a little cousin who plays for Brighton and has just been called up to England girls U15s. Very proud of her.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Don't ever let your child go to BHAFC worst f***ing centre of excellance!!! Only go there if you got reddies.

Well having watched several of the different age groups at BHAFC over the past few years (the latest of which were Sunday's game at Under 9 and Under 11s against Orient at Falmer) I would completley disagree.

I am not going to report scores etc because I don't think they do that, all I can say is that in the (several) games I have seen at different ages the Caoching they receive is excellent.

IMO the Youth set up is now first class and the future looks good. How many come through to the first team, time will tell.

Nov 20, 2003
hove
f*** me the under 13s couldnt even beat aldershot and orient reciently ,in the last year 6 boys have left due to the poor facilities ect and thats just at u13 level.TB needs new blood in there Steve Brown would be a great shout to take it over with the likes of jonny byne stuwart tuck ian chapmam russel bromage all involved as they were before,and turned into an acadamy this would take the club forward into the new stadium era.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
my son plays brighton boys with a 12 year old who has been given a 4 year deal by chelsea .dad took him away from albion due to poor facilities ,coaching ect

Comparably the facilities will always be inferior to Chelsea's, the hardest thing is for Chelsea wishing to sign a player and paying compensation to that players registered club.

It restricts the movement of players which the clubs enjoy, but can sometimes be a disadvantage to a decent youngster that may wish to sign freely for a club of his choice even at the age of 9 years old.

Nov 2, 2008
Running BN1
Well having watched several of the different age groups at BHAFC over the past few years (the latest of which were Sunday's game at Under 9 and Under 11s against Orient at Falmer) I would completley disagree.

I am not going to report scores etc because I don't think they do that, all I can say is that in the (several) games I have seen at different ages the Caoching they receive is excellent.

IMO the Youth set up is now first class and the future looks good. How many come through to the first team, time will tell.

First hand experience but I wont go into detail.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
what happened to that rule about being a certain distance away from a club I think it was an hour and half.

Still exists but clubs now find 'jobs' for the parents of the top kids to entice them to move closer. Not sure if it the time from the actual ground or the training ground (i.e. in Chelsea's case London or Cobham, Surrey)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here