Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chelmsford awarded city status

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Chelmsford is pretty well a London suburb. Always thought that Perth was already a city. Luton? No way.
St. Asaph is an attractive name and is in Wales but know nothing more.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I think Chelmsford may have been chosen for historical reasons, which would be fair if the case I think.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
The highlight was 5 Live accidently announcing Reading as a new City this morning, only to retract it a bit later.

I had visions of scenes reministent of when Paris missed out on the Olympics, with the Mayor and his population on the streets celebrating, only to have their hopes dashed - with a thin drizzle falling and the crowds melting away!

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I already thought Chelmsford was a city to begin with anyway? Isn't there a team in the Blue Square South called Chelmsford CITY?

That was my reaction.

From Wikipedia:
Chelmsford City F.C. is an English semi-professional football club based in the town of Chelmsford, Essex.

Clear as mud. I presume it's because it was once a city but then became a town (and will now revert to being a city).:p

How terribly English.

PG

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
St Asaph is in Wales.

Shows clearly ive no idea where it is then. This "city" has a population of 3,000 people, about the same as the population of the village of Pevensey - quite how that beat Reading (population 232,000) ive absolutely no idea. If they wanted 1 in each country, id of picked Wrexham for Wales myself.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Shows clearly ive no idea where it is then. This "city" has a population of 3,000 people, about the same as the population of the village of Pevensey - quite how that beat Reading (population 232,000) ive absolutely no idea. If they wanted 1 in each country, id of picked Wrexham for Wales myself.

Its nothing to do with population size.

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
Are you sure you didn't mis-hear this on the radio? It might have been 'Chelmsford awarded sh*tty status', that would make far more sense.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
That was my reaction.

From Wikipedia:
Chelmsford City F.C. is an English semi-professional football club based in the town of Chelmsford, Essex.

Clear as mud. I presume it's because it was once a city but then became a town (and will now revert to being a city).:p

How terribly English.

PG

That is probably the most confusing Wikipedia fact, I've ever seen.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Of course it is; indeed, it was once the capital city of Scotland!
So, instead of choosing three towns, they have chosen two cities and a village. Has All Fools Days come early this year or what?

If Perth was awarded it because it was once capital of Scotland, was Chelmsford accorded it for the same reason then - even if it was only for a few days ??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here