Changing Windows Resolution under XP

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
VidRes V2.3.0.0
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.jddesign.f2s.com/vidres.htm

VidRes is an easy to use (free) Windows utility that enables you to quickly switch the display resolution.

You can use it interactively, or from the command line.

Possible uses are:

· To switch between high-resolution modes and standard VGA resolution when
playing older Windows games or applications that would otherwise only
occupy a small area of the display.

THIS HAS BEEN TESTED AND IT WORKS WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
*wanker*

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
andy2.JPG

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Juan Albion said:
To be fair, he does talk about "standard VGA resolution" and if memory serves, that is 640x480, which is too low for many graphics cards these days, including mine, which only goes down to 800x600.

s/card/dodgy Windows driver

ALL cards MUST support 640x480 at 8 bit colour or else they cannot use the terms VGA, SVGA, XGA, etc. 640x480@8 is the VESA baseline, and VESA are the video standards authority

Your BIOS boot screen uses 640x480.....

Juan Albion

MYOB said:
s/card/dodgy Windows driver

ALL cards MUST support 640x480 at 8 bit colour or else they cannot use the terms VGA, SVGA, XGA, etc. 640x480@8 is the VESA baseline, and VESA are the video standards authority

Your BIOS boot screen uses 640x480.....

Indeed, but I'm talking about the quick and easy option on the Desktop Properties. Of course it can support 640x480 or Perseus's solution wouldn't work either, would it?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
My drivers export the 640x480 modelines still. As do every other card I've ever useds, including the elcrappy Intels...

That app is possibly for use by those who are locked out of the system prefs panel

Juan Albion

MYOB said:
My drivers export the 640x480 modelines still. As do every other card I've ever useds, including the elcrappy Intels...

That app is possibly for use by those who are locked out of the system prefs panel

I think what Perseus is trying to offer is an easy way to achieve an end. Not many would know anything about exporting modelines.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Juan Albion said:
I think what Perseus is trying to offer is an easy way to achieve an end. Not many would know anything about exporting modelines.

Err, exporting a modeline is something the DRIVER does. And 99.95% of drivers export the modelines for 640x480@8, @16, @24 and @32, if not even @15. It takes one more line of code per modeline, so it saves basically nothing to the coder to not do it

You can't bruteforce a modeline if the driver doesn't have it, so that app would still be useless.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country

Juan Albion

MYOB said:
Err, exporting a modeline is something the DRIVER does. And 99.95% of drivers export the modelines for 640x480@8, @16, @24 and @32, if not even @15. It takes one more line of code per modeline, so it saves basically nothing to the coder to not do it

You can't bruteforce a modeline if the driver doesn't have it, so that app would still be useless.

And to the layman you think that means what?

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Under Windows 95 and probably later versions, you could tick a box to enable a little icon to appear in the bottom right of your computer screen.
This enabled a rapid and easy way to change the screen resolution.

I could not find how to put this icon there on Windows XP. This program seems to be easiest way to do it. I put a VDRes shortcut on my desktop and click on that. Not as elegant as the small icon.

It is, of course, possible to change the screen resolution through Display Panel, but it takes more clicks and I have to remember how to do it.

Very clever computer people could design a way to put a little icon somewhere convenient.

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
perseus said:

Very clever computer people could design a way to put a little icon somewhere convenient.

Put a shortcut in the quickstart menu in the taskbar?

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Juan, for some reason, I had failed to find the right-clicking way. This is probably the easiest way to do it. The program is not much use afterall. It does give a few extra resolutions, but these are not very useful. I would still like the little icon though.

Puttting a shortcut in the quickstart taskbar isn't very satisfactory because there are too many programs on my computer to fit in on 800 x 600 resolution, and one of the reasons to change the resolution is to see the full gamut of shortcuts and programs.

What do people use as a Picture Manager under XP? I use ACDSee (which is great) as the XP Picture Manager is naff?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here