Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlie Brooker on Andy Murray

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
As I said earlier, contrast when Nadal, Federer or any of the other top players are losing. They don't go round the court sulking, feeling sorry for themselves, looking like they're carrying an injury. They get their heads down, concentrate and focus their energy on upping their game. That's what champions do and it's something Murray, at the moment, lacks.

Really?

Oh...

Nadal upset by Rosol in second round at Wimbledon

"In the third set, a frustrated Nadal complained to the chair umpire about Rosol's antics before his serve. The 6-foot-5 Czech was dancing around on the baseline and making heavy breathing noises while Nadal prepared to serve.

After Nadal's complaints went ignored, he sulked around the court and then appeared to deliberately brush into Rosol during a changeover."

Brilliant piece about Murray. As I've said before, I've never understood the anti-Murray thing, and, to be honest, I still don't really. Apart from the fact that he is Scottish, and doesn't like England. Standard fare, no?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't think much of that article, to be honest.

For Murray's tennis to move up to the Nadal / Federer / Djokovic level he needs to lighten up, he needs to smile, he needs to be philosophical. This involves shrugging off adversity, rather than inwardly reflecting on his apparent misfortune.

I believe that Sunday might be a breakthrough for him as he "feels the love" of a nation. Federer's endorsement that Murray will win a major in the future is testament to the fact Murray is upping his game.

I think people want Andy to smile more because they feel it will help him and his game. And they're probably right.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
For Murray's tennis to move up to the Nadal / Federer / Djokovic level he needs to lighten up, he needs to smile

No he doesn't

Federer's endorsement that Murray will win a major in the future is testament to the fact Murray is upping his game.

No it's not.

I think people want Andy to smile more because they feel it will help him and his game. And they're probably right.

No they're not.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
For Murray's tennis to move up to the Nadal / Federer / Djokovic level he needs to lighten up, he needs to smile, he needs to be philosophical.

Complete bollogs imho - it never did former World number one Ivan Lendl any harm to have a dour persona. McEnroe/Borg/Sampras weren't exactly smiley players, nor many successful players in the women's game.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010

For Murray's tennis to move up to the Nadal / Federer / Djokovic level he needs to lighten up, he needs to smile, he needs to be philosophical. This involves shrugging off adversity, rather than inwardly reflecting on his apparent misfortune.

I believe that Sunday might be a breakthrough for him as he "feels the love" of a nation. Federer's endorsement that Murray will win a major in the future is testament to the fact Murray is upping his game.

Smiling more won't help him win anything. Stopping sulking and acting like he's in pain when he's loses a point however, will.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Complete bollogs imho - it never did former World number one Ivan Lendl any harm to have a dour persona. McEnroe/Borg/Sampras weren't exactly smiley players, nor many successful players in the women's game.

You've got this wrong. It's not just about being grumpy. Andy Murray manages to turn his negativity into something of a 'self-destruct' button. The other players named didn't have that issue; McEnroe managed to overcome his and Murray must too.

Just look at the amount of futile challenges Murray made in those 3rd and 4th sets; Federer hardly ever bothered to challenge even when the replay showed he would have been successful. This is testament to Federer's champion winning mentality, his ability - like Borg - to maintain an even keel. By Murray challenging those points he'd clearly lost he was saying to Federer "I'm a desperate man, Roger", giving the Swiss a huge psychological advantage.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As I said earlier, contrast when Nadal, Federer or any of the other top players are losing. They don't go round the court sulking, feeling sorry for themselves, looking like they're carrying an injury. They get their heads down, concentrate and focus their energy on upping their game. That's what champions do and it's something Murray, at the moment, lacks.

Thing is, they probably have a lot more self confidence than Murray, as they have won countless slams. They have nothing to prove to anyone. Murray has it all the prove, to himself and to SO many people who are on his back. I find it odd that you don't think people who show their emotions on court. I'd prefer it, if anything. He cares about winning, it means a LOT to him. I don't buy the "faking injuries" crap and all that, he's just letting emotions out that show quite clearly how much it all means to him.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

I'll be the 4th person out of 4 to say that's utter bollocks.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Murray has proclaimed himself as Scottish and Anti-English, I will never like him.

Oh for FUCKS sake.

NO

HE

HASN'T.

How do people STILL not get that it was a lighthearted joke, in the middle of banter? Sake.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Thing is, they probably have a lot more self confidence than Murray, as they have won countless slams. They have nothing to prove to anyone. Murray has it all the prove, to himself and to SO many people who are on his back. I find it odd that you don't think people who show their emotions on court. I'd prefer it, if anything. He cares about winning, it means a LOT to him. I don't buy the "faking injuries" crap and all that, he's just letting emotions out that show quite clearly how much it all means to him.

It's a matter of opinion on how we both interpret his body language differently. I don't like it, you do. Nowt more than that!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's a matter of opinion on how we both interpret his body language differently. I don't like it, you do. Nowt more than that!

Fair enough, but the whole thing that people think he's boring and should smile more IS f***ing stupid, whether you like him as he is or not, expecting him to pander to the cameras etc is bollocks.

I don't "like" his body language, I think it just suggests a completely regular bloke.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
What a joke like John Terry's? He can still f*** off as far as i'm concerned.

Brilliant. So, the fact that what you stated has been shown to be wrong doesn't actually make a difference?

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Fair enough, but the whole thing that people think he's boring and should smile more IS f***ing stupid, whether you like him as he is or not, expecting him to pander to the cameras etc is bollocks.

I don't "like" his body language, I think it just suggests a completely regular bloke.

Oh of that I completely agree. That and the joke argument that he hates the English, utter rubbish.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I wonder what Charlie Brooker would say if he read this thread? Don't suppose anyone can tweet him the link?...

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
More often than not I think he is an exxagerated character saying what he needs to, in a shocking enough way, to get himself on TV.

But then he hmmers the nail into the board like this article and he reminds me that he isn't JUST pandering for TV coverage but that he is actually an itelligent guy. Well written, mr Brooker.

kind of agree with this

Loved him before. Then got lent two of his books (collections of articles) and read them back to back and started to weary a little of his style. But, as you say, he really does get it spot on sometimes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here