Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
brightonfan_86 said:
But we need to get behind him

Exactly

The last thing we need before one of the biggest games of the season is for people to start questioning the ability of arguably one of the most influencial people at the club.

The time for inquests and debates about the effectiveness (or otherwise) of the people at the club is after the final game of the season.

In March last season, Mark McGhee was being put forward as the most tactically inept manager EVER but we all know what happened after that.

We have 450 minutes to preserve our staus in this division and I am sure the players will be working their hearts out to make sure that happens - the least we can do is to give them all the encouragement they need

:clap2: :clap2:

Last edited:

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Hiney said:
Exactly

In March last season, Mark McGhee was being put forward as the most tactically inept manager EVER but we all know what happened after that.

Yep, we played well but also had an enourmous slice of luck and got promoted.

This year there is not so luck and the teams we play are better.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I have no problem with Oatway being picked. McGhee probably knows he's not really up to it on the pitch - but as has been said, he's invaluable in the dressing room and in any case we haven't got any money to *guarantee* an improvement. You could question why Hammond doesn't get the nod, but whether he would offer a significant improvement (or any improvement) is highly debateable.

What I do have a problem with is when McGhee plays Adam Virgo in midfield - we already have alternatives in what is our weakest area and Virgo is a very handy defender and striker. I also have a problem with the fact that the manager has abandoned a formation that was serving us so well.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
I always think Oatway looks good in a midfield of 5 (or at least one of 3 central midfielders) as at the start of theis season. Since we have gone to 4 in midfield he has looked stretched and out of his depth.

Simster said:
[BWhat I do have a problem with is when McGhee plays Adam Virgo in midfield [/B]

Are you still banging on about something that happened for 20 minutes as long as 3 games ago? :jester:

It was a specific move to counteract specific problems we had in that match, not a long- or even medium-tern plan.

Has 20 minutes of Albion play where virtually nothing happened ever been so commented upon? It really is a bit SILLY.

And in the same post you question whether Hammond offers a significant improvement in midfield. EXACTLY - that was likely McGhee's thinking.

Last edited:

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Give Oatway his due, earlier in the season he was in the best form of his career. Sadly he seems to have gone off the boil since his suspension.
I think he's at his best with Carpenter alongside him, the two of them know each others game and exactly what areas to cover when they're in the team together. Hardly surprising when they've been together at the club so long.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
London Irish said:
Are you still banging on about something that happened for 20 minutes as long as 3 games ago? :jester:

It was a specific move to counteract specific problems we had in that match, not a long- or even medium-tern plan.

Has 20 minutes of Albion play where virtually nothing happened ever been so commented upon? It really is a bit SILLY.

And in the same post you question whether Hammond offers a significant improvement in midfield. EXACTLY - that was likely McGhee's thinking.

So why no loan signings before it was too late? And don't start moaning on about no money - we were promised that the playing budget would be left alone, we were told it had money left in it, and players have been sold/retired.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Fourteenth Eye said:
Ive never really understood all this Charlie baiting.
The guy is never going to be Zidane but he gives everything & is vital to us....

END OF !!!!!!!!!

No, he is too slow to keep-up with play against anyone faster than Paul Merson, and has no talent - END OF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

His fantastic effort will never be a substitute for his lack of ability at this level. Both are required to succeed.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Havnt stopped in between but a top post.Anyone who reckons Oatway should be in our starting line up must want us back in league 2.

Waterhall Wizard

Only one PETER WARD
Oct 14, 2004
East of Brighton
Fourteenth Eye said:
Ive never really understood all this Charlie baiting./QUOTE]

They've been saying it on here for four seasons now, Fourteenth Eye. They get extra restless in the close season and the piles of crap that comes from their mouths builds mountains. Charlie just keeps on playing and running the show season after season.

There's not one of them who would have the courage to say to his face what they say on this board. I'd like to put the lot of them in a small room with Oatway. He would come out by himself after a few minutes leaving one large heap of spineless bodies on the floor.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Waterhall Wizard said:
Fourteenth Eye said:

They've been saying it on here for four seasons now, Fourteenth Eye. They get extra restless in the close season and the piles of crap that comes from their mouths builds mountains. Charlie just keeps on playing and running the show season after season.

There's not one of them who would have the courage to say to his face what they say on this board. I'd like to put the lot of them in a small room with Oatway. He would come out by himself after a few minutes leaving one large heap of spineless bodies on the floor.

Not quite. The last Championship we won, and probably our best period over recent years, was without him. Peter Taylor knew he was not up to the job and dropped him. We moved up the table and won the championship.

As for telling him to his face, my son told Charlie Junior that we thought that he was no good (somewhat embarasingly, as he is a nice enough guy), we both lived to tell the tale! :lolol:

Waterhall Wizard

Only one PETER WARD
Oct 14, 2004
East of Brighton
3gulls said:
Not quite. The last Championship we won, and probably our best period over recent years, was without him. Peter Taylor knew he was not up to the job and dropped him. We moved up the table and won the championship.

As for telling him to his face, my son told Charlie Junior that we thought that he was no good (somewhat embarasingly, as he is a nice enough guy), we both lived to tell the tale! :lolol:

There's the truth. YOU HIDE BEHIND YOUR SON!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Voroshilov said:
Give Oatway his due, earlier in the season he was in the best form of his career. Sadly he seems to have gone off the boil since his suspension.
I think he's at his best with Carpenter alongside him, the two of them know each others game and exactly what areas to cover when they're in the team together. Hardly surprising when they've been together at the club so long.

This sums up my thoughts.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Waterhall Wizard said:
Fourteenth Eye said:

Do you actually watch Brighton play?Running the show?????whats that -the magic show at the junior seagulls christmas party.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here