Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlton sack Phil Parkinson (Merged Threads)

northernblue

Nov 24, 2010
Everyone is getting sacked at the minute, Hutchings has gone from Walsall today too! Sacking Parky is a bit harsh as they are doing ok in 5th but I suppose the board will have wanted automatic promotion, plus the new guys who have just taken over prob want their own men in. Still bit unfair though IMO

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Shows how crazy football has become-a team in 5th place and three points off an automatic place sacks its management team. Chris Hutchings getting the boot is understandable but it's a strange time for Charlton to choose to be leaderless.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Probably a good decision by Charlton, though this means they might get a better one and perform better :O

Risk though as they might get someone who performs worse!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
The football league has gone sackings crazy! I make that 8 in a couple of weeks. Palace, Preston, Burnley, Walsall, Charlton, Bristol Rovers, Barnet and Hereford.

Plus Micky going to Sheffield United, that makes 10 clubs changing their managers. I suppose this is the effect of the transfer window.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
It is of course ridiculous, they had some stat on the FLS the other day that just about half way through the season, half of the managers in the Championship have been sacked or have moved on.

Gus was right when he said there's not enough protection. How can you sack a manager in 5th place with every chance of the automatics? Although clearly their performance yesterday was woeful.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Gus was right when he said there's not enough protection. How can you sack a manager in 5th place with every chance of the automatics? Although clearly their performance yesterday was woeful.

I'm not defending the sackings but I think most the managers will get a handsome pay off as most clubs would struggle to prove a sackable offence - especially Charlton !

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
Poyet's son plays there and lives very close but no way will he go. Bit harsh on Parkinson, his last 3 games haven't been easy and he only lost 1 of them.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'm not defending the sackings but I think most the managers will get a handsome pay off as most clubs would struggle to prove a sackable offence - especially Charlton !

From what I read of Gus's interview, he suggested that the compensation for early acquittal was very low, whereas in Europe you are guranteed to be paid up to the end of your contract. I am not sure he is right there, because I am pretty sure it was commented that we were still paying off 3 different managers when Slade got sacked. Gus suggested that he had a deal where if he wanted to leave early he would have to pay off his contract in full, and vica versa.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
A large chunk of Charlton's transfer budget will go on paying off his contract.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Seems a bit harsh on Parkinson to me. I'm not sure that he could have done too much more given the constraints they've been under.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
I think Parky has done a good job so far. Prior to the take over, with no money and no real superstars in the side to be in 5th place and still with a chance of going up, was a good achievement. Maybe the new owners don't trust him with their money, if they have any?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here