Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlton sack Phil Parkinson (Merged Threads)

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
From what I read of Gus's interview, he suggested that the compensation for early acquittal was very low, whereas in Europe you are guranteed to be paid up to the end of your contract. I am not sure he is right there, because I am pretty sure it was commented that we were still paying off 3 different managers when Slade got sacked. Gus suggested that he had a deal where if he wanted to leave early he would have to pay off his contract in full, and vica versa.

I'm not an expert in contract law but I would have thought that, unless there was a clause to prevent it, then the whole contract would have to be paid up unless the club could prove the manager wasn't performing to the expected standard. They would still need to follow a fairly drawn out process to dismiss the manager for non-performance - performance improvement plans, warnings etc. I would have thought employment law covered football managers as well. Therefore I can only assume that most sacked managers either get the rest of their contract paid or come to an agreement that would still see them fairly well paid off.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I'm not defending the sackings but I think most the managers will get a handsome pay off as most clubs would struggle to prove a sackable offence - especially Charlton !

They aren't being sacked. They are having their contracts paid up. Amounts to the same thing but no offence required since they are meeting the terms of their agreement ie pay a cetain amount of money in salary. Just paying it quicker than everyone thought!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Completely ridiculous decision. Unless he has been nicking money or something?!!! What has he done wrong. They're right in the mix. Bizarre.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I'm not an expert in contract law but I would have thought that, unless there was a clause to prevent it, then the whole contract would have to be paid up unless the club could prove the manager wasn't performing to the expected standard. They would still need to follow a fairly drawn out process to dismiss the manager for non-performance - performance improvement plans, warnings etc. I would have thought employment law covered football managers as well. Therefore I can only assume that most sacked managers either get the rest of their contract paid or come to an agreement that would still see them fairly well paid off.

These things are never "sackings" as most people would know them, though are they. They are always by "mutual consent", subject to certain conditions, whether it be part/all of the contract paid up, non-disclosure agreements etc. These would only be subject to any form of litigation if the parties didn't agree on the terms.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Maybe not winning against ten men two games in a row has something to do with it.

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Weren’t Charlton only taken over a few days ago? Therefore perhaps a Blackburn/Sam Allardyce or Newcastle/Sam Allardyce situation.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Weren’t Charlton only taken over a few days ago? Therefore perhaps a Blackburn/Sam Allardyce or Newcastle/Sam Allardyce situation.

Gotta be Allardyce as their new manager then!

He did a stint in lower league with Notts County.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Having seen them twice in the flesh and a few times on TV I have no idea how they are where they are in the league, if that's the standard of their performance and after a heavy home defeat yesterday (following on from losing at home to Walsall) I'm not surprised they've given him the boot. Although their team is stuffed with mostly average players.

:shrug:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Let's not forget his classic comments after we thrashed them...

"They caught us by surprise by playing a diamond - but they didn't hurt us until we gave them a sloppy goal."

What a berk.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Interesting that Breacker has also been let go by them. Wasn't Gus after him before?

Last edited:

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
Radio 5 has just said Dennis Wise is in talks with Charlton - oh please make this happen...

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
now STOCKPORT have sacked their manager, its CRAZY!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here