Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlton sack Phil Parkinson (Merged Threads)

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Paul Benson,Charlton's star striker had his appeal turned down for his straight red against Colly but why only 3 games? I thought if you lost the appeal it was increased by an extra match like Virgo?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Paul Benson,Charlton's star striker had his appeal turned down for his straight red against Colly but why only 3 games? I thought if you lost the appeal it was increased by an extra match like Virgo?

Only if the FA decide that the appeal was 'frivolous'.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Is that so? I thought any failed appeal means a fine and one game extra on top to stop clubs appealing.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Is that so? I thought any failed appeal means a fine and one game extra on top to stop clubs appealing.

Not at all. They have the power to impose fines / costs, and to increase the length of the ban, but its on a case by case basis.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Their chairman justified the decision to sack Parkinson by saying they hadn't won a league match since November.

They have played just 4 games in December and Jan, including away dras with us and Colchester!

He's done a pretty good job as far as I can see, they have had virtually nothing to spend and sold some decentish players.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

only if its viewed that the appeal is taking the piss.

If we had appealed Calderon's red then that would have got an added game FO SHO

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
He was the League One Manager of the Month for November!

Not suprised tbh. A good mate of mine who is a STH at Charlton is pretty happy about this and pretty much said "we'd have sacked him in May if we'd had the money", and with the takeover done they obviously had the money to make the change!

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Parky was originally Pardews assistant at Charlton. Seeing as Parkinson lives in North Yorkshire, Newcastle would be an easy commute. I'm sure his old mate could sort him a role there. Just speculation like.........:shrug:

Agreed, Parkinson has had a raw deal. There are some idiots running *some* football clubs these days but you don't need me to tell you that I'm sure.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Maybe if you look at results he's slightly hard done by, but to be honest he's always struck me as one of those utterly clueless, thick-as-shit types. He's another on my 'Pray We Never Employ' list.

Agreed. They played two games over Christmas against teams who only had 10 men for the majority of the game, and couldn't win either. They then lost at home to Swindon, conceding four. Tactically against us at home they were hopeless.

GrahamH65

May 19, 2009
From the BBC Sport site (sorry if fixtures)

"Hopefully a new manager will come in and have the Poyet effect, get us playing good passing football, but playing effective football as well" - TheValleyCafe

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Maybe if you look at results he's slightly hard done by, but to be honest he's always struck me as one of those utterly clueless, thick-as-shit types. He's another on my 'Pray We Never Employ' list.

This. something Adams esque (2nd time round) about him.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Someone said about managers and do they get all the money for the rest of their contract. Have a feeling if they don't take another job and they haven't voided any terms or activated a relegation clause or something then they do. As soon as they take another job though it can affect payments from previous clubs. Often think a settlement happens anyway but think it depends alot on if they remain unemployed.

ValleyFloydroad

Dec 28, 2010
Had a quick look at this site after seeing Poyet drop to 6/1 to take over.
Being honest how we are 5th is mad we've been poor this season should of gone after the home game to your lot
This will make us more of a promotion candidates this season

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Had a quick look at this site after seeing Poyet drop to 6/1 to take over.
Being honest how we are 5th is mad we've been poor this season should of gone after the home game to your lot
This will make us more of a promotion candidates this season

Harsh in my opinion too.
The squad he has is nothing special, with Doherty and Dailly at the back, the slightest bit of a football brain or pace seems to outwit the pair, and there is neither complement each other. Wagstaff seems a decent player, as does Racon, but apart from that i dont think any would get in our current side. Benson (of what i've seen) looks far too lightweight, and apart from Abbott who's scored once, there isn't a lot else in terms of options for you. Compared to Saints, Huddersfield, Wednesday your squad is very poor, i'm not entirely sure what the owners expected.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here