Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlie Oatway benefit match

Should Charlie Oatway have a benefit match?

• Yes

Votes: 38 45.8%
  • No

Votes: 45 54.2%

• Total voters

Frank Inkerman

Veteran of the Crimea
Has Charlie Oatway been consulted? Have his employers been asked?

In answer to your questions Lord B:

Yes and yes.

Otherwise I certainly wouldn't have brought the subject up.

Would I be right in assuming that one or neither of them agreed with you so you are trying to get a positive poll result on NSC to take to them as evidence of 'popular demand'?

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
In which case then ,what is the point of the poll?

You either know it will happen or that it wont.

If the former, then a pointless debate

If the latter then you will know the reasons why.

Or alternatively are you saying that they have they asked you to carry out some research to see what the fans want?

Adrian

To actually guage some kind of opinion.

Having been part of the organising committee for Kerry I know its a lot of hard work, if people are not that keen about a game then the people who are prepared to help Charlie and organise this would have to look at some other function.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I dont know why people think that Brighton players are so well paid. I know for a fact that I was getting paid 10 years ago what a first team regular who will remain unnamed earned 2 seasons ago. This isn't me boasting about the amount I earnt (which incidently was a good but not great wage) but just to highlight that players aren't paid anything like what people think - at least not the majority of them.

It's no good posting that unless you give us figures.

You are not breaking confidence by giving out figures only, surely?

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Adrian

... if people are not that keen about a game then the people who are prepared to help Charlie and organise this would have to look at some other function.

Who would these organisers be? Only I'd have thought that most people involved in Kerry's event would want a rest from testimonials given the 2 years or so it all took for his to come together.

What was Dick's reaction when you spoke to him on Saturday night?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Definite no from me.

He was a hard worker, but then so are most people in their jobs.

I accept he's hardly going to be on Premiership wages, but the fact remains that even League 2 players (and many Conference ones) earn more than the national average wage (which was about £26,000 a year last time I looked).

He'll have had an insurance pay out, he's limped straight into a nice ready made job courtesy of Dick Knight's generosity, and he's still young enough to retrain, should he wish to do something different. Which would no doubt be supported financially by the PFA.

He may well be the Funniest Man In Football (c)1997, and one life's triers, but will hardly go down in history as an Albion legend (moderate cult hero to some perhaps, but not remotely in the legend category). I've forked out hundreds of pounds a season for the past seven or eight years to witness his particular talents, and I doubt many fans would feel the need to donate further money right now, just to pay off his mortgage or whatever.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
No. 10 years you get a testamonial, 8 you don't. End of.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I think Ian Chapman is more deserving, and Gary Hart is due one at the end of this season I believe. So although I think Charlie does deserve a testimonial I reckon he should join the queue!

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Definitetly....NO. We already have a major problem getting just 5000 people to the games that count, without an additional fixture containing the promise of "stars" attending, only to drop out faster than the England squad for a friendly International.
If Harty bothers to read NSC, he might notice that the cost of football is prohibitive to a number of people on here. Why on earth would people stretch their budgets even further, to boost the pay packet of somebody who has earned well above the average supporter's wage....?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here