Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chelsea sign 11 year old

andywhing4england

Jan 19, 2009
Poor lad. He will crumble under the pressure and weight of expection before crash landing back into the real world at your local MacDonalds. Daft purchase.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
History is littered with kids who are outstanding at 11 years old, or eight years old, or whatever, who are given a glimpse of stardom, and who are completely lost to the game by fifteen when other kids in their peer group overtake them in terms of size, strength or just will to succeed.

Anyone else remember that lad with the massive hair a few years back who was all over Newsround and in the papers because Ajax had signed him to their academy when he was about seven? I think his name was Sonny something-or-other. His Dad was very disparaging about English club academies etc and was boasting to the press about the fact his son was going to Ajax.

As I recall, he never made it at Ajax and drifted around the English non league game for a couple of years before jacking football in completely.

Some of the best players look average even at sixteen, and suddenly blossom when they fill out.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Nii Lamptey?
Cherno Samba?
Freddy Adu?

All supposed to be potential world-beaters as kids and have never lived up to it.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
That Ajax kids name was Sonny Pike, Apparantly he had a break down too cos of all the pressure put on him.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Having managed a football team for 9 years our club had five players recruited at various ages by the BHAFC Academy of which none made the grade albeit one who is there at U13s and his dad played for BHAFC.

Tough business and if it was my kid I really would not do it and call it sour grapes but much of it is who you know as one current youth player at BHAFC played against my son at U13s, U14s and U15s and they were in Sussex Sunday Youth League 2.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
American professional basketball scouting starts in earnest about two years later, at the end of middle school.

Thanks to our marvelously corrupt university athletics, however, NBA teams aren't directly involved -- they let the colleges do their work for them.

If the EPL, the NBA, and the Conservative Party ever put their noggins together, they could replicate this system in the UK, mitigating somewhat the steep increase in student tuition and top-off fees -- provided you're over 2 meters tall. It could be the Crouch Commission....

bathseagull

Apr 18, 2004
St. Anmore
Poor lad. He will crumble under the pressure and weight of expection before crash landing back into the real world at your local MacDonalds. Daft purchase.

In the meantime he'll get decked out in Adidas gear from head to toe, including up to 8 pairs of boots per year and a driver to pick him up and take him to and from training and fixtures...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here