Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Cheat. Simple as.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
I do wonder if some players practice diving, or would that be me just getting cynical in my old age

when i was about 13-14, (20 odd years ago now!) and playing youth football for by far the worst team in the league, we actually had a whole training session on diving, and doing roly poly's!
we used to lose every week about 20-0......

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
Exactly.

I thought a penalty should be given if a player is FOULED inside the box. "contact" does not always constitute a foul.

Put it this way, Young would have been laughed off the park if he behaved like that OUTSIDE the box and the refs know it yet when inside the box they lose their rationality.

I like the idea of red for diving inside the box (yellow outside etc.), it would be kinda like the the "auto-red-card-if-the-last-man" offence.

I agree with your idea in principle, but it would be so hard to officiate in practice, and I think would result in even more controversy than there is now.
The other problem is that it doesn't cover the kind of incident that happened today, where the player goes down following only slight contact.
As far as the FA (and presumably FIFA) is concerned, diving (simulation) only occurs when a player goes down when there has been no contact at all.
At the end of the day, I think the referees just need to show a bit more bottle in not awarding these soft penalties.

bhafc arundel

Apr 4, 2012
arundel
i hate the refs...on first name terms with all man utd players and howard webb supports them.The ref today could not wait to give them a pen as did another twat of a ref v qpr.Then another ref bottles it when Murphy for Fulham was fouled in the last minute.Man utd like Liverpool in the 70s and 80s are getting cheap and lucky points at home by shit refs

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Exactly.

I thought a penalty should be given if a player is FOULED inside the box. "contact" does not always constitute a foul.

Put it this way, Young would have been laughed off the park if he behaved like that OUTSIDE the box and the refs know it yet when inside the box they lose their rationality.

I like the idea of red for diving inside the box (yellow outside etc.), it would be kinda like the the "auto-red-card-if-the-last-man" offence.

I don't think this would work. It's bad enough when a blatant penalty isn't given, but having a man sent off and a blatant penalty denied because the ref got it wrong would be a nightmare. With the amount of decisions they're getting wrong these days, it would only ever work if they could use video technology.

I don't think I would like to entrust a referee with the power to send a player off that he thinks is diving.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
The defenders should immediately form a tight circle around the prone form of the diver obscuring the view of officials whilst one of them gives him his just desserts. Not that I'm in favour of violence of course.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Surely a foul has to be committed by the defender? A striker running in a different direction to the ball he's supposed to be in control of and hanging his leg out like that has not been fouled. Refs that give a penalty because there was contact are plain wrong. A penalty should surely be given against the actions of the defender, not just because there was contact and the striker fell over.

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
If anything Young kicked the Villa defender as he pulled his leg away.
Ashley Young was tapped on the shoulder by a Sky reporter to do an interview as they he going off the pitch but he fell to the ground clutching his face

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Reminds me of a young Klinsmann back in the day, I recall brushing the TV in the living room whilst watching the WC and even then he fell over. :D

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's not as though Young is the only offender. Most Premier League players are the same, given the chance. Young, perhaps, has worked a little harder on his swan dive technique (perhaps he's been studying videos of Suarez).

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Good ol' Cherry Nose.

"I think he played for the penalty," said Ferguson. "If the player decides to put his foot in and doesn't straighten his own feet and read the situation, then he's fallen into that.

"He's there for the taking. I think it was a dramatic fall, I think maybe he overdid the fall. But it was a penalty, there was no doubt about that. I don't think there can be any complaints as he does take him.

"Good defending has always been good defending. He's a young lad, don't forget, and if they read the game and keep their feet they should really cope with that.

"He's bought the fact Ashley has jinked in and come inside him. He's gone down quite easily but it was a penalty, he was definitely brought down."

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Despite the perception of United playing cavalier attacking football there has always been a degree of spite and cynicism in some of their players. I can remember that a few years ago when playing Arsenal I was amazed by the number of very harsh challenges on the Arsenal players, Reyes was particularly targeted and United players seemed to take it turns to splatter him wherever he picked up the ball.

Skolsjar often would seem to be playing on roller skates and even Cantona didn't mind eating grass for the cause if necessary. I'm sure that Red Nose should have had a degree of influence over his teams in his 25 odd years in charge, but, it's about the winning not the way you do it I fear.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here