Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlie Oatway benefit match

Should Charlie Oatway have a benefit match?

• Yes

Votes: 38 45.8%
  • No

Votes: 45 54.2%

• Total voters

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
No. As he retired injured he will have been paid the insurance.

If anyone was deserving of a benefit it was John Piercey. Having to retire with an illness as opposed to injury means no payout or compensation.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Exactly. I also think it was totally wrong to give Kerry Mayo one. Whatever you think of him as a player (and let's leave that one alone, it's a totally different debate), he undoubtedly earns more money than 95% of the crowd who pay to watch him, for doing a job we would all LOVE to have. So, why should the crowd then hand over more money to someone who is in an incredibly fortunate position anyway? That's not a go at Mayo, I just think testimonials are a joke full stop.

Absolutely spot on:thumbsup:

Although I did go to Kerry's game it was grudgingly as I thought he should have given the money to charity. These guys are very well paid nowadays - benefit matches were relevant years ago when players were paid peanuts but it does seem a bit odd for us to put money in a bucket for someone who's better priveliged and paid than most in the crowd.

And when multi-millionaires like Dennis Irwin and Tony Adams had theirs and made hundreds of thousands of £s it is just obscene.

Testimonial matches are often put into players' contracts of employment - as an incentive for them to accept lower pay than might otherwise be expected.

As fans, we never know the details of players' contracts. These are matters that are negotiated privately. And quite right too.

Is it just me, or are there other people who think it is quite inappropriate for the idea of giving a player a testimonial to be launched in the local media and then given the treatment of a fans' poll on a message board?

Has Charlie Oatway been consulted? Have his employers been asked?

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
I think Charlie should be granted a testimonial, either at the end of this season or pre-season next year. To have spent 8 years with one club is quite a record these days and I believe he would have completed 10 years playing for us if his injury hadn't intervened.

In my opinion the fact that he gets paid more than most of us is totally irrelevant, that's like saying your boss doesn't deserve a pay rise because he already earns too much.

He has been an integral part of our squad for many seasons, both on and off the pitch and, from quotes I've read, he was one of the main players behind the great team spirit which got us promoted twice a few years ago.

I hope that a testimonial match can be held for him but, if not, maybe another idea would be to hold just a fundraising event instead - raceday, dog night etc

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Is it just me, or are there other people who think it is quite inappropriate for the idea of giving a player a testimonial to be launched in the local media and then given the treatment of a fans' poll on a message board?

No, I don't think it's just you. FWIW I think 'benefit' games are certainly a thing of the past... and testimonials should be for very long serving players only (10 years +) at the end of their playing career, and then probably only as a special day to say 'thank you and goodbye' rather than a fundraising event.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf

No, it's not just you. I think the same way.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
No, it's not just you. I think the same way.

As do I. Although agreeing with Lord B is something I usually avoid.

Charlie has given sterling service to the club but so, for example, did Dodge who also retired from the first team to take up a job with them. In Dodge's case, he wouldn't have received an insurance payout either. But that's just one example. There are many others. So while I'm very sorry that Charlie's playing career ended as it did and wish him the very best in future, that doesn't mean he should be given a testimonial.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Charlie's got the insurance money. He's also got the promise of an ongoing job at the club. Sad but life goes on. We GAVE already, and far too often. OGH is the last one under the wire before reality takes hold IMHO. Same 5000 people pissing all their spare income up the wall. Enough is enough. Shame there has to be losers, but we're not bottomless pits y' know ???

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
I dont know why people think that Brighton players are so well paid. I know for a fact that I was getting paid 10 years ago what a first team regular who will remain unnamed earned 2 seasons ago. This isn't me boasting about the amount I earnt (which incidently was a good but not great wage) but just to highlight that players aren't paid anything like what people think - at least not the majority of them.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex

In answer to your questions Lord B:

Yes and yes.

Otherwise I certainly wouldn't have brought the subject up.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

In answer to your questions Lord B:

Yes and yes.

Otherwise I certainly wouldn't have brought the subject up.

In which case then ,what is the point of the poll?

You either know it will happen or that it wont.

If the former, then a pointless debate

If the latter then you will know the reasons why.

Or alternatively are you saying that they have they asked you to carry out some research to see what the fans want?

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
It was mentioned that the sqaurd of 16 against leeds got a total of £13,000 a week between them

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here