Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chelsea Launch complaint

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
So the studs dragged down Torres' shin pad was diving was it? The offending player (Evans) has a recent history of tackles like that (Shelvey for example). Torres probably should have seen red instead of his first yellow but that was not a dive.

There is slight contact but Torres does what he and so many others do........... Try and con the ref. He over run it and tried to cheat. Evans dragged his studs down Torres shin ? Left him writhing in agony ? I'm sure Chelsea will release the pictures of his horrific injuries in due course.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
There is slight contact but Torres does what he and so many others do........... Try and con the ref. He over run it and tried to cheat. Evans dragged his studs down Torres shin ? Left him writhing in agony ? I'm sure Chelsea will release the pictures of his horrific injuries in due course.

Read what I said, not what you imagine I said. Evans dragged his studs down Torres' SHIN PAD, just like he did to Shelvey. Who got booked each time? Yes, the guy that Evans fouled-he's a dirty little twat who seems to enjoy going in with his studs. I have no time for Torres or Chelsea but that booking was farcical.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Read what I said, not what you imagine I said. Evans dragged his studs down Torres' SHIN PAD, just like he did to Shelvey. Who got booked each time? Yes, the guy that Evans fouled-he's a dirty little twat who seems to enjoy going in with his studs. I have no time for Torres or Chelsea but that booking was farcical.

I know what you wrote. Evans was lucky with the Shelvey tackle - he could just have easily gone - but I am not debating that. Torres writhed in agony on the floor from the tackle that barely touched his shin pads. Torres is a diver. Good refereeing today.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I know what you wrote. Evans was lucky with the Shelvey tackle - he could just have easily gone - but I am not debating that. Torres writhed in agony on the floor from the tackle that barely touched his shin pads. Torres is a diver. Good refereeing today.
But there was contact and thus it wasn't a dive.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

There was contact in the earlier game when Phil Neville went down but he realised as soon as he did it what a fool he was and said he would never do it again. Still contact when Agger had his hand on Nevilles back so where is the difference there then. Players are going down to easy - they need to stay on their feet and then the refs job would be so much easier.

Last edited:

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
Is the communication between the ref, lino's and the 4th official recorded?

Are the ref’s mic’s ‘live’ all game?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004

This is the sentence that is ruining football. Contact should not necessarily equal a foul and a player should not be 'entitled' to fall over if he is touched by another player. But this line has been repeated so often that it's become true.

In this case I agree it actually was a foul by Evans, but the fact that Torres fell down the way he did gives me no sympathy for him whatsoever, and makes Clattenburg's decision understandable.

smelly

May 23, 2004
Transcript Clattenburg/ Mata:

"f*** off ref your a c..t, a f***ing cheating c..your nothing but a f***ing cheat ref"

"Oh piss off"

"You can't talk to me like that I'm reporting you"

Davey Boy Smith

Jul 5, 2003

Isn't the rule 'simulation' rather than diving? This suggests a wider range of issues than simply diving. Whether this extends to include over-reaction to tackles etc I don't know. Personally I like that referees are working to punish offenders on this, no one likes it and a reduction if any magnitude would make the game far better...

If this clampdown is going to be the case throughout the leagues which Brighton players might have to take note? Probably negative for Barnes put would think El-Abd is likely to get others to pick up a yellow?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
They have got a right to be bad losers today...they got f***ed over by some terrible decisions.

Terrible decision to send Torres off after he got a set of studs down his shin. Then ferguson says there was contact but he deserved the card because he went down too esily. Outrageous. I'd like to see Fergie hauled up in front of the FA for that nonsense. Surely, they can charge hi for being a TW*T.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If Torres had not gone in head high with that earlier tackle then there would be no debate really. He would have been allowed his little 'Ow my leg is broken in 8 places' roll around and just taken a single yellow in the match.
And as for Fergie claiming that he went down too easily well he is right but for heavens sake but Young and Welbeck have put the pressure on young Tom Daley recently with some of their recent efforts.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
A whole thread without a video of the incident..?

Personally, I think he went down far too easily. Yes, there was contact. But that doesn't give people the right to fall to the ground and claim a free kick. He could and should've stayed on his feet.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Exactly - The problem is that you'll have to convince the "there was contact, so it's not a dive" brigade - Unfortunately there's a bizarre myth around that contact = foul, mostly propagated by ex player pundits....

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Exactly - The problem is that you'll have to convince the "there was contact, so it's not a dive" brigade - Unfortunately there's a bizarre myth around that contact = foul, mostly propagated by ex player pundits....
It's a good point about the ex- pundits mikeyjh but also a generation thing. The older the pundit the less likely they are going to have any truck with all this throwing yourself down rubbish.

" We have Ron Harris and Dave Mackay in the studio today viewers..............Ron, Dave....... Was there slight contact there " ?

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
This ref had a crap game.The Torres decision in particular was a shocker.The linesman allowed an offside goal.I don't especially like Chelsea but I do like a good game of football,and this one was ruined.Has he used racist language? If he has,will the other officials back him or the players.Oh,do you think ? Could be hours of work for a lip reader going over tapes of the game.

Can Torres appeal,or does the fact of the 2 yellows = red mean he can't? He'll probably get an unwarranted ban whilst the ref and his fellow officials will probably get games next week.

Disgrace.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Just seen this on twitter: Ex-ref Dermot Gallagher tells Sky he thought Torres was fouled and has told Clattenburg. Clatt told him he thought Torres fell suspiciously.

Essentially it's the way that he went down that condemned him to the yellow card. Thought it was a bit harsh as there was contact, but at the same time it was minimal so if he wanted to he could easily have stayed on his feet.

Evans is an idiot for going to ground like that anyway - reacted nowhere near quick enough to the ball and he got a bit lucky. Very clumsy defender at times; can't say I've ever been convinced about him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here