Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlie Austin or Brad WP?

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Why is Wright-Phillips pure fantasy?
For the top scorer in the league he looks very attainable.

I think a Championship side will sign him if he's leaving. We could probably afford the fee, but I'd be surprised if clubs higner up aren't interested.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
BWP earning 8.5K per week reportedly. Plymouth will surely have to get rid but he is well out of our reach I would think

(worth noting as well that after a run of goals he has hit a bit of a dry period so maybe the luck isn't with him or maybe he isn't on form? Plymouth fans think his purple patch of scoring form may not be repeated and - assuming he has to go - would rather he went soon before his run without goals extends further and reduces his value - bearing in mind he is out of contract at the end of the season anyway)

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Obviously I do not know and this is all suposition but I wpould think the offer from Hull was derisory one of £250k or so and they will comeback with a more realistic one in the region of £500k +. If any club offered anywhere near £1m I would expect Swindon to offer to drive him to he club for that money.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Bradley W.P was the player Man City wanted when he & his brother signed, due to the fact that they were young & for one reason or another didn't want to get split up. Shaun was a make weight in the deal and BWP was the talented one but didn't settle as well as SWP who started a family in Manchester. BWP is now beginning to show his talent so I think could yet improve & be a realistic target although he isn't "The Special One"

Noone is obviously the target from Plymouth but BWP is also on the radar as one of them will have to go to balance the books in Jan with the other going in the summer. If they both went Argyle fans would have a square shit.

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
I, personally, would prefer Charlie Austin, living in Poole of course :laugh: But no, he seems to score more and people all come to the conclusion he is a good player, whereas a lot of people think BWP is not good...

...Not going to get either though

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
A very good Saints supporting friend of mine reckons we should avoid Wright-Phillips like the plague

Or at least make sure you know where your valuables are.

Eh?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Obviously I do not know and this is all suposition but I wpould think the offer from Hull was derisory one of £250k or so and they will comeback with a more realistic one in the region of £500k +. If any club offered anywhere near £1m I would expect Swindon to offer to drive him to he club for that money.

I think £600k + Glenn Murray in exchange would also do it.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Rumour on Swindon's Town End Forum is that Reading have a bid in for Austin of £1m rising to £2m if promoted. The Hull offer which was rejected is rumoured to have been £1.7m and would have quadrupled Austin's wages. Whether accurate or not they put any interest we may have into perspective

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cannot believe that Hull offered that amount of money as I feel sure that Swindon would have snatched their hands off. Was that on Swindons version of NSC, which would possibly explain it

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Rumour on Swindon's Town End Forum is that Reading have a bid in for Austin of £1m rising to £2m if promoted. The Hull offer which was rejected is rumoured to have been £1.7m and would have quadrupled Austin's wages. Whether accurate or not they put any interest we may have into perspective

Transfer fees sound reasonable but the wages sound a bit outrageous

Ringmer bha

Dec 3, 2009

Rumours like you mention are generally started by a bored 15 yr old with no brain and a love of noughts. The rumour then gets replicated in varying formats around chat sites until suddenly they are treated as fact. Reason and logic are then dispensed with.

Think carefully here. At the beginning of the season one of Swindon's most important players was Gordan Greer. We pushed and pushed them and eventually took him on board for some 200 or 300 thousand. Since then they have shipped goals and yet they have not forked out for a replacement. Money, it would seem is not as free flowing there as we are led to believe at the town.

Meanwhile along comes charlie austin who bangs in a hatful of goals and suddenly he is worth some 2 million. Do you honestly think they wouldn't lock him in the boot and drive him to Hull for that?

If anyone pays more than a quarter of 2 million for him then they are insane and if anyone quadruaples his wages then they too should be locked up. For those reasons I would suggest that the person who started the 'rumour' you refer to (presumably on the Swindon site) is indeed....insane.

But then what do I know.

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Don't disagree with Ringmer's comments about the reliability of fans' forums. You only need to look on here!

However as Austin has only been out of non-league for 18 months his wages are probably not all-that, so a deal reportedly quadrupling them isn't beyond he realms of possibility. I think the suggested Hull offer is way off target but I'm not so sure that Reading wouldn't have been quoted £1m + add-ons for him as they have said that they are in the market for a striker and might be thought to have some money available (although that is debatable). I would not be at all surprised if a "protesting" Swindon weren't forced to sell (and even more so, not surprised if negotiations weren't fairly advanced already).

Suggesting that Austin couldn't possibly attract a £1m punt seems unrealistic when many more far-fetched deals have been struck. Whatever, it would be out of our reach I'm sure.

Wright-Phillips is rumoured to have attracted a £300K bid from Huddersfield. Given the fact that he has only 6 months to run on his contract and Plymouth's parlous financial state, that seems a very good fee. Again reading through the forums his salary is suggested to be (a self-reported) £8k per week plus bonuses for each goal scored. That has got to be way too rich for us.

My point in quoting what the various forums are saying is that it does show that there is a very competitive market for the few proven goalscorers available and whether in terms of transfer fee or salary, there are far bigger players than us in that market.

My suggestions for possible central striker targets are somewhat more mundane in Jennings from Tranmere or Madine from Carlisle and I might be tempted to have a crafty little bet on the latter.

Ringmer bha

Dec 3, 2009
Don't disagree with Ringmer's comments about the reliability of fans' forums. You only need to look on here!

However as Austin has only been out of non-league for 18 months his wages are probably not all-that, so a deal reportedly quadrupling them isn't beyond he realms of possibility. I think the suggested Hull offer is way off target but I'm not so sure that Reading wouldn't have been quoted £1m + add-ons for him as they have said that they are in the market for a striker and might be thought to have some money available (although that is debatable). I would not be at all surprised if a "protesting" Swindon weren't forced to sell (and even more so, not surprised if negotiations weren't fairly advanced already).

Suggesting that Austin couldn't possibly attract a £1m punt seems unrealistic when many more far-fetched deals have been struck. Whatever, it would be out of our reach I'm sure.

Wright-Phillips is rumoured to have attracted a £300K bid from Huddersfield. Given the fact that he has only 6 months to run on his contract and Plymouth's parlous financial state, that seems a very good fee. Again reading through the forums his salary is suggested to be (a self-reported) £8k per week plus bonuses for each goal scored. That has got to be way too rich for us.

My point in quoting what the various forums are saying is that it does show that there is a very competitive market for the few proven goalscorers available and whether in terms of transfer fee or salary, there are far bigger players than us in that market.

My suggestions for possible central striker targets are somewhat more mundane in Jennings from Tranmere or Madine from Carlisle and I might be tempted to have a crafty little bet on the latter.

You are closer to the mark with your comments but you too have been reeled in with refering to the forums and a particular player being out of our reach based on what you read.

I doubt he is out of our reach when it comes to fee and possibly salary. If he is wanted by a team in a higher division then I guess that'll dictate his next move unless Gus can work his magic.

Oh no... I've been dragged in. How the hell do I know we are even looking at him! I hope Gus signs a couple of unknown Spanish players and puts the speculators to bed once and for all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here